Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rick Rick

Reged: 11/11/10

Re: Orion Atlas EQ-G vs. CGEM new [Re: Chris.Baron]
      #4178852 - 11/11/10 12:47 PM

I'm curious to know how you like the CGEM now that you've had it a while. I'm going to buy one today, but am a little concerned about the gearmotor backlash and noise as compared to the Sirius EQ-G

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bbbri

Reged: 11/05/09

Loc: SW Ohio, United States
Re: Orion Atlas EQ-G vs. CGEM new [Re: Rick Rick]
      #4179417 - 11/11/10 05:39 PM

I have 2 CGEMs currently being repaired by Celestron. Both have problems with electronics. I'm missing a lot of clear skies this month. I may go with Losmandy next time.

Edited by bbbri (11/12/10 10:33 AM)

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Orion Atlas EQ-G vs. CGEM new [Re: bbbri]
      #4179752 - 11/11/10 08:39 PM

Some people have had CGEM problems but I suspect that most owners have not. The problem CGEM's just get reported and discussed more often. I have had my CGEM for almost 2 years now and so far no problems at all. Just buy from someone willing to take it back if there is something wrong. OPT will take it back for certain, I believe Astronomics would as well. Don't know about the other companies out there and their return policies. Just save all the cartons and bags.

The CGEM is louder than the Sirius and the Atlas, but not as loud as an LX200. So it isn't really that bad, but the quiet smooth sound of the Atlas and Sirius is pretty nice.

There is nothing really wrong with buying the Atlas either, I would be perfectly happy with one of those. Their hand controller software is not as nice as the CGEM, but it isn't exactly terrible either, it just lacks a few features. I don't like their saddle plate so I would replace that with an ADM plate, but I replaced the one on the CGEM too, so there is no advantage there. The main reason I went with the CGEM is because when you buy it paired with an SCT it saves you some serious cash.

I was looking yesterday at the price of the EdgeHD 11 OTA compared to the prices of the CGEM EdgeHD 11. The difference is only $700. So if a person is going to buy the 11" scope anyway they can get the CGEM for just 700 more. That's a good deal.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Orion Atlas EQ-G vs. CGEM [Re: Lane]
      #4180021 - 11/11/10 11:31 PM

Actually on the thread soliciting positive and negative CGEM experiences (rather than asking for problem reports) over 40% of the CGEM owning respondents indicated that they had experienced QC problems with their mounts.

Though I don't think Losmandy is a panacea to poor Celestron QC. Half of the Losmandy Gemini mounts purchased by club mates have arrived with non-functional electronics. There've even been a couple of Takahashi mounts with bum electronics in the club over the years.

Of the cheap mounts, the Atlas seems to be least problematic. Otherwise, save you pennies for an Astro-Physics mount if you want a relatively troublefree experience.

You're right though about buying a CGEM + SCT bundle. You can save a bundle. In fact, you could likely sell a new, unopened CGEM for $1000 and pocket the extra $300 if you really just wanted an OTA.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (11/11/10 11:35 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7033

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics