Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus
      #4201925 - 11/21/10 10:37 PM

Earlier this month I was able to get 3 wonderful days of observing in before the clouds came, bringing with them their 12 inches of snow this morning! If you live east of Utah, watch out for this storm. Luckily it comes during full moon!

Anyway NGC 1055 is interacting with Messier 77 and there is a wonderful APOD image of that located here. They make a wonderful contrast I feel.

My sketch is of course, nothing like that. NGC 1055 appeared as an edge spiral in my XX14i using both a 10mm and 14mm Pentax XW eyepiece. I detected a slight brightening on the northern edge and perhaps a hint of something going on there. No core is directly visible. Not a tremendous object but one that I intend to return to and hopefully do a duo sketch of M77 and NGC 1055.

Here is the information in case you cannot read it:

Object: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus.
Date: November 5th, 2010
Time: 01:04 Mountain Daylight Time or 07:04 UT
Location: Rush Valley, West Desert, Utah; Pit n Pole Location.
V. Mag. 10.6
Size: 7.3' x 3.3'
Instrument: XX14i
Eyepieces: 10mm & 14mm Pentax XW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: JayinUT]
      #4202224 - 11/22/10 02:56 AM

Nicely done Jay! Not only is your sketch drawn so it gives a realistic rendering of what you saw in the eyepiece, but I'm inpressed you passed up M77 - or did you?

I've always found that great observing immediately followed by bad weather makes the observations all that more enjoyable - plus there's usually more time to complete writing notes and finish sketches. Even better if it's a bad storm.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: hbanich]
      #4202277 - 11/22/10 04:22 AM

Nice sketch! I wonder if that dust lane can be seen with moderate apertures?

Mentor
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #4202527 - 11/22/10 09:33 AM

Comparing your sketch to the photograph it looks like you nailed the field stars. Nice sketch.

Edited by Mentor (11/22/10 09:33 AM)

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: Mentor]
      #4202599 - 11/22/10 10:04 AM

Fine sketch of this "not so easy" to see gx.

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: hbanich]
      #4203142 - 11/22/10 02:45 PM

Thanks everyone. It doesn't have the great details of other galaxies but wanted to post it anyway. No, I didn't pass on M77, just not processed and probably won't be until this weekend. In terms of lower aperture on this here is a link to the NGC/IC Database with a 13" and a 8" scope. I had a pretty good night that night in terms of seeing and want to say I could make out a hint of items. Perhaps, or perhaps just my mind wanting it. Give it a try. You'll never know until you do but you do need a dark site to see it but YMMV.

NGC 1055 NGC/IC Project

norden
sage

Reged: 09/08/08

Loc: Norden
      #4207367 - 11/24/10 03:09 PM

An excellent observation of NGC 1055! Cool!

Mikael

lymorkiew45
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: Surfing the galaxy...
      #4208248 - 11/24/10 10:31 PM

In your 14" it looks like a faint featureless object, I wonder what it looks like in your 20" Obsession scope? If you observe this same object with your 20", put a sketch up, so we can compare the views...clear skies...

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: lymorkiew45]
      #4210076 - 11/25/10 09:29 PM

Jay,

An excellent observation of NGC 1055. This is an interesting spiral galaxy in Cetus. M77 near it adds to the scene. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4212090 - 11/26/10 10:19 PM

Jay,

That is an excellent sketch of the galaxy NGC 1055.
Fine work on getting this to look like a real eyepiece view.

Frank

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: frank5817]
      #4213399 - 11/27/10 03:27 PM

Thank you Mikael, Carlos and Frank. I actually think a couple of sketches that I did and posted on my blog are even better. I'll post one here.

Jorgen,

The 20" Obsession shows this object as a fairly bright, large and elongated galaxy. I have not sketched this on the 20", just observed it. I am currently doing a comparison via sketching on certain bright objects. I almost have NGC 7479 processed and ready to compare to the 14. Most of my sketching will be done with the 14 (the ones I post) because that is closer to what most people will use. Also, the 20" sits in our observatory 3.5 to 4 hours (more in winter) to the south and I only get down there when I am not teaching. The 14 gets much more use up here. However, I have had the 20" out with the 14" a couple of times when my brother-in-law comes up here for business and it has been fun to compare the views in both. The 20" has more contrast, the view is brighter and details can be seen more readily. However, I have to say that the 14 holds her own at times, and we have enjoyed the views there as well and I am very, very happy with both scopes.

I have learned that for me, with my back that the 20" is more for the observatory where I can use it with ease. We have a little giant ladders set up with a platform that we can sit or stand on to view and that helps a lot; you can see that system here at Little Giant Scaffold. BTW I have no relationship with the Little Giant Ladder Co. At the top rung where you can stand/sit, I have been able to sit on that and observe and sketch, which I did with the NGC 7479 sketch. The ladder is one issue I haven't overcome with sketching. I hate going up and down. My right foot has a condition that standing on a ladder tares some padding on the bottom of the foot and that is painful. So going up and standing at the EP to sketch is a challenge. Hopefully our improvised Little Giant Setup will continue to work. We'd like to try and make a place to take up a chair to sit on, but for now, it allows both of us to be up on the scope and to simply move around each other to view. Not something I'd do for public outreach though! Thus the 14 is used because of location (it stays with me), comfort, two feet on the ground via a chair or on my feet, no ladder. I love using the 20" but I am not sure how much I would enjoy it in the field all of the time. Thus it serves the purpose for which we got it for nicely, private observing for me, my brother-in-law and our families. Some use a 20" in the field all the time, I can't do that so this was a win win solution for me and I am very happy with it. Now if January would come with clear skies I can get down there when I am off for 3 weeks again! So, I'll do some sketching with the 20" but my main focus will be using the XX14i or the XT10 or the 8 or 12 inch dobs I'm starting to build (starting to grind the 8 inch mirror now).

lymorkiew45
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: Surfing the galaxy...
      #4214002 - 11/27/10 09:19 PM

Why are you building a 12", when you already have a 14"? Isn't that counterproductive? Have you compared the views between a 12", and 14" scope before? I Know by experience that a +-.3 magnitude increase in brightness would do very little if anything to improve the views of faint objects enough really to notice, even with a 12", and 16" side by side, it takes a little study, and patience to see the difference between the two apertures unless the objects are GC's, or other objects with high contrast like small PN's, the planets, or the Moon, which would probably benifit the most form the increase of .6 magnitudes in brightness, so I would think the comparison between a 12", and 14" would be very subtle if at all visible. The two apertures have very similiar performance, but the 12" is much easier to handle then the 14". So you sacrifice very little having a 12" versus a 14", in fact .3 magnitudes falls below the .4 magnitude threshold rule, and as I have done research and study before of what different apertures are capable of in all kinds of conditions, and this is what I have heard from other very experienced people as well I have contact with: They say you can add, or subtract .4 magnitudes from the threshold, and the difference would be barely noticeable, that is at least my experience with the research I have done over the years...clear skies...

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Re: NGC 1055 Edge on Spiral Galaxy in Cetus new [Re: lymorkiew45]
      #4214295 - 11/28/10 12:36 AM

Jorgen,

I know the math, I know the views and the comparisons. The 8 and 12 are for my two teens who soon will be 18 and 17. I have a good friend who will guide us but the project is ours. In the end, I get to spend some real quality time with my two kids, deepening our bond while we make something that knowing how my family is, and my kids are, will be treasured and used by both. Perhaps more important are the memories we'll make doing this together. That for me, is worth any cost. So its not about the tool, but about the making of the tool and the relationships building the tools will strengthen that matter; its the human element at work here. Hope that makes sense. Oh, that and the experience of making a scope from scratch is well worth it also.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1148

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics