Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
orveko
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Lake County, IL
Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces
      #4039567 - 09/10/10 10:35 PM

Harry Siebert apparently reads Cloudy Nights. He's got a page up on his website advertising his new line of "Planesphere" eyepieces which will utilize a single sapphire ball lens. It seems there will also be a version available in BK-7. The design looks good, but the price ... ouch! $249? The ad also mentions that another line of eyepieces called "Marsglobe" is on the way. By the name I'd guess it's a line of ruby sphericals. Interesting to say the least ...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: orveko]
      #4039585 - 09/10/10 10:45 PM

Harry will receiving a letter from Mr. Couture's attorney on the morrow.

On a serious note, hopefully Harry is sourcing better-spec spheres than the usual Edmunds fare. I'd love to see near perfect sphericity and a superb 20-10 scratch-dig.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (09/10/10 10:51 PM)

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4039647 - 09/10/10 11:17 PM

I'd love to see them for 99.99.

Arizona-Ken
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/08

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #4039713 - 09/10/10 11:55 PM

This should cut down on the Brandon threads for a little while ...

If you do look at Harry's page, he is using brass barrels. This is usually an option on most all of his eyepieces, and does add some additional expense.

I mean if you're gonna have ball lens eyepieces, you might as well have ... well, never mind ...

Arizona Ken

Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Arizona-Ken]
      #4039765 - 09/11/10 12:26 AM

cheapersleeper
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #4040128 - 09/11/10 08:16 AM

Elegantly done, Ken.

Djarum
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/09

Loc: Huntsville, Al
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #4040137 - 09/11/10 08:23 AM

LOL!

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Djarum]
      #4040213 - 09/11/10 09:14 AM

wow, exciting development - does anyone know what the specs will be in terms of AFOV and eye relief?

It looks like an aluminum version will be available for $150? (is that what "T6" means?).

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Arizona-Ken]
      #4040543 - 09/11/10 12:43 PM

Quote:

If you do look at Harry's page, he is using brass barrels. This is usually an option on most all of his eyepieces, and does add some additional expense.

I mean if you're gonna have ball lens eyepieces, you might as well have ... well, never mind ...

Perhaps, instead of "Planesphere", he should name this eyepiece the "Brass Monkey"....

....but it would have limited utility in cold weather, I suspect...

timwetherell
sage

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: A Land Down Under
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Scott99]
      #4043779 - 09/12/10 10:52 PM

Well from my own experimentation with ball lenses, I'd say the eye relief will be close to zero and the usable field of view about 5! Harry does make good stuff though, so I'm sure they'll be as good as a ball lenses get!

In the long, long ago, there used to be an eyepiece called a Tolles that was essentially a Huygens made of a single solid piece of glass. Not strictly a ball as the two radi were different and apparently performed rather better than a simple sphere (as there were a few more degrees of freedom for the designer to play with).

all the best

Tim

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: timwetherell]
      #4043906 - 09/13/10 12:19 AM

Quote:

Harry does make good stuff though...

Yes, he do!

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #4043940 - 09/13/10 12:42 AM

Quote:

Harry will receiving a letter from Mr. Couture's attorney on the morrow.

- Jim

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and I made a few bucks for the school.

Three things to note:

1. It will be interesting to see if an EP with my name on it will be banned from the classifieds on that other website.
2. I do have 4 ball EPs to sell since I ordered a few extra from Edmunds.
3. I know the rotten scoundrel who helped put me out of business?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: SteveC]
      #4044269 - 09/13/10 07:09 AM

A Ball Eyepiece for $249? And I thought Brandons were overpriced. I made a Ball Eyepiece for about $8 plus some old eyepiece parts.

Now we can wait for the silver-sided anniverary set in velvet-lined wooden case for only $1000. P.T. Barnum would be proud!

Too Frugal to be Fooled,
Mike

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #4044589 - 09/13/10 11:14 AM

Quote:

A Ball Eyepiece for $249? And I thought Brandons were overpriced. I made a Ball Eyepiece for about $8 plus some old eyepiece parts.

Now we can wait for the silver-sided anniverary set in velvet-lined wooden case for only $1000. P.T. Barnum would be proud!

Too Frugal to be Fooled,
Mike

A Ball EP for $8 plus spare parts?
Interesting...
What size ball? Substrate? Sphericity? Homogeneity? How does it perform?

At first blush, $249 may seem like a lot of money...and it is...but look at the folks that these EP's are intended for.
Planetary enthusiasts demand the best performance from their equipment. They/we will spend large sums for ZAO's and Supermonos, and their triplet Apos, to get the best possible views of their targets.
Ball lenses are designed to complement, not replace, Orthos and Monos. They are intended to provide, on axis, the highest fidelity images of planetary detail possible.
Some substrates are better at this than others, as our own Mike Hosea has demonstrated earlier in this thread.
Sapphire/Ruby has the best performance characteristics of the available substrates, in terms of hardness/durability, sphericity, S/D, homogeneity, and transmission.
This performance is not without cost. A look on the Edmund website reveals that a stone producing an effective focal length of ~5.4mm costs $65. To produce longer EFL's will require even larger stones, and even higher cost.
Once you add up the price of the stone, shipping, brass, delrin, machining, design, labelling, and a little margin, all of a sudden, you are up there.
For those who can do this by themselves and have a product they are happy with, that's great. We need more innovators doing things at home. Good things can come of this-just ask John Dobson.
For those of us who do not have the time (ok, the skill) to do such things, we rely on the commercial producers to identify the need, and address it.
I have some great stuff made by Siebert Optics: a 2" BV kit, 36mm Observatory EP's, and a wonderful set of custom Starsplitters. They all perform just as billed, and I couldn't be happier.
It appears that Harry has done his homework here. It also looks like he will be offering a variety of products within this line, to serve different budgets and needs.
I think he should be commended for offering this option to our community.
I have a decent "planetary" toolbox, which includes not only the terrific Starsplitters, but also some well-known performers from yesterday and today.
I will be placing my order for Planespheres and a Marsglobe shortly. I view this as an opportunity to add another dimension to my viewing experience. I also see it as supporting one of our own. For years, Harry has made stuff that is hard to find anywhere else. And he stands behind his products.
Speaking for myself only, I don't mind paying a premium for a well-executed piece of equipment.

Edited by Levine (09/13/10 11:20 AM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #4044597 - 09/13/10 11:18 AM

"And I thought Brandons were overpriced."

I dunno where this sentiment comes from, honestly. Brandons can be had, new, from the manufacturer, for $165 each currently, if purchased as a set (set of six for $995). That's $100 less than a used TMB Supermono, with a much more flexible range of focal lengths for the Brandons, and not a heck of a lot more than Televue Plossls, particularly the longer focal length models (a 32mm Televue Plossl, on sale, runs $111.

They are about the same price new as an excellent condition CZJ (0.965") Ortho is used, and they measure up very well in performance to the CZJs.

Now the kind of dough being considered for a ball, particularly if it turns out to be standard Edmund fare optically (in sphericity and surface quality), turns me off. For $99 with a normal barrel and the higher grade BK-7 spec, I might be tempted. At 2.5 times that price? Nope.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (09/13/10 11:21 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: Levine]
      #4044603 - 09/13/10 11:20 AM

$249 for a ball eyepiece? Whatever. Knock yourself out. Only in America. Just not in my house.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#4044617 - 09/13/10 11:29 AM

Jim,

Quote:

"And I thought Brandons were overpriced."

I dunno where this sentiment comes from, honestly. Brandons can be had, new, from the manufacturer, for $165 each currently, if purchased as a set (set of six for $995).

Here's where that sentiment comes from: if I only want one, they're $235. But can you have only one Brandon?

Quote:

Now the kind of dough being considered for a ball, particularly if it turns out to be standard Edmund fare optically (in sphericity and surface quality), turns me off. For $99 with a normal barrel and the higher grade BK-7 spec, I might be tempted. At 2.5 times that price? Nope.

Ditto. I would rather have a root canal. At least that's still covered under my dental plan.

But I suppose you get what you pay for. Always ... unless somebody gives it to you, you steal it, it never comes in the mail, or it's covered under your insurance.

Mike

Levine
Pooh-Bah

#4044687 - 09/13/10 11:59 AM

I have spoken to Harry.
He will be producing three separate options for Ball lenses: Sapphire, fused silica, and BK7. A fourth option is Marsglobe (ruby).
The most economical line will be the BK7 with the Aluminum barrel. Not sure if the stone size will dictate the price of these, but the biggest BK7 EP will be about $149.
This seems not too far from what people are talking about.
For the higher end-and higher performing-Sapphire/Ruby, there is an aluminum barrel option, which drops the price accordingly.
From my conversation with him, his margin for making these is pretty
Modest. Any less, and there would be little point in offering it in the first place. Recall, he works by himself, and he is Busy with other lines.

Edited by Levine (09/13/10 12:02 PM)

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #4044699 - 09/13/10 12:04 PM

Quote:

$249 for a ball eyepiece? Whatever. Knock yourself out. Only in America. Just not in my house.

Mike

As someone who has put a lot of effort into producing a homemade version of the ball EPs, I can appreciate what Seibert is doing. The only reason why I decided to make these EPs is because people were asking me to make them. If they only knew how much time and effort was involved in making them. I felt badly for initially turning them down. If I actually charged those CN members for the time I've invested in making those EPs the price would have been a lot more. Seiberts prices, aspecially for the aluminum barrells($149) would seem like a bargain. My wife, who has witnessed my work, has expressed her displeasure with my selling them so cheaply. I didn't mind because it turned out to be fun, I helped a few CN members, and I made a few bucks for a school for children with learning disabilities.

I'm sure Seibert won't have as much fun as I did, but he deserves to make a living and a decent wage, just like everybody else in America.

I think Seibert's prices are very fair.

Edited by SteveC (09/13/10 12:05 PM)

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Re: Siebert Optics to produce ball lens eyepieces new [Re: SteveC]
      #4044742 - 09/13/10 12:25 PM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11028

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics