Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Jwemes

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Wickenburg, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #4427811 - 03/05/11 11:59 AM

Here's the mid-morning report: Winds are calm. Current Temp 72F No cloud cover, but relatively high humidity has given us a very dilute milkiness (sp) to the sky. Low temp this morning was 51F.

Hope to see you all there!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: Jwemes]
      #4428632 - 03/05/11 06:26 PM

Meh, got glue drying so I'm stay put to unclamp things when done. Skies don't look real encouraging either. You guys have fun!

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #4429817 - 03/06/11 10:36 AM

We missed ya Ron, you were there in our thoughts

In typical fashion the clouds cleared out just before nightfall and we had a pretty decent evening of observing. Our spectators cleared out pretty fast, the cold always gets 'em. One young guy (Brandon) from a nearby guest ranch stuck around to the end, he seemed pretty eager to gobble up as much information as possible.

Great views through Kevin's scope (Thor's Helmet was very cool) and I was wowed by Sky Safari on his iPad. My wife's iPad might mysteriously disappear

John & John, thanks again for a fine evening and your good hospitality, hopefully we'll see you 4/2 for a mini-Messier Marathon.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
      #4429818 - 03/06/11 10:36 AM

Last night turned out to be an excellent evening! It looked a bit iffy with all the high clouds in the early evening then cleared into a beautiful blue sky.

I ended up not bring out the Lunt LS100 solar scope due to the high clouds, one less thing to worry about later that night.

We had about eight people out last night plus six astronomers and five scopes. ST-80, LX200 10", C-9.25, C-11 and then my 16" Truss dob. All the scopes showed impressive views.

I spent most of the night trying out my new Explore Scientific 20mm and 9mm 100 degree EPs that proved to be very impressive in the 16". The view of M42 with the 20mm was just awesome, a massive field for a 20mm. Putting in the 9mm I zoomed in on the Trap. resolving 6 stars. The seeing was good but not excellent.

After M42 I started out with some stuff I've been meaning to observe for a while. First on the list was Thor's Helmet, I always put it on a list and then never get around to it so I made a point to this time! With the 20mm the nebula was barely visible in the 16", but with the addition of the OIII the nebula and structure became easily visible. The curved head cap and horns could easily be seen, it was an impressive sight and a better view then I thought Id get.

After Thor's Helmet I hopped over to the Horsehead to give it a try, with the addition of the H-Beta it was just barely visible, I've seen it easily visible in the 16" before so the seeing was not good for this object for the night. After the Horse John H. had me swing over to a very nice edge on galaxy in Lynx. It reminded me of NGC7331 but not as detailed. The galaxy was easily seen at 90x but the view was very good at 203x.

As the night progessed I played around with a few favorites, Leo Triplet, M81 and M82, M51 and M101. The M81 and M82 were impressive as they were high enough out of the muck. The others were a bit low and in the light of Phoenix.

M46 was a sight, the planetary nebula popped right out without any filter.

The Eskimo was also impressive at 200x, I wish I would have tried some higher power though.

As the night started closing in on 10pm many of us became board, so we all attempted on splitting Sirius and the Pup. I've done this with the 16" several times but no luck on this night, even at 456x.

I caught a glimpse of Saturn just rising in the C-9.25, not bad for where is was at the time. The rings could be seen as well as Titan.

Over all it was a fun night, I need to make it out more often as it really is a great group out there and good skies being out 45mins from home.

Thanks for a fun time everyone.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4435036 - 03/08/11 02:24 PM

Enjoyed the evening! I saw the zodiacal light for the first time; I never realized it was so bright!

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4438551 - 03/09/11 09:21 PM

Just a reminder, that the next Wickenburg Public Star Party will be April 2. Lunar illumination will be only 0.8%. Although we have no desire to take away from the Arizona Messier Marathon at the Antenna site, anyone interested in doing the MM from Wickenburg is more than welcome. The site is administered by BLM, so there are no fees for camping, and no permits are required.

Anyone interested, who would like directions, please let us know, and we'll repost.
BTW.. Kevin has some fab optics in that 16" dob. Thors' Helmet was spectacular.
As usual, look for a mid-morning conditions report on Sat. morning.

BTW, the Sophie's Flat site is only 3.5 miles from downtown Wickenburg, where one can find motels, markets, restaurants, and...ice cream.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4439328 - 03/10/11 08:37 AM

So far David and I plan on being there, I'll sack out on the portable hammock and he'll curl up in the back of the car.

John, what's the best place for breakfast in downtown Wickenburg on Sunday morning?

Jwemes

#4450168 - 03/14/11 09:05 PM

Hi Scott,
You know that I won't lie, but you asked for my opinion...
Country Kitchen is easily reached from Constellation road, and the breakfasts are okay. Sunday morning after about 9AM, you'll think that you've invaded a retirement home 'cause of the over 65 crowd. Anita's is downtown, and a favorite based on longevity. Not my fave. There is a Denny's North on Tegner, but Denny's is Denny's. West of Downtown on US 60 is El Ranchero. If you can do a Hispanic Breakfast, I'd vote for El Ranchero. The secret bottom line (you and David only) can be disclosed on Saturday night!
Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4451115 - 03/15/11 09:13 AM

I'd definitely be up for Hispanic, hopefully Ron will too, but I'll wait to hear what the bottom line is

rboeAdministrator

#4452758 - 03/15/11 11:44 PM

I like good breakfast burrito's; or Denny's breakfasts.

Country Kitchen is not as good as it used to be. Or my tastes have changed.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4453218 - 03/16/11 09:07 AM

I'm just trying to figure out what the Hispanic version of biscuits & gravy is.....tortillas & enchilada sauce, or sopapillas & hot salsa

rboeAdministrator

#4453827 - 03/16/11 02:11 PM

Anita's was OK so I'm game to try something different. It's my understanding those are the only two South of the Border eateries in town.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4456717 - 03/17/11 08:48 PM

I might be out there that Saturday night.

Edited by hm insulators (03/17/11 08:49 PM)

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4480376 - 03/28/11 06:31 PM

I drove out there yesterday; just not quite as far as the site (didn't read the directions before I left; a spur of the moment trip) and the road was in great shape.

Jwemes

#4480495 - 03/28/11 07:39 PM

We're on for Saturday night! If anyone wants to make it a 2-nighter, that's fine, as Sophies' Flat is BLM, and BLM camping rules apply.

As usual, look for a midmorning climate update on Saturday. At this time, NOAA says 'partly cloudy', and is talking about a trough moving through on Sunday. We'll just have to wait and see. They usually change their collective minds. Nightime temps should be 50-60, and Daytime temps should be 80's.

Snakes and Scorps are out, so wear appropriate footgear.

Anyone needing directions, just request, and we'll repost.
See you there!

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
      #4480597 - 03/28/11 08:31 PM

wont be there but hope you guys have fun.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4481787 - 03/29/11 10:25 AM

The temps sound great, we'll be there for the night and keep our fingers crossed for clear skies.

Jwemes

#4491287 - 04/02/11 12:12 PM

Here's the mid morning report: Air Temp 82 Percentage of cloud cover 45% No wind.

However, Clear Sky Charts and NOAA Phoenix are indicating that conditions will deteriorate throughout the day. Cloud cover and wind are expected to increase.

Unless we are completely socked in by 5PM, I'll still be out, in case anyone shows. Of course, we still might get lucky!

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4491413 - 04/02/11 01:02 PM

Hmmmm, I'm going to check back here around 1:30 and see what the general consensus is before I pack. I enjoy the drive, scenery, and especially the company but it's a lot of packing to do just to sleep overnight in the back of the car!

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #4491526 - 04/02/11 01:56 PM

I'll probably make a final decision about three o'clock as to whether or not I want to make the drive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30224

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics