Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: Doug76]
      #4291677 - 01/04/11 04:13 PM

Glad to see you were able to drift align with BackyardEOS. ISO is automatically set to 1600 going into Liveview frame/focus and drift align, more light photons that way The default is also set 1600 for the capture plan... so unless you pull down a different ISO speed in the capture plan 1600 it is

Guylain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: guyroch]
      #4291877 - 01/04/11 05:36 PM

Can a serial shutter cable be used for mirror lockup on a XSi (aka 450d)?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: tjay]
      #4292020 - 01/04/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Serial shutter cable is not yet supported... but I'd be interested to know if it works. Let me know if you try.

Guylain

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#4292758 - 01/05/11 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Serial shutter cable is not yet supported... but I'd be interested to know if it works. Let me know if you try.

Guylain

Guylain, I'm waiting for the parts to build my own cable to show up. I noticed some shutter shake in some of my eclipse shots, and I wondered if Backyard EOS would be able to use the serial cable to do mirror lockup on my XSi.

Tom

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4292791 - 01/05/11 01:03 AM

Mirror lock up is very tricky with the Canon SDK. Canon has not made this easy. It's a special property and *ALL* camera behave differently in a BIG way. It's on the list of features to-do for sure... but it won't be for tomorrow... 6 months from now maybe/probably.

Hope this helps... but keep me posted with the serial cable. I think I'll have to buy one sooner rather than later and give it a good run once and for all

Guylain

ChadGray
sage

Reged: 04/09/10

Loc: North East Ohio
      #4294990 - 01/05/11 10:15 PM

Guylain, i have not used your software, but i really like where it is going from what i have read.

Currently i use Nebulosity for capturing images, but it does not offer live view.

I would like to skip using an eyepiece for aligning my mount. I could purchase an illuminated centering eyepiece, but can your software give me a cross hair in live view mode?

Maybe it already exists and i have not read enough.

It would be cool to align my mount on three stars using my finder scope to get them close. Then using BackyardEOS in live view to get the alignment stars dead centered in the camera with live view and a cross hair.

Does this exist or is it a feature request?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: ChadGray]
      #4295055 - 01/05/11 10:54 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

You bet it does, here's a screen shoot of the drift alignment screen using live view... with rotatable crosshair

Thank you for your inquiry.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4295059 - 01/05/11 10:58 PM

a few more screen shoots here

http://backyardeos.binaryrivers.com/screen-shots

Guylain

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#4344992 - 01/27/11 08:47 PM

Quote:

Mirror lock up is very tricky with the Canon SDK. Canon has not made this easy. It's a special property and *ALL* camera behave differently in a BIG way. It's on the list of features to-do for sure... but it won't be for tomorrow... 6 months from now maybe/probably.

Hope this helps... but keep me posted with the serial cable. I think I'll have to buy one sooner rather than later and give it a good run once and for all

Guylain

Guylain,

I meant to post a reply to this before.

The serial cable I'm referring to is the one connects an RS-232 port to the shutter remote. If you use one of these cables, you can set mirror lockup in the menu, and then just active the shutter twice.

Unfortunately, my attempts to make a cable didn't turn out so well (basically I fried the optical couplers with my soldering iron). After having to order the parts and pay shipping for them, I'm probably going to order one.

I read somewhere that the Canon Rebel XSi (aka 450D) doesn't support mirror lockup via USB.

I love the look of Backyard EOS, but given the problems I've already seen in my limited astrophotography attempts, the mirror lockup support a key feature for me.

From the code samples I've seen, it looks like it's just a matter of opening the serial port. Here is one of the pages with sample VB code: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html

jimarshall
sage

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Virginia
      #4349573 - 01/29/11 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Guylain

Guylain,

The serial cable I'm referring to is the one connects an RS-232 port to the shutter remote. If you use one of these cables, you can set mirror lockup in the menu, and then just active the shutter twice.

Unfortunately, my attempts to make a cable didn't turn out so well (basically I fried the optical couplers with my soldering iron). After having to order the parts and pay shipping for them, I'm probably going to order one.

I read somewhere that the Canon Rebel XSi (aka 450D) doesn't support mirror lockup via USB.

I love the look of Backyard EOS, but given the problems I've already seen in my limited astrophotography attempts, the mirror lockup support a key feature for me.

From the code samples I've seen, it looks like it's just a matter of opening the serial port. Here is one of the pages with sample VB code: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html

Tom,
Don't be so fast giving up on your homemade serial cable, at first mine didn't work because I was too cautious with the solder iron. The resistor and diode looked soldered to pin one of the chip, but only the resistor and diode were soldered together...nothing on the pin. I reheated the joint for about 3 sec and every thing worked fine after that. Actually, the chip's data sheet says it can take up to 10 sec of heat from a 15W iron before it fails.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: jimarshall]
      #4350704 - 01/30/11 02:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Guylain

Guylain,

Tom,
Don't be so fast giving up on your homemade serial cable, at first mine didn't work because I was too cautious with the solder iron. The resistor and diode looked soldered to pin one of the chip, but only the resistor and diode were soldered together...nothing on the pin. I reheated the joint for about 3 sec and every thing worked fine after that. Actually, the chip's data sheet says it can take up to 10 sec of heat from a 15W iron before it fails.

Jim,

Thanks for the encouragement. I actually broke off the pins on the optocoupler, so I don't think that's fixable. I did, however, find a local place that had them, so I'm going to try again. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. Either way though, I've now found a place that I can pop out to after work and pick up more parts if I wreck something.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4352002 - 01/31/11 12:34 AM

Quote:

Tom,

My understanding is that mirror lockup is most useful for short exposure, such as when doing planetary imaging. For long exposures of a few minutes and above the movement (if any) of the mirror slap will be washed out and mirror lockup would have little or no benefits. I’ll be first to admit though that I’ve done most of my imaging without mirror lockup so my understanding may not be the norm. I also understand that this may differ from one camera to the other and perhaps the stability of one’s setup as well.

Any thoughts?

Guylain

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#4352343 - 01/31/11 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tom,

My understanding is that mirror lockup is most useful for short exposure, such as when doing planetary imaging. For long exposures of a few minutes and above the movement (if any) of the mirror slap will be washed out and mirror lockup would have little or no benefits. I’ll be first to admit though that I’ve done most of my imaging without mirror lockup so my understanding may not be the norm. I also understand that this may differ from one camera to the other and perhaps the stability of one’s setup as well.

Any thoughts?

Guylain

Guylain,

I'm really just starting out the long road to decent astrophotography, but I have already noticed issues with camera shake from the mirror opening and closing. It does seem to be primarily on brighter targets like planets and the moon where a webcam is probably better used, but I have found it to be an issue.

Tom

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4357910 - 02/02/11 11:42 AM

BackyardEOS Version 1.0.3 (Revision 29320) dated January 15, 2011 has graduated from beta release to production release today!

It's not a big release but I'm paving the way to post Version 1.1.0 as a beta preview in a week or two.

*** Version 1.0.3 Overview ***
New Feature: Support to in-camera dark subtraction.
New Feature: 'AV Flats' shutter is added (when no camera lens is connected); the histogram should peek roughly halfway
New Feature: Camera sensor temperature can now be displayed in Fahrenheit
Bug Fix: A few other minor fixes.

*** Download ***
http://backyardeos.binaryrivers.com/download

*** Complete Change Log ***
http://backyardeos.binaryrivers.com/change-log

*** Version 1.1.0 Overview (later this month) ***
- Canon SDK 2.9
- Canon 60D support
- Several optimization in Live View
- ISO is to maximum value possible value for live view
- Star HD: Way more sensitivity and controls over the parameters
- Star HD: Bahtinov spikes edge detection.
- Programmable snap button in frame & focus; will allow for continuous loop.
- Continuous looping of image capture plans.
- Eclipse Framing; overlap a previous image over current one to facilitate framing over several imaging sessions; full control on opacity and orientation for post meridian flip.
- Camera auto power off override while connected to BackyardEOS.
- Low Battery Alarm with configurable threshold.
- Ability to turn on/off adding extra exif data to all raw image files.
- Improved daylight skins
- The list goes on etc...

Guylain

ZielkeNightsky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Denmark
      #4361159 - 02/03/11 05:01 PM

Hi

When I'm imaging with my Newts 8" and 10", mirror lock-up is important. On brighter stars I can see imaging blurring form the mirror opening. I always use mirror lock-up when imaging DSO's.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4414952 - 02/27/11 01:52 PM

BackyardEOS BETA Version 1.1.0 (Revision 22701) dated February 27, 2011 is currently available for download in the ‘Brave Souls’ section.

ALL license files are honored. Please use your purchased license file OR your active trial license file with this beta release.

And now we are 2…
I am no longer the sole developer of BackyardEOS! I have solicited the help of a long time friend and top notch software engineer, his name is Chris. As a direct result of having Chris help me, I’m able to deliver 2 major enhancements which were not scheduled for this release; Multilingual and Planetary Imaging! Thank you Chris!

Special thanks to Ferran Bosch for the initial Spanish translation.
Special thanks to François Bernier for the initial French translation.

Anyone willing to translate in any other languages just let me know.

*** Quick 1.1.0 Overview ***
NEW: Canon 60D support added
NEW: Multilingual support; currently available in English, French, and Spanish
NEW: Planetary Imaging Mode, BackyardEOS has the ability to create AVI files
NEW: Complete control over image file names
NEW: Date Style image sub-folder added
NEW: Text File Delimited Weather Provider added
NEW: Tool tips added
NEW: Low Battery Alarm with configurable threshold added
NEW: Camera auto-shutoff override added
NEW: Continuous looping of your capture plan added
NEW: Continuous looping when snapping pictures in Frame & Focus added
NEW: Star HD improvement! BackyardEOS can resolve Bahtinov spikes better than EOS Utility
NEW: In-camera 5x zoom capability in live view mode added
NEW: Standard Deviation and FWHM added to file name and Exif data.
NEW: Saving Snap images in Frame & Focus is now optional
NEW: Enhance logging added
FIX: System freeze. In rare cases BackyardEOS would freeze when downloading images
FIX: Special characters in target name are now filtered out.

This is just a high level overview, please consult the ‘Brave Souls’ section for a complete list of new features and enhancements.

*** Download & Complete Change Log ***
http://backyardeos.binaryrivers.com/download

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #4416023 - 02/27/11 10:06 PM

Having finally gotten an auto guider, I look forward to using the program again. So far I have really enjoyed it. I am still learning AP, but your program is helping the cause immensely.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#4418613 - 03/01/11 08:10 AM

Good news, BackyardEOS is 90 days old!

I have decided to celebrate its early success by removing the time limit on the 90 day introductory low price.

The price is therefore permanently is set to $24 usd, until further notice! And I don't plan to issue a notice anytime soon

Thank you for your support and interest,

Guylain Rochon

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: BackyardEOS is born! new [Re: Tim C]
      #4445733 - 03/12/11 11:16 PM

Quote:

Guylain,

Great looking program, I'm probably going to buy it. Right now I use Nebulosity for frame and focus and then switch over to the Canon software for imaging. Looks like I can just use one program now. One question though, can you have the program shoot one second subs (or longer) repeatedly in frame and focus mode without saving the image? This is a neat feature of Nebulosity that helps frame objects as you are moving the mount in situations where live view isn't sensitive enough to pick up the stars.

Tim,

Taking shoots repeatedly has been added to 1.1.0 currently available for download.

I also have edge detection algorithm in Frame & Focus to really pull out the Bahtinov spikes.

You can also stack live view frames for enhanced clarity and better focusing... live stacking coupled with live FWHM feedback makes it a very powerful tool. Anyway I'll let you discover for yourself.

Guylain

kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Running from Clouds
      #4453454 - 03/16/11 11:17 AM

howdy Guyain;
How long will v. 1.1.0 be in beta mode before it is released as the replacement for 1.0.3? and what about dual camera control?

sorry just one more question! where in north america can one buy a Temperhumid usb device?!?!?

thanks!
kbastro

Edited by kbastro (03/16/11 11:18 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17645

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics