Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5115725 - 03/10/12 07:35 PM

Quote:

Burnham's is now available on Kindle if anyone's interested.

It is? Amazon only lists the paperback edition. No sign of it in the Kindle Store.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5115818 - 03/10/12 08:48 PM

Romance is fine...but when I want to SEE, give me the NSOG _anytime_.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: rmollise]
      #5115915 - 03/10/12 10:05 PM

Quote:

Romance is fine...but when I want to SEE, give me the NSOG _anytime_.

I'll give you that one.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #5116007 - 03/10/12 11:01 PM

I am really happy for you Daniel. I really am but just as some people like blonds and others like redheads, some people will never like Burnham's. I enjoy reading Burnham's on a rainy day now and then but that is about it for the last decade or so. I enjoy the hunt and finding new objects not reading history and proses about the same tourist attractions we have all seen how many times now. Seeing a new object or something new in an old friend is what gets my juices flowing. Although Burnhams listing of DSO's is around a thousand, there is so much more to see that he never mentions. It is kind of like reading poetry or listening to country music, I have to be in the mood and so it is with Burnhams. I wish that modern text were not quite so dry and cookie cutter in how they presented the information but that doesn't stop me from thinking and dreaming about the objects I look for. I think your correct about today's generation, I wonder who will fix the computers when they can't look it up on line? Personaly I am glad we are not all alike. What a boring world that would be.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: blb]
      #5116022 - 03/10/12 11:09 PM

You've become my kryptonite. I'm looking saying to myself NOOOOO!!!! It's Buddy again!!!!!

blb
Post Laureate

#5116030 - 03/10/12 11:20 PM

Quote:

I would like to share a couple of things Buddy. Some of the double star data in BCH is dated and inaccurate yes, but programs have many errors themselves in fact an experienced double star observer and I went through several pages worth of Burnham's doubles and compared the data visually to the data in software and the inaccuracies were almost the same we were shocked.

What did you compare these program's and Burnham's too? Did you compare them to the Washington Double Star data base? No one is perfect. We have all seen mistakes brought forward from work to work. There is very little in life that is perfect.

Quote:

Also, Deep Sky Wonders and Burnham's are not even remotely alike. That's like comparing a dedicated roadcar to a dune buggy.

Yes that is true but Deep-Sky Wonders gives just enough information to make it interesting without beating it to death. Why do I need to read ten pages on a variable star that I am not interested in, etc.

Quote:

Sure people can say BCH is dated, but I'll tell you what, I've been to countless star parties and most people know less than you think about the night sky and they all have computers. It hasn't made them any more knowledgeable about the night sky and thats a fact when it comes to amateur astronomy.

It really doesn't matter whether you read a fifty year old book or a computer if your not interested in learning, so what is the point here? The reality here is that a lot of amateurs are just astronomical tourist and I think that is OK. It's a hobby not a job or love affair.

blb
Post Laureate

#5116033 - 03/10/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

You've become my kryptonite. I'm looking saying to myself NOOOOO!!!! It's Buddy again!!!!!

Sorry! I don't mean to be.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

#5116191 - 03/11/12 01:37 AM

Its okay Buddy. I getta kick out of your posts.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5116748 - 03/11/12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Daniel wrote:

(snip)
I think observers get too overly obsessed with, I gotta have the latest greatest gadgets! and 90% of these people have more than they even know what to do with. What ever happened to having some heart and depth to writing? That's why Burnham's Celestial Handbook still remains the greatest of all time even today. Nobody writes like Burnham did. No one can top it and no one ever will, you know why? because no one has time, and nobody cares anymore. Everything now is just computers so the case is CLOSED. I gave a talk on astronomy in a grade school in front of 60 kids with parents last year; As soon as I asked some trivia questions on astronomy, guess what they did? They just pulled out their cell phones and looked up the stats. They don't even know or even care anymore; they just read it off a computer and that's all it ever amounts to and that's how it will be from now on; computers.

I would like to share a couple of things Buddy. Some of the double star data in BCH is dated and inaccurate yes, but programs have many errors themselves in fact an experienced double star observer and I went through several pages worth of Burnham's doubles and compared the data visually to the data in software and the inaccuracies were almost the same we were shocked. Also, Deep Sky Wonders and Burnham's are not even remotely alike. That's like comparing a dedicated roadcar to a dune buggy. Sure people can say BCH is dated, but I'll tell you what, I've been to countless star parties and most people know less than you think about the night sky and they all have computers. It hasn't made them any more knowledgeable about the night sky and thats a fact when it comes to amateur astronomy.

Honestly I can't stand modern books. They're all just filled with the same loud Hubble pictures and absolutely DEAD content. This industry just doesn't get it. Look at "2001 a Space Odyssey". People may not get it at first, but watch it a few times and an avalanche of thought provocative questions begin to emerge and the lights turn on. People just don't want to think anymore and they wonder why kids bring guns to school. I'm all for technology but if people don't start being careful, they'll end up being taken over by Hal as well. You read Burnham's on Kindle or on paperback because you LOVE the way Burnham wrote. That's why you read it. I hear people saying Burnham's is outdated all the time but I look at their copies and it looks like the dust needs to be blown off. Talk about a waste Tell me, what ever happened to all the romance?

btw, if you want to see a beautiful picture, go to p.12 in BCH.

At the risk of wearing the phrase out:

My sentiments exactly.

Wow.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5116847 - 03/11/12 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Daniel wrote:

(snip)
I think observers get too overly obsessed with, I gotta have the latest greatest gadgets! and 90% of these people have more than they even know what to do with. What ever happened to having some heart and depth to writing? That's why Burnham's Celestial Handbook still remains the greatest of all time even today. Nobody writes like Burnham did. No one can top it and no one ever will, you know why? because no one has time, and nobody cares anymore. Everything now is just computers so the case is CLOSED. I gave a talk on astronomy in a grade school in front of 60 kids with parents last year; As soon as I asked some trivia questions on astronomy, guess what they did? They just pulled out their cell phones and looked up the stats. They don't even know or even care anymore; they just read it off a computer and that's all it ever amounts to and that's how it will be from now on; computers.

I would like to share a couple of things Buddy. Some of the double star data in BCH is dated and inaccurate yes, but programs have many errors themselves in fact an experienced double star observer and I went through several pages worth of Burnham's doubles and compared the data visually to the data in software and the inaccuracies were almost the same we were shocked. Also, Deep Sky Wonders and Burnham's are not even remotely alike. That's like comparing a dedicated roadcar to a dune buggy. Sure people can say BCH is dated, but I'll tell you what, I've been to countless star parties and most people know less than you think about the night sky and they all have computers. It hasn't made them any more knowledgeable about the night sky and thats a fact when it comes to amateur astronomy.

Honestly I can't stand modern books. They're all just filled with the same loud Hubble pictures and absolutely DEAD content. This industry just doesn't get it. Look at "2001 a Space Odyssey". People may not get it at first, but watch it a few times and an avalanche of thought provocative questions begin to emerge and the lights turn on. People just don't want to think anymore and they wonder why kids bring guns to school. I'm all for technology but if people don't start being careful, they'll end up being taken over by Hal as well. You read Burnham's on Kindle or on paperback because you LOVE the way Burnham wrote. That's why you read it. I hear people saying Burnham's is outdated all the time but I look at their copies and it looks like the dust needs to be blown off. Talk about a waste Tell me, what ever happened to all the romance?

btw, if you want to see a beautiful picture, go to p.12 in BCH.

At the risk of wearing the phrase out:

My sentiments exactly.

Wow.

And mine! Well said, Daniel.

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/02/07

Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: FJA]
      #5116857 - 03/11/12 01:55 PM

I checked the kindle site , I could not find Burnhams listed , I had an old dog eared paper back set that was loosing its pages , I used a high speed scanner at work it now resides on my IPad the pictures don't scan to well.
This can be one option, scan for personal use.
And no sorry I cannot share my scans.

blb
Post Laureate

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: SATMAN]
      #5116929 - 03/11/12 02:29 PM

You never responded?

Quote:

Quote:

I think observers get too overly obsessed with, I gotta have the latest greatest gadgets! and 90% of these people have more than they even know what to do with. What ever happened to having some heart and depth to writing? That's why Burnham's Celestial Handbook still remains the greatest of all time even today. Nobody writes like Burnham did. No one can top it and no one ever will, you know why? because no one has time, and nobody cares anymore. Everything now is just computers so the case is CLOSED.

That is a sad comentary on our modern way of life.

Quote:

I would like to share a couple of things Buddy. Some of the double star data in BCH is dated and inaccurate yes, but programs have many errors themselves in fact an experienced double star observer and I went through several pages worth of Burnham's doubles and compared the data visually to the data in software and the inaccuracies were almost the same we were shocked.

What did you compare these program's and Burnham's too? Did you compare them to the Washington Double Star data base? No one is perfect. We have all seen mistakes brought forward from work to work. There is very little in life that is perfect.

Quote:

Also, Deep Sky Wonders and Burnham's are not even remotely alike. That's like comparing a dedicated roadcar to a dune buggy.

Yes that is true but Deep-Sky Wonders gives just enough information to make it interesting without beating it to death. Why do I need to read ten pages on a variable star that I am not interested in, etc.

Quote:

Sure people can say BCH is dated, but I'll tell you what, I've been to countless star parties and most people know less than you think about the night sky and they all have computers. It hasn't made them any more knowledgeable about the night sky and thats a fact when it comes to amateur astronomy.

It really doesn't matter whether you read a fifty year old book or a computer if your not interested in learning, so what is the point here? The reality here is that a lot of amateurs are just astronomical tourist and I think that is OK. It's a hobby not a job or love affair.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5116945 - 03/11/12 02:41 PM

Quote:

I am really happy for you Daniel. I really am but just as some people like blonds and others like redheads, some people will never like Burnham's. I enjoy reading Burnham's on a rainy day now and then but that is about it for the last decade or so. I enjoy the hunt and finding new objects not reading history and proses about the same tourist attractions we have all seen how many times now. Seeing a new object or something new in an old friend is what gets my juices flowing. Although Burnhams listing of DSO's is around a thousand, there is so much more to see that he never mentions. It is kind of like reading poetry or listening to country music, I have to be in the mood and so it is with Burnhams. I wish that modern text were not quite so dry and cookie cutter in how they presented the information but that doesn't stop me from thinking and dreaming about the objects I look for. I think your correct about today's generation, I wonder who will fix the computers when they can't look it up on line? Personaly I am glad we are not all alike. What a boring world that would be.

I'm with you Buddy. I like Burnham, but Daniel is almost evangelistic in his enthusiam for him. That's fine for him, but let those who find enjoyment and information in other resouces be content to do so.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5117013 - 03/11/12 03:22 PM

Where's a link to the Kindle version?????

/Ira

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5117067 - 03/11/12 04:06 PM

Hey folks, I'm the OP. I've been lurking and enjoying the spirited conversation, learning some things along the way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Keep up the dialog. Just remember...in case of a disagreement...please don't argue. There are no right and wrong answers here.

Everyone who reads Robert Burnham's guide will certainly become aware of its age and that it may or may not be technically current in one way or another. However, I doubt anyone can argue its significance in the astronomical community nor the fascinating treasure trove of facts, anecdotes and observational information it contains that is still relevant in some fashion. It's excellent reading, no matter how serious you are about astronomy, regardless of whether it's in paper or electronic form (though the latter might give it renewed interest). As far as I'm concerned, it's a literary classic and is of tremendous value as an art, as a source of technical data (current or historical) and as an interesting point of perspective. Many of the lessons gleaned from within Burnham's guide are still important to this day.

Personally, I find it to be a pleasant, whimsical, colorful and passionate study of the night sky that's not so easily found in today's astronomy-related literature, if at all. This was a labor of love for Robert. Nothing more, nothing less. Those of us who choose to revel in his works will also discover unique inspiration from within, as we are wont to do.

Edited by mtnmedic (03/11/12 04:13 PM)

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5117103 - 03/11/12 04:31 PM

Quote:

Hey folks, I'm the OP. I've been lurking and enjoying the spirited conversation, learning some things along the way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Keep up the dialog. Just remember...in case of a disagreement...please don't argue. There are no right and wrong answers here.

Everyone who reads Robert Burnham's guide will certainly become aware of its age and that it may or may not be technically current in one way or another. However, I doubt anyone can argue its significance in the astronomical community nor the fascinating treasure trove of facts, anecdotes and observational information it contains that is still relevant in some fashion. It's excellent reading, no matter how serious you are about astronomy, regardless of whether it's in paper or electronic form (though the latter might give it renewed interest). As far as I'm concerned, it's a literary classic and is of tremendous value as an art, as a source of technical data (current or historical) and as an interesting point of perspective. Many of the lessons gleaned from within Burnham's guide are still important to this day.

Personally, I find it to be a pleasant, whimsical, colorful and passionate study of the night sky that's not so easily found in today's astronomy-related literature, if at all. This was a labor of love for Robert. Nothing more, nothing less. Those of us who choose to revel in his works will also discover unique inspiration from within, as we are wont to do.

Agreed and well said Michael. I said in an earlier post in this thread that I would like to see an updated verion of Burnham's handbook, but I've changed my mind about that. Because there is better and more up-to-date information available (my opinion), I really think it is best left alone to be the classic that it is.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #5117220 - 03/11/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

Everyone who reads Robert Burnham's guide will certainly become aware of its age and that it may or may not be technically current

It's not technically correct, and, frankly, wasn't on day one. But that's not why you real Burnham's. You don't read it for hard information on objects beyond the bright ones, either. You read it for its poetic take on the cosmos. Which is enough for me on a cloudy winter's evening. If not for at the telescope...and that is OK.

Kokopelli
sage

Reged: 11/01/10

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Ira]
      #5117391 - 03/11/12 08:39 PM

Quote:

/Ira

Works fine on my iPad.
Google is your friend.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Kokopelli]
      #5117464 - 03/11/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

/Ira

Works fine on my iPad.
Google is your friend.

Those links are all very sketchy and full of deceitful comeons. Not for me.

/Ira

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital [Re: Ira]
      #5117616 - 03/11/12 11:16 PM

Just as well. The downloadable versions of BCH I've found have all been pirated. That's not a thing we need to encourage.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21297

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics