Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
BackyardEOS is born!
      #4214268 - 11/28/10 12:17 AM

BackyardEOS ~ Purpose-built software for astrophotography!

Im pleased to announce that I have just given birth to purpose-built software for astrophotographers imaging with Canon DSLR cameras that everyone can afford.

If youre reading this page, chances are you are looking for an alternative to the current software you are using for image acquisition. Dont be afraid, Im one of you guys and I know how much we spend on software versus OTA, mounts, and cameras. By selling software Im positioning myself on the wrong side of the economic scale (or budget if you prefer) but my main objective is to provide a simple, yet effective, software for a price that I would expect to pay myself and not a penny more.

Ever dreamed of live FWHM feedback when trying to focus?

View the entire DSLR field of view while trying to frame/center a target?

What about dithering between frames, that would be nice?

Automatic adding of meaningful Exif metadata to the raw .cr2 files such as target name, filters used, current temperature?

BackyardEOS delivers on all of these capabilities right out of the box, and does so much more. But dont take my word for it; here are some unsolicited testimonials from real users that have been generous enough to offer their time and effort to test BackyardEOS in its infancy stage to ensure good quality prior to its official release.

Mark Dearing: "BackyardEOS makes my two recent imaging sessions so easy and simple I am truly amazed; I have stopped using any other programs..."

Chris Hutcheson: "After using this software, I don't see how I managed without it. It makes the whole process of imaging with a DSLR much, much easier."

Ferran Bosch: "the truth is that BackyardEOS is wonderful, very easy to use and very intuitive, very friendly."

John White: "This program looks like it has a lot of promise! I especially like the Frame and Focus mode! All in all, this is an outstanding piece of software and I see it becoming one of my favorites. Well done!"

Bassnut (IceInSpace): "I must say, that looks very interesting. A simple user interface with the features you need. The live view focus looks comprehensive, the 1st DSLR app I've seen with proper live FWHM focus feedback."

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has participated in the beta testing rounds. The quality and craftsmanship of BackyardEOS is made possible because of people like you!

Please visit us at http://backyardeos.binaryrivers.com/

Proud father of BackyardEOS! Ive attached a few family pictures below.

Guylain Rochon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: guyroch]
      #4214270 - 11/28/10 12:18 AM Attachment (97 downloads)

Main imaging screen...

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4214272 - 11/28/10 12:18 AM Attachment (74 downloads)

Frame & Focus...

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4214274 - 11/28/10 12:19 AM Attachment (71 downloads)

Frame & Focus with Bahtinov Mask...

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4214275 - 11/28/10 12:19 AM Attachment (76 downloads)

Drift Alignment...

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#4214305 - 11/28/10 12:43 AM

any chance we'll ever see a macosx version of this software?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: pfile]
      #4214317 - 11/28/10 12:52 AM

Sadly not anytime soon, sorry. The application is built on .Net and therefore not compatible with Mac. There is always the Mono platform which is said to be a pretty good .Net equivalent platform for Mac but this is not for today or even tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest.

Guylain

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#4214410 - 11/28/10 02:38 AM

bummer, yeah i tried to port a .net app to mono a while back and failed spectacularly. maybe mono has improved recently, i don't know...

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
      #4214607 - 11/28/10 08:57 AM

Hi Guilain, I'm sorry I wasn't able to test more than I did, but the weather just hasn't been cooperating...

Good luck with the program!

Poochpa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/12/05

Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY
      #4214613 - 11/28/10 09:04 AM

Can the night vision be turned off? I use a red filter over my laptop screen.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4214673 - 11/28/10 10:08 AM

Quote:

bummer, yeah i tried to port a .net app to mono a while back and failed spectacularly. maybe mono has improved recently, i don't know...

The application may need to be adapted slightly to run on Mono... but if I decide to go that way I will adapt it. Again this is not for today or tomorrow though.

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #4214675 - 11/28/10 10:10 AM

Quote:

Hi Guilain, I'm sorry I wasn't able to test more than I did, but the weather just hasn't been cooperating...

Good luck with the program!

No problem Roger! I really, really, really appreciate all the help I got from the entire team of testers (about 12 dedicated individuals). The quality and craftsmanship of BackyardEOS is made possible because of people like you.

Thanks you

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: Poochpa]
      #4214679 - 11/28/10 10:12 AM

Quote:

Can the night vision be turned off? I use a red filter over my laptop screen.

Not in the first release, sorry. But this is the second request I have received to 'skin' the application for daytime use... I think I'll have to consider seriously.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Guylain

Nick Rose

Reged: 11/01/10

Loc: San Mateo, CA
      #4215081 - 11/28/10 01:51 PM

I know the Canon 300D Rebel does not have a live view, but will this software down the line support the Rebel.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: Nick Rose]
      #4215755 - 11/28/10 07:57 PM

Quote:

This looks great! I am interested in purchasing it, just curious about one thing though. What do you think your system requirements are for it? I am using an old, circa 2000 pIII 800 machine with winxp.

The oldest machine I have here is an old Compaq Presario laptop with 512MB of ram and it runs smoothly for imaging. In live view mode the CPU hovers at about 85%... there is a lot going on during live view; including live FWHM feedback. During imaging though the CPU hovers at about 25% and peeks to to 90% for a few seconds during download.

Currently I have set the live view to take 1 image stream every 100ms. If this proves to be too much for a PIII 800 I can make a configuration available to boost it to say 200ms (or whatever you wish ~ I would make it configurable).

Try it, I'd be very interested in knowing the results. I can add the config for you during the trial so you can you see how your PIII takes it.

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: Nick Rose]
      #4215801 - 11/28/10 08:21 PM

Quote:

I know the Canon 300D Rebel does not have a live view, but will this software down the line support the Rebel.

Sadly the original 300D is a type 1 protocol camera.

--- Quote from the Canon SDK documentation ---
EOS Kiss Digital N , 350D, REBELXT, and EOS 5D model cameras come shipped from the factory with communications set for [Print/PTP] but functions that support PC connections are limited. For example, capture-related features cannot be used. Since these cameras use [PC connection] (Type 1 protocol) as the standard for connecting to a PC, they are Type 1 protocol standard cameras.
--- END ---

I'm interested in supporting it but to be honest it's not for today or tomorrow.

I know I'll be attracting an a different market segment if I do support the legacy type 1 protocol cameras as Canon calls them. I'm not saying I won't support them, I'm just saying not now.

Here is the reason why and what it would take for me to support the legacy type 1 protocol cameras.

1) I would need to purchase an old camera, any legacy type 1 protocol camera.
2) I would need to purchase as DSUSB cable
3) I would need to adapt BackyardEOS to support such connection. Right from the get go, the Canon SDK does not operate in the same manner with Type 1 cameras as it does with Type 2 cameras. No major issues, but I do need Type 1 camera to be successful at it.

I hope this shed some light in what (an why) the legacy cameras are not supported in this first release.

Thank you for your interest.

Guylain Rochon

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #4215900 - 11/28/10 09:34 PM

CONGRATS Guylain!!!
Backyard EOS is absolutely the best DSLR aquisition SW I have ever used...and it is so easy to use, it makes no sense to use anything else!!!!

Again, congrats and good luck on this venture!!

CHEERS!!!

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: nofxrx]
      #4215903 - 11/28/10 09:37 PM

Oh, the skin idea is a pretty good one..it doesnt bother me as I never use anything to cover my laptop(while at home)..but it would be useful in the future if I get out to some star parties..

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is re-born! new [Re: nofxrx]
      #4216077 - 11/28/10 11:42 PM

There have been quite a number of conversations going on today regarding the pricing structure of BackyardEOS. The conversations have taken places on several astronomy forums around the world where I introduced BackyardEOS and in my Yahoo support group as well.

Let me reassure everyone by saying I hear you!

Your feedback, positive or negative, is important to me. It will make me stronger and BackyardEOS a better product that everyone can enjoy without worrying about price.

Im serious about making BackyardEOS a household name in the DSLR imaging space and if $8 a year stands in the way of it becoming just that I will gladly remove this barrier. The money is not that important to me, your satisfaction is!

Im also not keen in raising the price much higher. I think that $24 is a fair introductory price and anything higher will have potential buyers think twice before purchasing and this would go against the making BackyardEOS a household name concept.

With this said BackyardEOS is re-born!

1) The mandatory $8 annual fee is removed
2) The purchase price stays at $24
3) I will send a new license file with no expiry date to everyone that has already purchased the software. I want to be fair to everyone.
4) I will update the web site accordingly.

For this price you will get one single user license for BackyardEOS, one year support, and one year free service software updates with bug fixes and minor software enhancements as they become available.

Discounts will be offered for renewing your support agreement should you wish to continue with this service level. You are free to continue using your current licensed copy of BackyardEOS should you decide not to renew your support agreement; you will simply no longer be entitled to free service software updates with bug fixes and minor software enhancements as they become available.

Discounts will also be offered to newer major release upgrades with major software enhancement to all license holders regardless if you have renewed your service level or not.

This is still licensed software and the End User License Agreement is in effect at all times whether you renew your support agreement or not.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has provided feedback on this very important matter, instant feedback at times . Life is a learning experience and today was no exception for me.

Clear skies,

Guylain Rochon

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: BackyardEOS is re-born! new [Re: guyroch]
      #4216340 - 11/29/10 06:58 AM

Thank you Guylain. I will buy your software today. It looks very promising.

An iPhone version will be great. I am using Sky Safari for all the planning and for wireless telescope control. It works like a dream. Having a camera control on iPhone platform will help avoiding a laptop in the field completely. This is a suggestion for future development.

All the best.

Sedat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17397

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics