Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Jwemes

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Wickenburg, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4507457 - 04/09/11 04:56 PM

The current cloud cover is 100%. Temp 54F Wind is SE at 2.
Despite the fact that the rain seems to have moved to the east, there are still wet-looking clouds to the west. Forecast clearing is questionable.

April 30 and May 7 should both be better nights.

Edited by Jwemes (04/09/11 04:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: Jwemes]
      #4526059 - 04/18/11 10:45 AM

April 30th is over booked for me, so I'm shooting for the 7th. With the monsoons (and really wacky weather this year) June is iffy so May is it for me.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #4526110 - 04/18/11 11:15 AM

Im might possibly be able to do April 30th. I have to check what I have going on though. May 7th is National Astronomy Day so I will be at the Challenger Space Center all day helping with astronomy programs and events then stargazing for the public at night.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #4528547 - 04/19/11 09:27 AM

May 7th is looking like my best shot but I'll be traveling solo, don't have custody of the kids that weekend. I might even travel real light, take the motorcycle there with some binos or something.

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #4531605 - 04/20/11 01:14 PM

I've been tempted but the NS11 needs some use for a change.

Jwemes

#4535327 - 04/21/11 08:43 PM

We've set May7 as the date for the public outreach star party, but the site is available to anyone at any time. Kevin, let us know if you are going to be up for Apr 30. Otherwise, we'll look for a big public turnout for Nat'l Astronomy Day on May 7. At this point, daytime highs are ~90F. If we could eliminaate the clouds, things would be FAB!

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#4545746 - 04/26/11 03:13 PM

Bump for pwatcher.

pwatcher

Reged: 04/22/11

Loc: arizona
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4545893 - 04/26/11 04:17 PM

I'm a "maybe" for this, depending on how much of recently ordered gear has arrived in time to get somewhat familiar with it. I have a thread over in the Beginners Forum describing my re-entry into this hobby!

I live in Ahwatukee, so will need to look up the driving directions to your location. It's ok to send me an email as well if you wish.

thanks!

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: pwatcher]
      #4546109 - 04/26/11 06:04 PM

I'm thinking it would be faster for you to head up 17 to Carefree Highway, take that west till it hits 60. Just past the Dunkin Donuts and before McDonalds (the road is making a sweeping left hand turn into the old downtown) you'll see El Recreo Drive, it turns onto Constellation Road about a quarter mile in.

Follow that out a mile or so to Blue Tank Road on the left. Another half mile and you're there. Better directions are at the start of this thread somewhere.

But if you preview those instuctions above using google maps you'll be fine. I didn't have not actually gone down Blue Tank far enough to see the sight. I do know it seems like you travel five miles when in fact it is much shorter than that.

Jwemes

#4546171 - 04/26/11 06:50 PM

Hi Paul,
Don't worry about the new toys that arrive in time, just show up. The May 7 event is a public outreach, which just happens to coincide with the 'National Astronomy Day'. There will be a couple of scopes besides what you bring, and the overriding point is that YOU, enjoy yourself.
We never know how many of the public may show, and you're invited to check out the site, and enjoy the night sky.

Look for a mid-morning update of local weather conditions on Saturday. Plan to arrive before sunset, to check out the scenery, and set up, look for the signs to assist in directions, and most of all, we'll see you there!

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4547308 - 04/27/11 09:25 AM

Hope you can make it Paul, it's always nice to meet somebody new.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4549827 - 04/28/11 02:25 PM

Love to see you out there; don't worry if your new scope doesn't arrive "in time." I don't even own a telescope but I do bring binoculars out there.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4565930 - 05/06/11 06:01 PM

Just a reminder, Wickenburg Public Star Party, tomorrow, May 7. You're welcome with or without a telescope. The sky will be dark enough to align those lousy GEMs by 7:50 or so, local time. Moon will be ~20% illuminated, and not set until ~11:30 PM.

Current forecasts are for daytime highs to 99 and lows down to 50. Skies should be clear, with ~10 mph breezes.

The crawling creatures are out, so please wear appropriate footgear, and be aware. Sophie's Flat is the location. Just ask, and we'll repost directions.

Look for an update--midmorning tomorrow.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4566433 - 05/06/11 11:31 PM

I'm looking forward to it! Tomorrow morning, I'm driving up to Williams for "Train Days" and I'll be hitting Wickenburg on the way back.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4566692 - 05/07/11 04:40 AM

Should be an awesome night, hope you guys have fun!

Jwemes

#4567395 - 05/07/11 01:22 PM

Here's the midmorning report:
Cloud cover....0%
Air Temp.......90 degrees
Wind........... light..0 to 5 mph
It looks to be a nice night for observing in the low desert!

Hope to you you there!

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

#4567645 - 05/07/11 03:41 PM

Got the ST80 & binos strapped to the motorcycle and should be there by 6:00 at the latest. Look forward to seeing everyone!

rboeAdministrator

#4569604 - 05/08/11 02:38 PM

If the public keeps showing the interest like they did last night we may have to get a bit more organized; with perhaps a focus for the evening, a list of pre-selected targets with information displayed on a red light laptop; or maybe a large sheet of paper and a tripod like you see at meetings.

Then assign targets to the different scopes and rotate among a list every 20-30 minutes so the group can mingle through the scopes and get a great mix of objects.

After seeing them line up their chairs we could get a short talk up of the nights focus; what will be available in the scopes and suggest a pattern to use when walking through - e.g. clockwise or something.

I was very impressed with the size of the crowd that showed up that decided to drive two miles into the desert. For folks that show up with scopes and willing to coordinate with you for a more structured out reach I think we have some potential here.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: rboe]
      #4569738 - 05/08/11 03:39 PM

When ever I do an event for the public every scope is on a different target. The astronomer is usually the one picking their targets but no one is assigned. Once the group has seen the object a last call is given and then the astronomer picks another target.

Before the viewig gets started a talk is usually given with a basic presentation that describes the current seasons constellations, the easy to see objects and maybe describing some up and coing events. The group is then given a short lesson on star party and telescope safety such as red lifts only, keep flash lights pointed down, do not grab the telescope for any reason and hold onto the white step ladders.

We could has talks given at each event but it would have to be something geared to the public.

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4570016 - 05/08/11 06:12 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

looking towards the sunset hm insulators is checking out the sky already.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32182

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics