Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review
      #4214634 - 11/28/10 09:25 AM

Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mwedel
Works with Sauropods

Reged: 12/16/07

Loc: Claremont, CA
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #4215388 - 11/28/10 04:58 PM

Excellent review, Ed. Very thorough and fair. It's nice to know that such a decent scope is so affordable.

Starsareus

Reged: 07/27/08

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: mwedel]
      #4216454 - 11/29/10 08:49 AM

I just rec'd this scope off an Ebay seller (OTA Only) for $40.00. It had no surprises except the Objective spacers were Very Visable looking in tube from both ends (minus eyepiece). Is this common?

mwedel
Works with Sauropods

Reged: 12/16/07

Loc: Claremont, CA
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Starsareus]
      #4217330 - 11/29/10 04:28 PM

Quote:

I just rec'd this scope off an Ebay seller (OTA Only) for $40.00. It had no surprises except the Objective spacers were Very Visable looking in tube from both ends (minus eyepiece). Is this common?

I think it's fairly common with inexpensive refractors and older models. Usually the spacers are not noticeable in the in-focus image. There are some very well-regarded classic scopes that have visible spacers, so it's not necessarily a bar to optical quality.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: mwedel]
      #4219678 - 11/30/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

Excellent review, Ed. Very thorough and fair. It's nice to know that such a decent scope is so affordable.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review.

Ed D

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Starsareus]
      #4219693 - 11/30/10 07:05 PM

Quote:

This is actually quite common, more so in past years. The spacers do not appear in the in-focus image and do not detract in any way. They are no different than the mirror clips on Newtonian scopes, except that the clips are immensely larger by comparison.

I hope you enjoyed the review, and that you enjoy your new scope as well.

Ed D

astroneil
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/28/09

Loc: res publica caledoniae
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Ed D]
      #4219775 - 11/30/10 07:50 PM

Nice review ED,

Sounds like the 70mm Celestron is a versatile little scope and a good bargain, considering its modest cost.

With best wishes,

Neil.

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
      #4223726 - 12/02/10 03:46 PM

Great review, Ed. There is nothing like a scope you can take with you anywhere and not have to worry about it very much, and at the same time, get good performance out of it.

Chris

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #4224377 - 12/02/10 08:40 PM

Nice review Ed!

Is the focuser metal or plastic? I'm looking for a small wide-field scope that could be used with my Mallincam. The Mallincam needs a metal focuser to help dissipate heat.

Thanks!

Don

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Digital Don]
      #4226298 - 12/03/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

Nice review Ed!

Is the focuser metal or plastic? I'm looking for a small wide-field scope that could be used with my Mallincam. The Mallincam needs a metal focuser to help dissipate heat.

Thanks!

Don

Don, the focuser is plastic, and I would also be concerned about heat buildup. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

Thanks,
Ed D

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #4226481 - 12/03/10 07:26 PM

Thanks Ed, that's what I figured. Still sounds like a bargain though!

Don

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #4231262 - 12/06/10 12:23 AM

This scope, with a 90 degree diagonal, would have made me SOOO happy for so long, it's a darned shame they didn't exist in the 80's and 90's when I was a college kid, or just starting out professionally, and either completely cash strapped or unwilling to make a $100+ investment in astronomical gear. It's portability, quick setup, light weight, and easy storage make it a college student's best night time friend. Okay, second best night time friend. My AT80ED keeps me happy these days, but this sure would have been nice for Hale-Bopp.

Can you write about using it with better eyepieces or a 90 degree diagonal? It would be interesting to hear of your experiences with small upgrades.

Thanks for this insight on such a nice market value.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #4233582 - 12/07/10 05:54 AM

Collin, I'm glad you enjoyed the article and that it got you thinking of your college days. I agree that there are a lot of young people out there with more interest in observing than cash, whose options are limited to something along the lines of the Travel Scope.

Last night I was outside playing with the Travel Scope looking at double stars in Cepheus, and a quick look at a few other targets, including the Orion nebula. I was amazed by the good views the little thing can give, especially when mounted on my construction tripod and mount. I was using my prism star diagonal, Plossl eyepiece and Meade 2x barlow, which are all inexpensive items.

I had been considering doing a follow up article on the Travel Scope and I guess last night was the start of the planning stage. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Ed D

frugalfredy

Reged: 10/06/09

Loc: Vienna VA
      #4257429 - 12/18/10 10:40 PM

Hi Ed,
Enjoyed your review on this scope. I bought just the OTA for this scope for about $35 and outfitted it with a GSO star diagonal and a Stellarvue F1001 red dot finder. I have a Celestron AZ-3 mount that I use it with. For the price, I certainly cannot complain about the scope though I generally agree with your findings especially about the color fringing. I bought the Celestron finder which was a big mistake and I never used it. I like using my Meade 20mm QX70 eyepiece with this scope. After some persistence and a few dark skies in my light-polluted bark yard, I saw a few globular clusters including M3, M15, and M41. I just bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15X70 binos and I want to try them out for comparison. Unfortunately, since I bought the binos, the skies have been uncooperative. Best wishes, Vic S

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #4260045 - 12/20/10 09:24 AM

Ed,

Yes, a follow up would be nice. The AT High Grade Plossls, currently on sale at Astronomics for a scandalously low price, would be nice, since I find the clones of these, the Sterling Plossls, a very good value, indeed. These are logical, inexpensive upgrades for someone on a budget. I wouldn't begrudge you, however, if you mentioned how a Nagler T6 performed in one, though I recognize the unlikelihood of the combo. Perhaps a Meade 5000 UWA/ES 82 degree model is more fiscally appropriate. Regardless, I think these type scopes are the best for beginners. Many people like me can't use binoculars (highly uneven vision in each eye), and besides, anything on a mount is better than hand held, in this price range (provided your mount is up to snuff). But a follow up would be nice. I am NOT in the low-budget reflector crowd, since collimation is not incidental to ownership. How many people change their own oil in their cars, for example? I agree they offer the most optical bang for the buck, but you've got to have the time and patience to deal with it. What percentage of car owners change their own oil in the USA? 3%? 2%? 1%? 0.5%? 0.25%? I would think 4% a bit too high, but I could be wrong. But I think this question is relevant for telescope owners, and many people just want something fast and fun to observe with. This Celestron 70mm is just the ticket and certainly won't break the bank.

Do you happen to know if this can be purchased as an OTA, without the cheapey mount? That would be an even better value for anyone who already owns a sturdy camera/camcorder tripod.

Thanks again, Ed, for enlightening the unwashed masses (and me)

CDS

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #4260226 - 12/20/10 11:08 AM

I just purchased one of these scopes for my cousin, who has an interest in astronomy (along with his wife and children...it's a whole family affair). He's still shopping for a more "serious" scope (perhaps a dob or mak...he's still undecided), so I'm hoping this scope will nudge them along and help get them started observing. When they do upgrade, this will still be a fine scope for his children to use or for travel. (Children are around ages 5 and 8). I wish I had a spare mount to give them, as that seems to be this scopes weakest link. I have an inexpensive Meade mirror diagonal which should be an upgrade over the included one for astro use. Plus a 25mm Plossl, which should make a decent finder ep for them.

I'm actually eager to look throught he thing myself...another telescope is the last thing I need but this may be preferable to the ETX80 for when I'm traveling overseas as it's so light and easy to pack. (The ETX80's tripod is a tad bulky, though still light).

Also, what kind of ep are included? I've read conflicting reports as to whether they are Kellners or Huygens. If it's the former they aren't too bad, if it's the latter I may have to add another ep or two to that 25mm Plossl! (Maybe my Meade 9.7mm...)

Edited by caheaton (12/20/10 12:01 PM)

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: caheaton]
      #4260511 - 12/20/10 02:16 PM

Hi, and thanks for all the positive feedback on the article. I'm almost finished gathering the info I want for a follow-up article on the Travel Scope for astronomy. I will be including my observation results on a variety of double stars, star fields and clusters, and other targets, as well as limited comparison of my diagonals and eyepieces. I'm mainly concentrating on what can be done with the least ammount of investment - 25mm Plossl, 2x barlow and star diagonal. The results surprised even me.

I don't know if the OTA can be purchased separately, but I did see some on eBay not too long ago. Also, I took apart the 10mm eyepiece and they are Kellners. In keeping with the spirit of frugality I used a photo tripod that can be bought new for under $40, although I got mine used for $5.

I will (hopefully) be staying up most of the night observing the lunar eclipse, and the Travel Scope will be set up alongside my Astro Tech. I want to take pictures through the eyepieces using both scopes. I'll post them if they turn out OK.

Ed D

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #4260557 - 12/20/10 02:45 PM

Thank you for the confirmation on the ep design! Seems they aren't too bad then...in line with the cost of the scope and likely on par with the Meade MA's. I'll probably go ahead and give my cousin the Meade 9.7mm and Sky Watcher 25mm plossls however, just to be sure he has a couple of good planetary ep.
Craig

Evaristvs

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: 9° 39' N, 68° 36' W
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: caheaton]
      #4775928 - 08/29/11 02:08 PM

Anyone has attached a DSRL to this scope?

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Evaristvs]
      #4785101 - 09/02/11 06:56 PM Attachment (370 downloads)

Not a DSLR, but I use my pocket camera with an adapter made out of scrap aluminum tube. I would opt for a more substantial scope and mount for a DSLR.

Ed D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12113

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics