Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Steph]
      #5863183 - 05/15/13 08:48 PM

I bought another mint three volume hard copy set of BCH at Half Price Books for $6.00 ea. For that price I'll keep two sets!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5863210 - 05/15/13 09:18 PM

I can't believe what just happened. I was checking out the 1st addition on Amazon, and had forgot it was logged into my sons account. He has 1 touch buying setup, and some how I just accidentally purchased the digital copy. I see no way for refund. I can't believe this. If I'm stuck I'm done with them. I was perfectly happy with my hardcovers all for less than I just spent. I don't even own a Kindle.

Edited by Wmacky (05/15/13 09:33 PM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5863286 - 05/15/13 09:57 PM

I couldn't resist, I bought the Kindle set. Wonderul! I love spending time with these books. So far the only problem I have is that volume 1 lacks a usable table of contents. I'll generate one that lists where each chapter begins.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5863433 - 05/15/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

I can't believe what just happened. I was checking out the 1st addition on Amazon, and had forgot it was logged into my sons account. He has 1 touch buying setup, and some how I just accidentally purchased the digital copy. I see no way for refund. I can't believe this. If I'm stuck I'm done with them. I was perfectly happy with my hardcovers all for less than I just spent. I don't even own a Kindle.

Email them. They'll usually refund Kindle purchases within 7 days.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Steph]
      #5863463 - 05/15/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Email them. They'll usually refund Kindle purchases within 7 days.

I second this, call, email or chat with them. The few times that I have needed help over the many years of using Amazon, they have had great customer service. I bet hundreds of people do the same sort of thing every day, select things by mistake.

gmartin02
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5863582 - 05/16/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

I wish B&N had the digital edition - I am a confirmed Nook only user (partly due to my philosophical difference with Amazaon's "crush the competition to create a monopoly" digital publishing practices).

Please - anyone using Nook should go to the B&N web site and click on the "Want to read this on your NOOK? Request as NOOK Book from the publisher" link. Unfortunately, B&N only lists Volume 1 & 3 in paperback, so there is no link to request a Nook version for Volume 2.

B&N just added Nook editions of BCH, but only for Volumes 1 & 3 (see above) - $16.49 each. The Volume 3 preview is active, and it looks like the same format and hyperlink layout as the Kindle edition.

I wonder if my request helped them add it to their inventory? Now I have to figure out a way to request Volume 2 in the Nook edition...

Greg

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5863643 - 05/16/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Bump...

It appears that all 3 volumes are now available on Amazon as Kindle Edition ebooks.

Volume 1 - $19.31
Volume 2 - $14.51
Volume 3 - $16.49

Greg

Aaaaahhhhhh this is wonderful news!!! I'm always reading hard copies and my wife wants to hang me sometimes. I see her looking at me saying, are you ever going to put those books down!!!!!!!! And I quietly say I'm sorry, but I just cant put'm down. With a Kindle, she won't know I've been reading the same book again and again for the past 20 years.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5863724 - 05/16/13 02:58 AM

Like others, I have both the softcover and hardcover versions; the kindle/digital editions are nice, but not $50 nice My magic mark would be $9.99 x 3, I would strongly consider ...

Two things came to mind whilst browsing the samples:

1) I presume Dover wholly owns the copyright to the BCH, no royalties paid to anyone?

2) iirc I spotted an error in vol 3, picture of a glob repeated twice, second time with caption as a galaxy NGC xxxx - will report back on the actual page ref.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: core]
      #5864007 - 05/16/13 09:31 AM

There are more than a few errors, none of them fatal. And Dover is not likely to correct anything, even if they could.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: rmollise]
      #5865361 - 05/16/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

There are more than a few errors

Uncle Rod,

I meant errors in the Kindle edition compared to the print edition - eg, look at Vol III in the kindle sample, last couple of pages. There a pic of M15 with the M15 caption (pg 1384 in the print edition), and then for the next image it (kindle) uses the same M15 picture, with the Spiral Galaxy NGC 7331 caption (pg 1386 print edition). It's glaringly obvious, and hopefully it's not an indication that the rest of the books are riddled with such mistakes

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: core]
      #5866700 - 05/17/13 09:33 AM

One slip up doesn't imply the digital versions are riddle with errors, of course, but considering how little effort it would take to double check something as basic as image captions, that one is hard to excuse.

Having some experience, now, in the realm of ebook production, I have to agree that the prices set for these conversions are too high. But that does seem to be SOP for traditional publishers.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5867170 - 05/17/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

B&N just added Nook editions of BCH, but only for Volumes 1 & 3 (see above) - $16.49 each. The Volume 3 preview is active, and it looks like the same format and hyperlink layout as the Kindle edition.[...]

Greg

Volume 2 is at B&N, it's just not listed correctly. You can find it by going to the page for Volume 1, and clicking on the Nook editions (2) and the list there will show Vol 1 and Vol 2. Clink onthe link to Vol 2, and it will take you to the correct page from which you can buy the book. The link that worked for me is BCH Vol 2 at B&N.

If there are on the web lists of errata, updated notes or locations, etc. for BCH (the printed volumes) I would much appreciate pointers to them. I intend to put them to use.

SAC has a BCH observing list, looks like Steve Coe put it together, at SAC dowloads page (see bottom) . If it's not already done, I will try to put it into ST3 format.

gmartin02
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5868110 - 05/17/13 08:46 PM

Thanks Lee...the Nook set is also a few bucks cheaper than the Kindle set

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5868843 - 05/18/13 06:26 AM

Dear Deranged; (how often do you get to say that??)

I don't know what ST3 format is, but the files I created are in Excel, text with comma delimit for database managers and text with a vertical fence for simple editors.

All the data was pulled out of SAC database version 8.1.

Hope that helps;
Steve Coe

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5869473 - 05/18/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

Dear Deranged; (how often do you get to say that??)

I don't know what ST3 format is, but the files I created are in Excel, text with comma delimit for database managers and text with a vertical fence for simple editors.

All the data was pulled out of SAC database version 8.1.

Hope that helps;
Steve Coe

Sorry, ST3 = Sky Tools 3. I know it has import functions, but I am a new user and haven't dug into them yet. I have downloaded the .xls file, and also the Burnhams_Doc.txt file that explains the spreadsheet.

Thank you for putting together this list, along with the many other contributions you have made to amateur astronomy.

Regards,
Deranged (Lee)

The user name comes from a Magic the Gathering playing card I was fond of, and also somewhat from Douglas Adams' Wonko the Sane character, and, well, I'll not say more.

BTW, I suspect you have observed more objects visually than almost anyone who has ever lived.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5869491 - 05/18/13 02:48 PM

Deranged,
What is that in your avatar? It looks like Frazetta (or Frazetta-inspired) art, but I can't make out what it is. Can you link me to the original, if it's online somewhere?
Thanks!

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

#5869504 - 05/18/13 02:51 PM

The epubs are huge, partly from the images that are images in the books, but also from the use of images of text and tables they did not want to manually enter. I am investigating fonts that may contain the needed Greek letters, probably a Unicode font with support at "Greek and Coptic" (U+0370 to U+03FF). I don't know if the Nook has a font internally with such support.

I suppose it is a good way to break down and finally learn the Greek alphabet.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5869535 - 05/18/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

Deranged,
What is that in your avatar? It looks like Frazetta (or Frazetta-inspired) art, but I can't make out what it is. Can you link me to the original, if it's online somewhere?
Thanks!

It's from a Magic the Gathering game card. Wizards of the Coast - Deranged Hermit My son started playing at a very early age, 8 or 9, and was a whiz at actual game play. But he had problems with deck building. I got interested, and found he had a preference for huge, slow creatures. I saw an opportunity to explain the power of multiplying vs adding. "When Deranged Hermit enters the battlefield, put four 1/1 green Squirrel creature tokens onto the battlefield. Squirrel creatures get +1/+1." 1/1 is as weak as it gets, but whey you have a DH or two in play, and add another key card or two(also multiplicative in effect), our "Hermit" deck "went off" (exploded in power) on turn 3 or 4. Opponents laughed the first time they saw the early play, but then things got desperate for them in a hurry. By age 11 he was winning small local tournaments against open fields (grown men, hard-core gamers). I think (hope) my son stil has a DH signed by Richard Garfield, the game's creator.

And I like the picture, and the name sort of fits me.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

#5869725 - 05/18/13 04:54 PM

Quote:

SAC has a BCH observing list, looks like Steve Coe put it together, at SAC dowloads page (see bottom) . If it's not already done, I will try to put it into ST3 format.

Burnham's objects are already available for download for Sky Tools 3 owners from the web site, so I don't need to do it immediately. At some point, I'll compare the lists.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5871517 - 05/19/13 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Deranged,
Thanks!

It's from a Magic the Gathering game card. Wizards of the Coast - Deranged Hermit My son started playing at a very early age, 8 or 9, and was a whiz at actual game play. But he had problems with deck building. I got interested, and found he had a preference for huge, slow creatures. I saw an opportunity to explain the power of multiplying vs adding. "When Deranged Hermit enters the battlefield, put four 1/1 green Squirrel creature tokens onto the battlefield. Squirrel creatures get +1/+1." 1/1 is as weak as it gets, but whey you have a DH or two in play, and add another key card or two(also multiplicative in effect), our "Hermit" deck "went off" (exploded in power) on turn 3 or 4. Opponents laughed the first time they saw the early play, but then things got desperate for them in a hurry. By age 11 he was winning small local tournaments against open fields (grown men, hard-core gamers). I think (hope) my son stil has a DH signed by Richard Garfield, the game's creator.

And I like the picture, and the name sort of fits me.

Ah! Thanks.
The artist seems to have studied many Yes album covers and paperbacks with Frank Frazetta cover art. I like that style.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21309

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics