Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces
      #4110442 - 10/12/10 02:58 PM

Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
teskridg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: PA
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #4110577 - 10/12/10 04:02 PM

This review of the Sterling eyepieces strongly supports what I've contended for years- that there are quality eyepieces out there that are difficult to discriminate from much more expensive ones at 1/3 or 1/4 the price. Tim

T R Conners
journeyman

Reged: 10/10/10

Loc: Statesboro, Georgia
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: teskridg]
      #4116088 - 10/14/10 06:49 PM

I was admiring the wonderful photos of the Moon by Michael Downs when I ran across this at the end of his article about the Sterlings:

"Keep in mind that I simply hand held a point and shoot camera up to the eyepiece."

Wow. The color and contrast of the images are fantastic for such a simple method! Nice work, Michael.

easye
Thinking Ahead

Reged: 04/08/10

Loc: Moved to Long Island
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: T R Conners]
      #4117754 - 10/15/10 01:09 PM

I purchased the Sterling Plossl based on the reviews at CN! It's really is a great value.

Thanks for the wonderful review!!!

Regards,

arpruss
Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

Reged: 05/23/08

Loc: Waco, TX
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: easye]
      #4144226 - 10/26/10 08:45 PM

Great review.

I would also be really curious how the Sterlings stack up against cheaper Plossls, like the $20 Owl ones.

mdowns
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: arpruss]
      #4144343 - 10/26/10 09:37 PM

When I first received the sterlings I had a couple of lower end plossls on hand,a 26mm (meade 4000 clone) and a 20mm. There simply was no comparison.Much better definition and contrast levels left those two in the dirt.Really.I have not had an owl eyepiece in some time and cannot comment on such other to say unless they have improved thier coatings significantly in the past few years I don't think they could really compare.Thank you for your comments and interest!

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: arpruss]
      #4145133 - 10/27/10 09:39 AM

Quote:

I would also be really curious how the Sterlings stack up against cheaper Plossls, like the $20 Owl ones.

I only have one Owl and it does not overlap in focal length with my Sterlings, but it has a somewhat narrower AFOV. I like the Sterlings much better in terms of crispness and the quality of the views. Not a fair comparison, though, since I don't have the two models in the same focal length.

pineknotpineknot
journeyman

Reged: 01/08/13

Re: Review of the Sterling series of eyepieces new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5783413 - 04/07/13 09:44 AM

I just went out last night and made a direct comparison between a 20 mm sterling plossl and a 20 mm televue plossl. I was looking at the orion nebula and the sharpness of the image was noticeably better(not by a huge margin) in the tv. My brother was there and he also agreed. I saw the stars as being sharper pinpoints in the nebula. Another very very annoying thing about the sterling was that it has no eyecup and it has a very large exposed lense near your eye. This means your eyeball is practically on the lense unless you hover your face back from the lense without touching the eyepiece. Basically if you let your face touch the eyepiece your eyelashes will touch the lense and deposit eyelash grease on the lense. I saw the grease after my brother and i used the eyepiece. So cut off your eyelashes before using this eyepiece, dont blink so your eyelashes will stay away from the glass, or don't buy this eyepiece. The optical quality of the sterling is not far off the tv, but it needs an eye cup. I could not find any available on the internet. Edmund optics has some, but they are not properly designed to distance your eye from the sterling. Conclusion: the sterling has a bit of a *BLEEP* design, and the eyelash grease will degrade your view. I say go for the tv. As far as tv eyepieces go this one is a bargain at $120. It will give you the quality of picture that a $330 nagler will give you but just a little narrower. Plossls rock!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4485

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics