Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF
      #4097099 - 10/06/10 04:34 PM

Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RonBurgundy
My goose is cooked

Reged: 06/16/09

Loc: Happy Gilmore
Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #4098552 - 10/07/10 10:10 AM

This was a really great review! Mr. Kramer sure seems to enjoy his new telescope. It's good to see Meade step up to the plate and develop a creative product.

lemperti
journeyman

Reged: 09/02/10

Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: RonBurgundy]
      #4141233 - 10/25/10 02:37 PM

Thanks for the review. Do you think this telescope is good enough for astro photography?

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: lemperti]
      #4220099 - 11/30/10 10:53 PM

Sorry for the late response.

Sure, the LS is capable of limited AP. I say limited only because it alt-az, and no autoguider port. But some folks here, like rigel123, have done great shots with the smaller ls 6 and DLSR. I hope to try my hand a DLSR, but thinking first of DMK21 style camera for moon/planetary, maybe double stars or similar.

john

BTW...familiar with Santaluces high school? I graduated there in 89. I lived right off of hypoluxo and congress.

cepheus42

Reged: 11/13/13

Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: geminijk]
      #6193068 - 11/13/13 05:09 PM

Due to software problems I have been able to use my brand new LS 8 ACF twice in the 3 months since I purchased it. The problems are still not resolved and am beginning to wish I hadn't purchased it. This scope promised so much but so far has been a huge problem and full of frustration. I'm finding the support from Meade is non existent and am beginning to wonder if I have wasted my money. I have been asked to perform calibrations etc to which I can find little or no instructions. Its all very well when everything is going well, but there is no help when things are not going well.

himsayugh

Reged: 07/23/12

Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: cepheus42]
      #6193777 - 11/13/13 11:52 PM

I understand any and all frustrations with Meade "customer support." The two words should never be paired with the company. As to the LS 8 I've had my share of problems with it, but here is what I've learned. First and foremost the software/firmware is very buggy. Even if you have a clean version loaded correctly it doesn't seem to last more than a few sessions and if you ever have an emergency or accidental shutdown it's probably wise to do a reboot. Having said that, I've also found this scope has to have open skies to work easily. Any obstructions when it's aligning itself where it may need to go to another set of stars will either freeze it up or firmware problems start.
The scope is being sold as the perfect scope for person who is new to telescopes and mounts and that's not the truth. It's a complicated and buggy piece of equipment. I'll try and help you if you can tell me what they have said to calibrate. I'm guessing either getting the camera centered and or training the drive. Neither are really that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Edited by himsayugh (11/15/13 12:46 PM)

cepheus42

Reged: 11/13/13

Re: Review of the Meade LS 8 ACF new [Re: himsayugh]
      #6213552 - 11/24/13 04:11 PM

Update - I have discovered what I believe to be the source of all the ills I have suffered above. It's actually quite simple. I will explain : I suddenly realised that each time I had suffered a start up problem there was one common factor. If you have an SD chip and it is sitting in the slot when you try to start up, the scope thinks you are trying to reboot the system. The last few times I have started up with out the card in the slot, it has performed perfectly. So I believe the problem is solved and I'm back to my former level of very happy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5960

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics