Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: Jim7728]
      #4217174 - 11/29/10 03:10 PM

I have the mount and enjoy it. One question though...there is a small amount of play between the mount head and the tripod, when tightened down completely, the head is able to rotate a small amount, is this typical?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #4259129 - 12/19/10 07:12 PM

So how are vibrations with this mount. I have a 140mm Vixen Neo-achro. It a fairly long scope supposedly weighing 14.3 lbs, but I think it feels heavier than that. So anyone with the Twilight II have a good guess as to whether or not it could handle a 140NA without serious vibrations. How about a 120mm Eon.

Also do you need another scope or counterweight on the other side of the mount?

Dave

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: russell23]
      #4264548 - 12/22/10 10:33 AM

So does anyone know how large a refractor could be put on this mount?

Dave

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: russell23]
      #4401333 - 02/21/11 11:10 AM

Giro's big alt/az is claimed to handle the C14, but the Giro 3, which I have is limited to 40 pounds. With a 25 CF C11 on one end you'd want an 11 pound CW out near the end of the optional CW bar. The Giro 3 works best when the load is balanced. The Giro 3 will handle my Ken Dauzat pimped up Orion 120 f/9 with ease.

The tripod is the same as the Meade/Jinghua LXD-75's, which leads us back up the supply chain to the People's Liberation Army.

Explore Scientific is a brand used by the Chinese Military & Professional Optics Corp. Somehow it, the Nanjing North Instrument Technology Industries Group, Jinghua, Bosma, Maxvision and Gilman Zhang are all associated. Given the lack of transparancy of Red Chinese corporations their relationships are only subject to speculation.

dodgerm37

Reged: 02/10/12

Loc: N.E Ohio, USA
Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: Geo.]
      #5574148 - 12/16/12 01:15 PM

My ES Twilight ll arrived Friday. The ES 127 APO won't arrive until late January. The ads claim it will handle a 152mm doublet without counterweights. Time will tell. Clear skies, Bob

kwjohnson

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: dodgerm37]
      #5580996 - 12/20/12 04:18 PM

Bob, I'm using a Twilight II with a C8 EdgeHD plus SV50 on one side--about 18 lbs (OTA, finder, 2" diagonal, 34mm eyepiece). The mount works without a counterweight but it glides really nicely with 10.5 lbs of weight on an ADM vixen rail. No need for slow motion controls. Enjoy. Let us know what you think.

XyrcesFenol

Reged: 08/05/11

Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First L new [Re: telescopemullet]
      #5583655 - 12/22/12 07:51 AM

- It can carry alot of weight, even single sided. But when putting a heavy scope on it, do put a counterweight or another scope on the opposite side too, as it will then continue to be very smooth in the movement. :-)

- When assembling it it helped me where to put what washer and other things in the full thread below:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4769085/page...

There are some nice pic's from Explore Scientific that took away my confusion.

Having the washer on the wrong place will make it unstable. This is same on other similar brands.

Rgrds
Per-Erik

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Re: Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First Light new [Re: Traveler]
      #5585574 - 12/23/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

Hummm, it looks to me very much like a tele-optic 's Giro mount.

Maybe a Giro "knockoff", but I suspect some quite licensing. ES seems to be part of the NORINCO empire. At NEAF I asked the ES rep if the Twilignt shaft was the same as the Giro 3's and was told it was and the scope adapter could be used on my Giro. The adapter when sold by Teton was something like $70. Giro has it listed for 28 Euro. I'm waiting for Giro to get back to me that some spares have "come in." From China I suspect.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10662

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics