Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010
      #4213887 - 11/27/10 08:12 PM

Hi All,

In late October I set up the TMB 175mm (7") apo refractor to observe a double shadow transit on Jupiter by Ganymede and Europa. Later I observed Uranus. Here are my observing notes and link to a sketch of Jupiter. The seeing was good for Jupiter at first but later became mostly fair with
mid-level clouds obscuring the view from time to time.

On Jupiter the southern portion of the globe the South Polar Region (SPR), South Temperate Zone (STZ), South Temperate Belt (STB), and South Tropical Zone (STropZ) were visible. The outline of the South Equatorial Belt (SEB)
was visible, and was slightly darker than the Equatorial Zone (EZ) which appeared shaded. The SEB north (SEBn) had an irregular outline.

The shadow of Ganymede was visible near the preceding limb on the left in the STZ, as were several ovals. The shadow of Europa was visible in the SEB. The SPR was gray green in color.

In the Equatorial Zone (EZ) two festoons were visible along the North Equatorial Belt south (NEBs). The base of these festoons was blue in color. A bay was visible between the festoons and two red ovals were visible in the North Equatorial Belt (NEB). The NEB had a reddish-brownish color to it, and appeared uneven along the NEB north (NEBn).

In the northern portion of the globe the North Tropical Zone (NTrZ), North Temperate Belt (NTB), North Temperate Zone (NTZ), and North Polar Region (NPR) were visible. The NTB had several knots or thicker sections to it. The NPR was tan-brown color.

Limb darkening was noticeable on following limb of the globe.

When the seeing settled down the moons appeared as disks.

Here is a link to the sketch of Jupiter:

Jupiter Sketch

After finishing the above sketch I swung the telescope over to observe Uranus. It was resolved as a disk with a blue-green color. There appeared to be a lighter colored area near the center of the disk. A few years ago I observed Uranus with the same telescope and there were times when one of the polar regions appeared darker than the other polar region, and there appeared to be a lighter zone or belt near the equator on the following limb.

Clear Skies,

Eric Jamison

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010 new [Re: ericj]
      #4214361 - 11/28/10 01:16 AM

Eric,

Great sketch and report. The moon shadows on the faint SEB are very impressive.
I like the nice festoons you saw and included which I only see when the seeing is near perfect.

Frank

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010 new [Re: frank5817]
      #4214445 - 11/28/10 04:52 AM

You're TMB must be a beautiful telescope to observe with!

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #4218301 - 11/30/10 03:14 AM

Eric,

An excellent observation and report of Jupiter and Uranus. The two transit shadows (Europa and Ganymede) must have been impressive. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010 new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #4218368 - 11/30/10 06:17 AM

Eric,

Thanks for posting your report and sketch. A double transit is a great thing to see. The SEB is faint and quiet in your sketch, but present, just as it has appeared up until the recent outbreak. Nicely done!

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

Re: Jupiter and Uranus Observations October 24th, 2010 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #4219435 - 11/30/10 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The seeing was only fair when I observed Jupiter but I tried to make as accurate sketch as possible.

Best,

Eric

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 687

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics