Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
smithkent

Reged: 08/04/10

Just got a Questar 700-very nice lens new
      #3977119 - 08/11/10 03:07 PM

Just got back from the latest eclipse in the South Pacific, and was tired of lugging around my C5-which is a super eclipse scope, but still a heavier setup than I'd like for the next eclipse in 2012. I saw a Questar 700 for sale and snapped it up. My preliminary photos show a very nice image sharpness over the entire field. It shoots at f/8 which is just fine. While the focal length is a bit short for the inner corona or prominences, it will be super for a nice full frame corona shot. In my investigations, this lens was made in rather limited quantities- maybe it just never had much advertising so questar didn't continue making them. As a portable eclipse scope I think I found a gem!

Any one else here have experience with the Questar 700?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Larry Geary
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/06

Re: Just got a Questar 700-very nice lens new [Re: smithkent]
      #3977244 - 08/11/10 04:08 PM

I have two, one a bit sharper than the other. The less sharp one was used on two eclipse trips, and produced very nice pictures. Even shooting the diamond ring there was no evidence of internal reflections, unlike a Canon 300mm f/4 L lens I used for a third eclipse, which showed lots of internal reflections from the multiple lens groups. I thought the focal length was ideal in that I was able to get good detail on limb features like prominences and the chromosphere, and still have enough field of view to capture an extensive corona. All this was on 35mm slide film. I would definitely recommend it for eclipses, but you might want to try it on the moon and terrestrial targets with your camera and decide for yourself.

smithkent

Reged: 08/04/10

Re: Just got a Questar 700-very nice lens new [Re: Larry Geary]
      #3977584 - 08/11/10 07:10 PM

Good idea- I'm going to give it a shot when we get to full moon- similar exposure conditions to totality

Larry Geary
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/06

Re: Just got a Questar 700-very nice lens new [Re: smithkent]
      #3977642 - 08/11/10 07:41 PM

But also shoot other phases to check the sharpness and see if it meets your needs.

Rat8bug
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: Michigan
Re: Just got a Questar 700-very nice lens [Re: Larry Geary]
      #3978239 - 08/12/10 02:41 AM

The Q700 was one of the best mirror telephotos, based on a 70's review in Modern Photography. At the time, I could not afford one, so I bought the Vivitar Series I 600mm Solid Cat instead. Had a hard time getting one, as the rumor was the CIA was buying 'em up. One can increase FL easy by using a 1.4, 1.7, 2x or so teleconverter. In my case, I chose the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x. This TC preserves detail and you only lose a stop in exposure.

http://www.barrie-tao.com/apex127.html

Ciao...Barry

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2599

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics