Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Ganymede Observation + sketch
      #4197805 - 11/19/10 10:14 PM

Seeing was good enough to view the Galilean moons as disks, each with obvious difference in size. At 534x, in moments of good seeing, I caught some surface markings on Ganymede. In the northern hemisphere a dark wedge shaped feature could be seen, while the northern polar regions appeared lighter and whitish compared to the orange-yellow hue of the rest of the moon. Seeing was still blurring the image, but it also settled enough to get a crisp view of the disk momentarily. I also noted Ganymede's orange-yellow colour contrasting with nearby Callisto's Ice-blue, which was a neat sight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #4197876 - 11/19/10 11:00 PM

Very impressive capture.

Frank

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #4198079 - 11/20/10 02:47 AM

Fantastic! The seeing and your scope must be equally good for an observation of this caliber. Do you often get such good conditions?

Roel
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/22/07

Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: hbanich]
      #4198092 - 11/20/10 03:06 AM

Wow! I have a 12" f/4 Dobson myself but with the seeing conditions (and the low altitude of Jupiter, 30 degrees) from the Netherlands this must be an impossible observation to me. Just incredible to see surface details and even color differences on Ganymede!

lunar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/03/10

Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: Roel]
      #4198735 - 11/20/10 01:01 PM

Very nice sketch! I like your description too.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: lunar]
      #4199225 - 11/20/10 05:54 PM

Nice sketch of a very difficult subject.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: hbanich]
      #4199432 - 11/20/10 07:47 PM

thanks all for your kind words

Quote:

Fantastic! The seeing and your scope must be equally good for an observation of this caliber. Do you often get such good conditions?

These conditions are painfully rare. Even though, Ganymede was still blurring and jumping around so patience was required to capture each fleeting moment to confirm surface detail. So as good as seeing was, there's still room for improvement. I only had 1 other night this year of similar seeing where I was able to observe plantery nebulae at in excess of 700x. Scope has excellent optics, focusing on 47 Tuc and NGC 362 on the same night I was blown away by how crisp and clear they were at 334x. Even at 762x there was that "snap" focus rather than it just mushing thru it, (which promptly dissappeared later in the night)! Went out last night again, but seeing was back to the usual with Jupiter observation difficult even at 200x

Edited by HellsKitchen (11/20/10 07:51 PM)

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #4202566 - 11/22/10 09:50 AM

It must be impressive to see detail on a Jupiter moon.

hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
      #4203727 - 11/22/10 08:32 PM

Quote:

These conditions are painfully rare. Even though, Ganymede was still blurring and jumping around so patience was required to capture each fleeting moment to confirm surface detail. So as good as seeing was, there's still room for improvement. I only had 1 other night this year of similar seeing where I was able to observe plantery nebulae at in excess of 700x. Scope has excellent optics, focusing on 47 Tuc and NGC 362 on the same night I was blown away by how crisp and clear they were at 334x. Even at 762x there was that "snap" focus rather than it just mushing thru it, (which promptly dissappeared later in the night)! Went out last night again, but seeing was back to the usual with Jupiter observation difficult even at 200x

That's about the same for me, but it's nice to know that your scope can handle steady seeing when it comes along.

Heidescoper
sage

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany
      #4207392 - 11/24/10 03:21 PM

great observation
Fine sketch!

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: Heidescoper]
      #4207538 - 11/24/10 04:28 PM

That's fantastic, I can only dream of seeing that level of detail in the UK.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: dweller25]
      #4208274 - 11/24/10 10:40 PM

An outstanding observation of Ganymede showing albedo features over the surface. The largest satellite in the solar system does present some interesting detail if sufficient aperture and seeing conditions allow.

If you would allow me to post a revised version with the colors that you note above I will do so.

Carlos

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4208489 - 11/25/10 02:09 AM

thanks all. Dweller, Melbourne is no better than the UK that's for darn sure! It's very rare to get such good seeing, only had one other night this year with similar conditions!

Carl, you're more than welcome to modify the sketch. I look forward to seeing it.

cheers

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
      #4208958 - 11/25/10 11:02 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

The image below is based upon your fine observation and report of Ganymede. I hope that you like it. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4212401 - 11/27/10 03:58 AM

Yep that's good Carlos, you've done well capturing the subtle differences in colour as I saw it in the eyepiece. Cheers.

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#4213905 - 11/27/10 08:20 PM

Very impressive observation and fine sketch.

Best,

Eric

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: ericj]
      #4214061 - 11/27/10 10:05 PM

HK,

That's a terrific observation and sketch of Ganymede (I like Carlos's augmented version, too). You mentioned patience and waiting for those brief moments of steady seeing--that's what it takes for an observation like this.

astroducky
sage

Reged: 10/02/06

Loc: South East Asia
Re: Ganymede Observation + sketch new [Re: Special Ed]
      #4218704 - 11/30/10 11:07 AM

2 weeks ago, I also managed to glimpse hints of detail on Ganymede. I could see that it was generally yellowish in colour and a portion of it brown. There was also a dark black spot on it. I was observing at 320x and 400x with my 12.5" Obsession. The seeing was very good to excellent; typically noted with high humidity (slight condensation) and little wind and cool temperature. At 320x, Jupiter was razor sharp and at 400x it was sharp. This was the second time I managed to catch details on Ganymede.

I also noticed a brown kind of like a storm at the North Temperate belt and it was beside a barge. The storm looked something like the GRS but probably it was smaller in size and circle in shape. I could see swirling details within it too. Another interesting feature I saw that night was a 'Z' shape blue coloured festoon at the SEB area and there was a white oval in the Z shape.

Unfortunately, I did not sketch Jupiter that night as I had to work the next day and did not want to sleep too late.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1733

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics