Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: WOBentley]
      #3904068 - 07/05/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

If you do get this off the ground I'd be interested in it, especially in the e-pub format...
Love reading the hard copies, but it would be fun to take this with me to star parites etc. on my e-book (I own the "Nook" version)and much more "packing space friendly"

I'm with you there. I'm leaning toward ePub (mainly for most ebook readers and the iPad) and PDF (mostly for computers) formats.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #3904117 - 07/05/10 02:22 PM

For anyone looking to obtain Burnham's Celestial Handbook in its original hardback edition, particularly those of you who live in northern California (I live in the heart of the Gold Rush country myself) Trinity County Library in Weaverville, CA has it listed in their book sale page:

Library Book Sales-Complete Listing from Friends of Trinity County Library

It's the 6th entry from the top on this page. Item #004 with a link to buy it from them. According to the entry, it seems the volumes are in very good condition. Some details are provided.

burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
      #3911470 - 07/09/10 11:40 AM Attachment (97 downloads)

I scanned my 3-volume set of BCH into 3 PDF files. They total 1.9 + Gigabytes.
Each PDF is searchable, but some of the typesetting was a little crude, and the OCR routines didn't pick up everything.
I do not consider this a copyright violation because It is a digital backup copy of the volumes that I purchased, and I have never sold a copy of it.
I toyed with the idea of charging someone to do the same service on their volumes. Since I have to cut the pages apart to get the best scanning results, I didn't think that anyone would want to do that. However, the resulting digital media is searchable, is nice to work with, and you can look at the maps, diagrams, and text at the telescope with your laptop.
I bookmarked each constellation, and their lists of double and variable stars, as well as the lists of clusters, galaxies, nebula and descriptive notes. See an example screen of a search for M 8:

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: burb scope]
      #3911612 - 07/09/10 01:00 PM

Quote:

I scanned my 3-volume set of BCH into 3 PDF files. They total 1.9 + Gigabytes.
Each PDF is searchable, but some of the typesetting was a little crude, and the OCR routines didn't pick up everything.
I do not consider this a copyright violation because It is a digital backup copy of the volumes that I purchased, and I have never sold a copy of it.
I toyed with the idea of charging someone to do the same service on their volumes. Since I have to cut the pages apart to get the best scanning results, I didn't think that anyone would want to do that. However, the resulting digital media is searchable, is nice to work with, and you can look at the maps, diagrams, and text at the telescope with your laptop.
I bookmarked each constellation, and their lists of double and variable stars, as well as the lists of clusters, galaxies, nebula and descriptive notes. See an example screen of a search for M 8:

Ah! Very nice! As I mentioned in my original and earlier posts, I considered making a PDF version as well as the ePub version I'm working on now. Guess I don't need to worry about that now. I figured for certain someone would've already done that, but only because he/she was brave enough to tear a copy of the book apart to do it.

The goal behind my project is to make it as beautiful and versatile as any eBook or iBook (as my primary thought was to get it onto the iPad) out there. The commitment requires that I at least make the minor corrections needed, such as for type spacing issues, spelling and punctuation, make some graphs/charts bigger as well as update some photos with sharper, color images except for those that really need to be black-and-white with respect to their historical significance. Obviously, indexing and searching are a must in any ePub document. THe big part is the formatting. Updating the information itself is a daunting task and I would preface the volume with a note for the reader to defer to more recent publications to get accurate data.

Again, very nicely done!

burb scope
sage

#3911690 - 07/09/10 01:44 PM

An interesting way to update the work would be to insert links to updated information. For example, many of Burnham's binary star orbit diagrams stop before 1990, so it would be nice to see the original diagram and then be able to click on a link to be shown a current diagram.
The DSO photos were of limited quality, so yes it would be nice to link to better versions. I think that it would be important to preserve the original content, and look and feel of BCH, but allow access to updated info as unobtrusively as possible.
Having said that though, I would still like to see BCH in its original format available in a digital format.
I would be happy to GIVE my PDF copies to Dover Press if they would make it available at a reasonable price, and if they donate a portion of the proceeds to the Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Project:
http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org/rbjm.htm
Perhaps a CN member or two with publishing clout could help get the ball rolling on this.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #3911789 - 07/09/10 02:32 PM

It would be a good idea, before anyone goes further, to read the copyright page in one of the books and see if it lists which rights are reserved. If electronic reproduction rights are listed, you're dead in the water.

If nothing is that specific (but do watch for the phrase "including but not exclusively" or some variation on a theme) you really need to contact Dover before making anything available publicly. If I understand these things correctly, you could be considered in violation of copyright if what you are doing can be seen as preventing the sale of the copies produced by the publisher.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: desertstars]
      #3911808 - 07/09/10 02:48 PM

Quote:

It would be a good idea, before anyone goes further, to read the copyright page in one of the books and see if it lists which rights are reserved. If electronic reproduction rights are listed, you're dead in the water.

If nothing is that specific (but do watch for the phrase "including but not exclusively" or some variation on a theme) you really need to contact Dover before making anything available publicly. If I understand these things correctly, you could be considered in violation of copyright if what you are doing can be seen as preventing the sale of the copies produced by the publisher.

Understood. Actually, that was brought up earlier. I am in dialog with Dover and awaiting definitive answers. The copyright page states "Copyright 1966, 1978. All rights reserved under Pan American and International Copyright Conventions." No other language is present. Interestingly, all of that pre-dates electronic media (i.e., ebooks, PDF, etc.), which was, in that day, not much more than a bit of sci-fi fantasy.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#3911812 - 07/09/10 02:49 PM

@ desertstars: I love your sig:

"It's bad news when you start to hear voices. It's much worse when they tell you it's a private conversation."

My all-time favourite bumper sticker:

"You're just jealous because the voices talk to me."

I may put that up as my sig instead...

burb scope
sage

#3911817 - 07/09/10 02:51 PM

And hey, I'm just using an electronic version of the texts that I purchased and still own.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3911991 - 07/09/10 04:40 PM

Quote:

And hey, I'm just using an electronic version of the texts that I purchased and still own.

For which there should be absolutely no problem. Otherwise...there will be as long as it is in copyright.

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #3917049 - 07/12/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

I would be happy to GIVE my PDF copies to Dover Press if they would make it available at a reasonable price, and if they donate a portion of the proceeds to the Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Project:
http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org/rbjm.htm

The Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Project is (thankfully) closed to further donations, with a nice plaque on Mars Hill and the remaining funds given as a scholarship to a Prescott High School student who will pursue astronomy at Northern Arizona University. I know all this because my wife Jennifer was the director of the project.

I admire your effort to make the PDF of the handbooks, and sure wish there was some way for you to distribute them.

Tom

burb scope
sage

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #3917147 - 07/12/10 02:50 PM

Thanks for that update Tom.
Perhaps Dover will be receptive to distributing an electronic version.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #3917185 - 07/12/10 03:09 PM

I said this via PM and will state this here. I think it would be helpful if in the contacts with Dover that an individual or group could show that there are people committed to paying for an electronic version. I for one am, and would commit my money to a company for a pre-order to that commitment.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3917203 - 07/12/10 03:18 PM

Quote:

I said this via PM and will state this here. I think it would be helpful if in the contacts with Dover that an individual or group could show that there are people committed to paying for an electronic version. I for one am, and would commit my money to a company for a pre-order to that commitment.

I brought that up in my dialog with Dover. I'm waiting for their Rights and Permissions department to get back to me with some more answers regarding my project. Cross your fingers.

burb scope
sage

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3917222 - 07/12/10 03:23 PM

Thanks Jay.
As I said in my PM back to you, I wonder if Dover would consider revitalizing their BCH sales by including an electronic version along with each book that they sell. Those of you who don't want to buy the books again could perhaps send in some sort of "proof of purchase" of the books to allow you to purchase the electronic version at a discount.
As I posted earlier, perhaps someone here on CN with publishing experience would be better equipped to convince Dover to consider this.

burb scope
sage

#3918683 - 07/13/10 10:03 AM

Wow. Thanks for the leagle-eagle work on this. Please press onward.

Wouldn't it be great if the estate could/would be able to grant permission to distribute the work? It would spread like wildfire. Burnham would get a lot of well-deserved exposure to new people in this digital age who might not be inclined to go out and purchase 1200 plus pages of paper.

Thomas Pfleger
Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

Reged: 04/25/06

Loc: Germany
      #3918800 - 07/13/10 11:13 AM

Quote:

...who might not be inclined to go out and purchase 1200 plus pages of paper.

--> Even 2200+

burb scope
sage

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Thomas Pfleger]
      #3918928 - 07/13/10 12:12 PM

Oops. 2285 (includes covers)

burb scope
sage

#4001598 - 08/23/10 03:32 PM

Michael - Has Dover Press responded to you in ANY way?

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

#4001650 - 08/23/10 03:52 PM

This is the last official correspondence I got from them, dated almost exactly one month ago:

Dear Michael,
I wanted to get back to you to let you know that your request is under advisement.

Sincerely,
Joann Schwendemann

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Joann Schwendemann
Contracts/Rights & Permissions
Dover Publications, Inc.
31 East 2nd Street
Mineola, NY 11501
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I did outline to them what I felt would be the many benefits of publishing the BHCH in digital format with emphasis on marketing their brand.

Edited by mtnmedic (08/23/10 03:56 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21290

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics