Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Thomas Ashcraft
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/10/07

Mount - solely for Jupiter fireball patrol new
      #3884840 - 06/25/10 12:56 AM

Topic : Jupiter fireball patrol telescope

I want to set up a telescope and mount with one sole dedicated purpose, which will be to track Jupiter through the night for continuous video using a DMK 41 camera. The goal would be videography rather than astrophotography which means that I would only need the mount to track Jupiter and maintain Jupiter relatively centered in the camera frame. I would not need the tracking precision required for astro-photography work.

The mount and scope will essentially be unattended except for turning it on before I go to bed and turning it off in the morning. ( I suppose I might still need to do a meridian flip. Not sure about that.)

I am thinking that a 10" SCT will be an adequate telescope to detect larger fireballs. Weight of this scope might be about 30 pounds or so.

The mount will not need any go-to functions.

Money is a factor. I figure that if I shop for used equipment I can manifest some sort of mount and scope for $1,000 or less for this purpose.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome and I thank you in advance.

If I can clarify anything please ask as I am in the initial stages of this project but am ready to manifest what is required.

Thanks!

Thomas | New Mexico

PS : I already built a prototype system using an Orion ED 100 refractor and a CG5-gt mount. But, to do useful science I see I will need a bigger telescope which may or may not require a larger mount.
Here is a link for a short prototype video of what I am trying to do. I definitely need more aperture.
http://www.heliotown.com/J20100610__0952utAshcraft_FL.mp4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mount - solely for Jupiter fireball patrol [Re: Thomas Ashcraft]
      #3884908 - 06/25/10 02:23 AM

a fork mount would remove the issues with meridian flip... ideally something like a Meade LX200 or LX90 would do. These are pretty good at keeping objects centered for many hours.

On a small budget, buy an Autostar 497 and Meade DS motors, and make a home-made fork mount.

http://bedair.org/ScopeStuff.html

as the Autostar 497 is the same one used on the LXD55 / LXD75, you can get pretty decent performance. You can buy the controllers and motors on ebay from lipstickonapig or scopehed1 (ebay ID's).

Another approach is to buy an old fork-mounted SCT like a C8 or Meade LX10, and get the Meade DS/autostar motors to robotize it. There's a Meade 10" OTA for $300 - $400 on a-mart right now... but a C8 fork mount can be had for $350.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 446

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics