Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
Master846

Reged: 12/16/10

Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new
      #4255697 - 12/18/10 03:20 AM

Hi, I have some questions, I'm relatively new in the astronomy, I have a Celestron Omni 6" Xlt and I have enjoyed many hours of observation, but I want to improve and I'm considering buying a secondhand Meade 8" LX90 Emc by US$800, does it worth it?, I'm buying it in a good price?. Any other advice? Thanks for your help
P.S. Sorry if my english isn't good, but I am not from the U.S.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/03/06

Loc: North-Central Pa.
Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: Master846]
      #4255897 - 12/18/10 09:13 AM

It depends on what all comes with the LX90, and the condition of it. The forks on the LX90 are not as beefy as the LX200 so you can expect it to easily have "the shakes" any time you touch it. That can become frustrating at times so a motorized focuser is a must-have accessory.

roverich

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: East coaster
Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: Skywatchr]
      #4256348 - 12/18/10 01:17 PM

As far as a price for a used scope goes , Skywatchers advice is spot on ..And you can also use telescope blue book .com for a referance to prices but it is out dated ..

Master846

Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: roverich]
      #4256923 - 12/18/10 05:46 PM

Thanks for the answers, according to the seller the telescope is in good condition, was purchased in 2001 and has been used less than 40 nights, has telrad instead of original finderscope, he sells the telescope with the diagonal prism, Meade Series 4000 26mm eyepiece, AC (house) and DC 12 volt (car) power cords, original instruction manual, heavy duty tripod, all packaged in the original boxes, shipping fee will be $75 and No scratches or
stains on any of the interior parts such as the mirror or the corrector plate and Motors are working fine.

cohort
journeyman

Reged: 01/16/09

Loc: N. Arizona
      #4257353 - 12/18/10 09:45 PM

I'll offer this for reference, not trying to sell my scope to you, as I will try to sell locally. I have an 8" LX200 EMC in very good condition. Will offer it with the original manual, 26mm eyepiece, diagonal,telrad and original finder scope, ac power supply, standard Meade wedge, original tripod, 6.3 focal reducer ( somehow aquired 3),Nikon T-adapter, and Meade soft carry case with foam. Going to advertise for face-to-face sale for $1000 and hope to get $900.

I love the scope but promised the wife if she bought me the LX200 10" GPS I would sell the 8". She got me the 10" with a pier, super wedge,a Celestron 102 F5 as a guide scope, 2 DSI pros, a DSI 2 pro, several eyepieces, etc. etc.

Edited by cohort (12/18/10 09:50 PM)

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#4257926 - 12/19/10 08:51 AM

Well, for me personally, I would pass on it. Or negotiate to maybe $500 at the most. There is nothing that comes with it to make it worth any more being it is a shaky LX90.
With that said, Cohort also is asking too much for a CLASSIC LX200. No offense Cohort but I have seen 8" GPS models for less with the electronics still in production. The Classic is out of production and Meade cannot supply any parts for them.

Quote:

Thanks for the answers, according to the seller the telescope is in good condition, was purchased in 2001 and has been used less than 40 nights, has telrad instead of original finderscope, he sells the telescope with the diagonal prism, Meade Series 4000 26mm eyepiece, AC (house) and DC 12 volt (car) power cords, original instruction manual, heavy duty tripod, all packaged in the original boxes, shipping fee will be $75 and No scratches or
stains on any of the interior parts such as the mirror or the corrector plate and Motors are working fine.

cohort
journeyman

Reged: 01/16/09

Loc: N. Arizona
      #4258104 - 12/19/10 10:39 AM

No offense taken Skywatchr, as I don't really disagree with you. Realistically, I expect to sell the focal reducer and wedge seperately then sell the basic LX200 setup with softcase for less than $800. I would be interested in your opinion as to the market value of my scope.

George D
Vendor

Reged: 04/13/10

Loc: So Cal
Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: cohort]
      #4259810 - 12/20/10 03:40 AM

I'll just chime in here and say that Skywatchr is right on the money. But it wouldn't hurt either of us for you to mention that the Classic you're selling can be upgraded to use the same controls that a new LX90 uses, and be a lot better scope in the end ;-)

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#4259857 - 12/20/10 06:28 AM

The Classic basic setup, with EMC coatings, is worth around $600. Bare OTA about $300. Given the prices of new ACF, and the prices of used GPS models with UHTC coatings. Then add in the cost of shipping if you can't sell it locally. With that said, the Autostar upgrade George makes for the Classic is absolutely wonderful, but it too comes at a price. But it is worth every penny in my opinion. I have 2 of the Autostar upgrades myself.
Used standard wedge about $75, and about the same for the reducer/corrector.

Quote:

No offense taken Skywatchr, as I don't really disagree with you. Realistically, I expect to sell the focal reducer and wedge seperately then sell the basic LX200 setup with softcase for less than $800. I would be interested in your opinion as to the market value of my scope.

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

#4259858 - 12/20/10 06:31 AM

You have a wonderful wife!

Quote:

I love the scope but promised the wife if she bought me the LX200 10" GPS I would sell the 8". She got me the 10" with a pier, super wedge,a Celestron 102 F5 as a guide scope, 2 DSI pros, a DSI 2 pro, several eyepieces, etc. etc.

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: George D]
      #4259859 - 12/20/10 06:33 AM

Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:

I'll just chime in here and say that Skywatchr is right on the money. But it wouldn't hurt either of us for you to mention that the Classic you're selling can be upgraded to use the same controls that a new LX90 uses, and be a lot better scope in the end ;-)

Master846

#4260911 - 12/20/10 06:25 PM

They offered me a Meade 8" lx90 UHTC with accessories like nebula filter, erecting prism, 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, 2x barlow, vibration isolation pads, ac adapter, Meade #2 filter set for $850 plus $50 for shipping, what do you think? It is a godo price? Thanks

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

#4260987 - 12/20/10 07:05 PM

The question is do you think this is a fair price?

If you shop around long enough, you will always find a lower price eventually, but that consumes time that could be better enjoyed observing. How much is that time worth? Find something you will be comfortable with, and jump, and never look back!!

Good Luck

Skywatchr
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? [Re: Master846]
      #4261160 - 12/20/10 08:34 PM

Well still not really worth it. The barlow and erecting prism you will not use, and the zoom will get old real quick. If they were to toss in a few decent eyepieces like 10mm, 20mm, and 32mm Plossls, I would say yes.

Quote:

They offered me a Meade 8" lx90 UHTC with accessories like nebula filter, erecting prism, 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, 2x barlow, vibration isolation pads, ac adapter, Meade #2 filter set for $850 plus $50 for shipping, what do you think? It is a godo price? Thanks

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
      #4401724 - 02/21/11 02:26 PM

From what I understand. This is an excellent telescope and used ones are priced very good. $800? I don't know. $500 absolutely!

Jeff B.
journeyman

Reged: 12/02/07

Loc: Lombard, IL
Re: Meade 8" Lx90 EMC Worth it? new [Re: Napersky]
      #4412659 - 02/26/11 11:13 AM

All,

I've owned an LX-90 for about 8 years now. I purchased it brand new in 2003 and have enjoyed it ever since. The only problem I had with mine was a loose Dec Worm Gear, and there is an excellent article on how to fix it written by Dr. Clay at this link (http://www.arksky.org/smf/index.php?topic=1042.0) I used this article to fix mine and it appears that the pointing accuracy is even better now than when it was new!
I do not find it to be 'shaky' at all, although I don't do any long exposure astrophotography through it. I use it primarily for visual observing and with a proper initial alignment, the 'Go To' puts the object I am seeking in the eyepiece 99.999 % of the time! I have built up such trust in it over the years that when I press "Go To" and tell it to find an object, I can tell a fellow astronomer that the object is in the eyepiece and ready to view when I hear the 'beep' without even looking first. It never fails me...
I think $800 for a used LX-90 that is in excellent condition is a real good price!

~Jeff

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5348

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics