Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Reged: 07/21/07

Loc: PA
Airline portable goto alt/az mount?
      #3970310 - 08/08/10 01:17 AM

Is there anything available like this for mounting nothing much bigger than an st80? Must be goto.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: Domerman]
      #3970531 - 08/08/10 08:54 AM

Something like this? http://www.telescope.com/control/telescopes/goto-and-computerized-telescopes/orion-starseeker-80mm-computerized-goto-refractor-telescope Maybe put it on a different tripod.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: BSJ]
      #3970584 - 08/08/10 10:07 AM

Just about any of the small Alt Az goto mounts (Meade, Celestron, Ioptron) will fit into your checked luggage just fine. The key is the length of the tripod legs (and overall weight if you're trying to get away with just a single piece of luggage). A small aluminum tripod with an adapter on top to handle the base of the goto mount is probably your best choice. Smaller camera tripods are not likely going to provide the stability you'll need. Something with boxier or more rectangular legs is probably closer to the mark. The dimensions will probably be dictated by the size of your checked luggage.

I found a few years ago that the AT Voyager tripod could be disassembled so the longest piece was about 18" and that would just fit in my largest rolling type suitcase. I don't currently have a small goto mount but I'm seriously considering going that route for when I want to travel with my C6 again.

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #3970651 - 08/08/10 10:54 AM

SLT- cheap one here. The tripod will need to be packed with check in baggage, but head and HC will easily fit in carry on luggage. Understand it eats AA batterys , so a 12volt battery or AC adapter should be considered.

Can't comment too much on GOTO, tried mine once and Sky align did not align, I need to carefully read instructions next time.

Another alternative would be a UA microstar with dsc encoders and computer.

Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Reged: 07/21/07

Loc: PA
Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: Jim7728]
      #3985413 - 08/15/10 11:12 PM

Anyone know if this could be taken as a carry-on on a plane?

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=439-277-12639

It would be nice to have the tripod legs in the same case.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to include the link.

Edited by Domerman (08/15/10 11:34 PM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #3985449 - 08/15/10 11:27 PM

The SLT fork and base package is certainly small enough for carry on, heck even the smaller SE is ok too. The larger SE (6/8) mount might be a bit of a stretch, especially with the C8. Small thin cases would be the way to go here. An even more interesting option than the SLT is the smaller LCM mount. It appears to have all the same features as the SLT mount but without much of the arm.

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
      #3985535 - 08/16/10 12:34 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Good News Steve,

It can be done. Read my report below.

traveling to Hawaii with a Cube Pro

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #3985622 - 08/16/10 02:30 AM

I've taken to traveling recently with non-GoTo Atl-Az mounts, with the only reasons for not choosing GoTo being: -

a] "Cheap" (often plastic housings) GoTo systems seem unlikely to survive being transported in (international) checked luggage - I'm happy to be corrected here

b] No power at my dark sky destinations - Is there power where you're going? Or, is the plan to fly with power, as well?

So for me, I decided to go with SV-M2 and Discmount DM-4 mounts + Gitzo 3-Series CF tripods instead. The mounts and columns easily fit and will survive either as checked or cabin luggage and the collapsed tripods fit diagonally into checked luggage cases.

Just something to think about.,

Regards,

skybsd

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #3986131 - 08/16/10 12:21 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Here's an option for push-to. It's actually easier to use and faster than goto. http://www.deepspaceproducts.com/default.asp?Q=TREX_Mounts

The tripod is a standard size, but the mount head is small but can handle any load. A 3/8" adapter is available so that you could use a different type of tripod as well.

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: skybsd]
      #3986644 - 08/16/10 04:57 PM

Quote:

I've taken to traveling recently with non-GoTo Atl-Az mounts, with the only reasons for not choosing GoTo being: -

a] "Cheap" (often plastic housings) GoTo systems seem unlikely to survive being transported in (international) checked luggage - I'm happy to be corrected here

b] No power at my dark sky destinations - Is there power where you're going? Or, is the plan to fly with power, as well?

So for me, I decided to go with SV-M2 and Discmount DM-4 mounts + Gitzo 3-Series CF tripods instead. The mounts and columns easily fit and will survive either as checked or cabin luggage and the collapsed tripods fit diagonally into checked luggage cases.

Regards,

skybsd

Hi skybsd,

Good questions and defintely food for thought. I often travel without GOTO - usually using my SV MG mount.

To answer your questions, the Cube Pro only weighs 8 pounds - I actually had it in my carry-on bag. I used laptop batteries for the Cube (note the small bag on the tripod). Worked great - lasted all night.

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: EFT]
      #3986657 - 08/16/10 05:01 PM

Quote:

Here's an option for push-to. It's actually easier to use and faster than goto. http://www.deepspaceproducts.com/default.asp?Q=TREX_Mounts

The tripod is a standard size, but the mount head is small but can handle any load. A 3/8" adapter is available so that you could use a different type of tripod as well.

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

That's a beautiful looking mount Ed! A little too pricey for me though. I'll just have to be content with aluminum tubes and tripods for now!

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #3986682 - 08/16/10 05:18 PM

Hello Preston,
Good to hear from you again.,

Quote:

Quote:

Regards,

skybsd

Hi skybsd,

Good questions and defintely food for thought. I often travel without GOTO - usually using my SV MG mount.

To answer your questions, the Cube Pro only weighs 8 pounds - I actually had it in my carry-on bag. I used laptop batteries for the Cube (note the small bag on the tripod). Worked great - lasted all night.

That's neat - do you mind posting some more details on how you connected it all up together, there?

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: EFT]
      #3986768 - 08/16/10 06:02 PM

Quote:

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

Good to know a US dealer now is offering the T-Rex.

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Re: Airline portable goto alt/az mount? new [Re: skybsd]
      #3986891 - 08/16/10 07:27 PM

Quote:

Hello Preston,
Good to hear from you again....

....That's neat - do you mind posting some more details on how you connected it all up together, there?

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

Go to the link below and scroll about half way down and you'll see the components. It is amazingly simple to put together!

traveling to Hawaii with a Cube Pro

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2048

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics