Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Erric
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

cg5 replacement? new
      #3927195 - 07/17/10 10:07 AM

Hi all.

Just wondering if the good-old cg5 will be replaced anytime soon? I think it's been 6 years already. Any new small tracking gem in the works? uSB connections, easier alignment, color screens, etc?

Or the cg5 is alreadygood for many more years and stop thinking about the next vesion.?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: cg5 replacement? new [Re: Erric]
      #3927542 - 07/17/10 02:07 PM

Quote:

Hi all.

Just wondering if the good-old cg5 will be replaced anytime soon? I think it's been 6 years already. Any new small tracking gem in the works? uSB connections, easier alignment, color screens, etc?

Or the cg5 is alreadygood for many more years and stop thinking about the next vesion.?

Thanks!

Well, you never know, but as long as it is still sellin...

As for USB, be careful what you wish for. Serial is still better for our applications in some ways...long cord runs are no problem, and no need to have to start worrying about special drivers for current/older software.

Erric
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

Re: cg5 replacement? new [Re: rmollise]
      #3941223 - 07/24/10 11:39 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the post.
I was thinking there may be some improvement for the CG5 like the LDX75 was an improvement over the LDX55. But even that upgrade was just better bearings and a better tripod.

So it seems then the CG5 is about as good as it can resonabily get and should last a good long time.

dwitek
sage

Reged: 07/03/08

Loc: White Lake, Michigan
Re: cg5 replacement? [Re: Erric]
      #3941850 - 07/24/10 04:50 PM

It is built pretty well. I've had mine apart to hypertune it and it has two sets of ball bearings in the RA azis. Sure, you could add ball bearings to the DEC axis but that would drive the price up some. The motors seem to be the weak link, many of us have replaced one or both over the years. The mount, at least on the newer ones, is quite good for this class.

As long as you keep the weight well within spec it's about as good as it needs to be. IMHO.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 636

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics