Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)
skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: Jwemes]
      #4924335 - 11/19/11 01:11 PM

Ill be leaving at 3 from Phoenix and going to the telescope shop. Then heading to the site at 5.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4924640 - 11/19/11 04:20 PM

Looking pretty "iffy" right now with that cirrostratus layer that can't seem to make up its mind what it wants to do!

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4924644 - 11/19/11 04:26 PM

Looks like I'm gonna pass. When I do you guys have clear skies. I have my "new" 127mm Surplus Shed scope so there is that curse you know.

Cloud cover animations seem to indicate things will not get any better.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #4924708 - 11/19/11 05:15 PM

I'm with you, Ron; I think I'm gonna can it, too. Maybe we can meet next Saturday at the grand opening of Telescope Ranch next Saturday.

rboeAdministrator

#4924742 - 11/19/11 05:42 PM

I might just be game for that. Hopefully my "new" mount will be in so I can test it with the 127 in dark skies. I'd like to see how she performs at a dark sky site.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4924787 - 11/19/11 06:11 PM

There is a small group of us going to Sofie's Flat next Saturday night as well.

rboeAdministrator

#4925060 - 11/19/11 09:14 PM

What are the hours of the new shop?

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4926128 - 11/20/11 01:07 PM

This Saturday the hours are 11am to 9pm. Solar viewing through out the day. Then there will be a small group at Sofie's flat at 6u or so.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4926656 - 11/20/11 06:27 PM

For those of you who didnt come out last night we actually had a good time. We did have clouds but we were still able to observe through some holes, it did eventually break apart as well. We had about eight people all together including all the astronomers. It was a fun night of just casual viewing and talking. We did manage to see comet Garradd through my 16" and Brian DeWells (owner of Telescope Ranch) brought out his new Meade 102ED, a pretty nice scope considering how old it is.

The next star party is Dec. 17th.

rboeAdministrator

#4926804 - 11/20/11 07:56 PM

I got in some viewing after 10PM in the backyard. Some clouds, but M42 and Jupiter were in the clear.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4927793 - 11/21/11 12:57 PM

Quote:

This Saturday the hours are 11am to 9pm. Solar viewing through out the day. Then there will be a small group at Sofie's flat at 6u or so.

Sounds like a plan! I could have lunch in Wickenburg, check out the grand opening, meet some of you there, maybe go take a hike, have dinner and then meet you again out at Sophie's Flat.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4935214 - 11/26/11 03:29 AM

I will be heading out at 10am for Telescope Ranch's grand opening, doors open at 11am. Solar viewing outside most of the day. Stop by and say hi, then at I will be out at Sofie's Flat for some viewing. We should have 16" and 18" dobs out tomorrow night plus some other stuff.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4935505 - 11/26/11 10:25 AM

Looking forward to seeing you out there!

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937083 - 11/27/11 10:20 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Well last night was excellent, the seeing went bad around 9pm which was strange as it was all the sudden.

Its amazing how a small get together of 3 friends for Thanksgiving weekend turned into a miniature star party with about 12 people and about 10 telescopes! 18" dob, two 16" dobs, one 11" SCT, three 10" dobs, a C-8 Edge HD a few binoculars and a tiny TeleVue Pronto. Probably the largest gather so far at the Sofie's Flat site outside of Wickenburg.

The day started out at Telescope Ranch, Brian DeWells' new shop in down town Wickenburg. This weekend was the grand opening and we were busy for the little shop. Through out the day we had solar viewing in the court yard with the Lunt LS100THa and Double Stacked PST. The sun was quite active so it gave passers by something to look at. Many people popped in the shop seeing what was there. Two actually bought their first scope. We hope to see them at our dark sky site sometime soon. As the day went on I spoke to Don, the husband of the women who owns the Pottery shop, he had a 10" dob and was looking to get more into the hobby. Showed him some of the eyepieces I use and what to look for as far as equipment.

As the day got began to fade we packed up the solar scopes and we all dispersed to get food before night fall. We headed up to the site to find Jerry Hyman and his wife set up from the night before. Jerry has had an amazing 10" f/5 primary await its first light for some time, its an amazing 7/10th of inch thick! Jerry could wait no longer and modified "Jerry-rigged" a very nice cell to his Skywatcher 10" dob in order to enjoy it for the first time.

As we waited for darkness the scopes began to come out. Ron Boe brought out his C-11 Nexstar GPS and a brand new Surplus shed 127 f/9 Achro. refractor, it was actually quite a nice scope with fairly clean images! Jerry and his wife began aligning their 8" Edge HD for the night. Walt Thomas of Wickenburg set up his beautiful 10" home made dob, Dennis Casper with his home made 16" dob, Don and his wife with their Orion 10" dob, Jim and Vicki Palmer with their 18" Obsession and myself with my 16" dob. We also had Roy MoCoy out but forgot his tripod and Brian DeWells came out with his tiny TeleVue Pronto. Jim (HM insulators) viewed with his binoculars through out the evening as well.

As the night came we viewed the moon and Venus as well as Jupiter. The 18" Obsession was trained onto Comet Garradd before it set into the western horizon. I didnt do much viewing with my 16", I spent most of the evening enjoying the company. I saw Y-Casseopia for the first time, a beautiful crimson and pale blue double star. Also viewed the Perseus galaxy cluster in Dennis' 16", I should give that a try sometime in my 16". I spent sometime with Don showing them some easy objects for their 10" dob and then let him try out my 31 Nagler, he got a kick out of that and will probably have one to start his eyepiece upgrades in the not so distant future. It actually provided a very impressive view in the 10", I really should try it more often in my own 10". I spent a little time on my 16", I viewed M57, M31 which was quite impressive in the early evening, M15 which was also nice, it was a large expanse of stars!

The night quickly lost its seeing so we all sat back and talked for the remainder of the evening. I managed to show Jerry Hyman and some others a new object, Mirach's Ghost or NGC 404 which is small irregular galaxy located about 7-arc minutes from Mirach. The galaxy is about 10-million light years away and can be a fun target in medium and large aperture scopes.

Around 10 the majority of us broke down and talked till 11pm and finally headed home for the evening.

I look forward to our next get together next month, I will probably miss the December 17th even as I will be coming home from California. I have some pictures of this evening as well.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937086 - 11/27/11 10:21 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937092 - 11/27/11 10:23 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Jerry's 7/10th of inch Quartz 10" f/5 Primary!

Edited by skyward_eyes (11/27/11 10:24 AM)

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937095 - 11/27/11 10:24 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Ron's new 127mm f/9ish Surplus Shed Achro. refractor

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937099 - 11/27/11 10:26 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

The field from Ron's spot.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4937101 - 11/27/11 10:28 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

The beginning of the row of dobs. You can see my 16" followed by Jim and Vicki's 18" as Jim and Dennis talk about the scope.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4937104 - 11/27/11 10:31 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Dennis Casper's 16" dob. If you ever get a chance to see his 18" f/8 I suggest you look through it and most importantly, at it!

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32192

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics