Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Only one Dioptrx
      #4280969 - 12/30/10 07:27 PM

I will need to put 2.25 Dioptrx on all my eyepieces. I only have cash for one at this time plus adapters. I have two Pans (35+24)and two Naglers (13+9) What would you put it on first? Or should I just use my glasses with the 24,13 and the 9. How do you deal with astigmatism and shorter eye relief eyepieces.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Todd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/23/04

Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: ischua]
      #4281956 - 12/31/10 08:19 AM

I used only one Dioptrix for a few years. IMO it's easily removed and switched to a different eyepiece.

I now have two (for use on my two most-used eyepieces) but still switch them onto others when needed.

Lt 26
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/19/09

Loc: Northwest Illinois
Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: Todd]
      #4282095 - 12/31/10 09:45 AM

I purchased one for use on my 11mm, 17mm and 35mm. The 11 has an exit pupil of 1mm, the 17 has 2mm and the 35 has 4mm. I found that I only needed it on the 35 with the larger exit pupil. Many don't need them until the exit pupil gets over 2mm. Good luck.

Dereck

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #4282333 - 12/31/10 11:42 AM

Due to the issues you raised, last year I switched out my eyepiece set to include eyepieces with a minimum of 17mm eye relief, and others with 19 and 20mm eye relief so I could do all my viewing while wearing glasses. My glasses also have anti glare coatings to minimize ghost images in the eyepieces. I am very pleased with this arrangement.

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: GeneT]
      #4283938 - 01/01/11 12:36 AM

Thanks for the info As I hate wearing glasses at the eyepiece I'm glad to hear its swaps easily

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #4284465 - 01/01/11 10:56 AM

I also have two to use on my two widest eyepieces. Lately, I've been viewing without them as my astigmatism is only .75 diopters. I also have trouble using them with the Ethos as I can't see the whole FOV without jamming my eye too close to the Dioptrx. I'm just thankful my astigmatism isn't worse than it is. Using the Dioptrx on Naglers or other less than 82º AFOV eyepieces I found you still need at least 17mm eye relief to use them comfortably.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: JimMo]
      #5542081 - 11/27/12 12:58 PM

Reviving an old thread here... Really want to give my 13 Ethos a chance before I have to admit defeat at the hands of 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. A couple questions for those with Ethos + DIOPTRX experience:

1 - Do the DIOPTRX get thicker as the number increases?

2 - If you have to jam your eye into the DIOPTRX, is there any risk of pushing the DIOPTRX lens into contact with the Ethos eyelens?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: Starman81]
      #5542148 - 11/27/12 01:35 PM

Get a 2" and a 1.25" adapter that will take filters and screw it on like a filter? Are you useing a paracorr? Screw it on to the bottom of the Paracorr??? Not certain either method would work, but the first would definitly take care of the situation and you would not need any more then the 2 you already have.

astrogaffer
journeyman

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canad...
      #5542740 - 11/27/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Reviving an old thread here... Really want to give my 13 Ethos a chance before I have to admit defeat at the hands of 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. A couple questions for those with Ethos + DIOPTRX experience:

2 - If you have to jam your eye into the DIOPTRX, is there any risk of pushing the DIOPTRX lens into contact with the Ethos eyelens?

I have the Ethos 13 and also have a marked astigmatism at 2.25. I use the dioptrix on the 13 Ethos. It does not jam down onto the lens of the eyepiece. I find the eye relief just comfortable enough although I find that I have to get my eyebrow lightly to the rubber eye guard. I do not see that the dioptrix gets any thicker as the number increases.

I really enjoy the dioptrix and appreciate how well it works on cleaning up the image. In fact, I am now considering in acquiring one or two more for my 19 and 24 Pans with adapters. I think you would really appreciate your 13 ethos with the dioptric attached.

Good luck with your decision!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: JimMo]
      #5542772 - 11/27/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

I also have two to use on my two widest eyepieces. Lately, I've been viewing without them as my astigmatism is only .75 diopters. I also have trouble using them with the Ethos as I can't see the whole FOV without jamming my eye too close to the Dioptrx. I'm just thankful my astigmatism isn't worse than it is. Using the Dioptrx on Naglers or other less than 82º AFOV eyepieces I found you still need at least 17mm eye relief to use them comfortably.

Jim, My astigmatism is .50 to .75 diopters, and I have considered ordering one 0.75. Sad to heare it may lose 100 AFOV benefit of ethos. Unsure if it could work on ES20 100 AFOV? Makes sense greatest benefit would be on wider exit pupils and 82 or smaller AFOV, with adequate eye relief.

Ken

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5542797 - 11/27/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Unsure if it could work on ES20 100 AFOV? Makes sense greatest benefit would be on wider exit pupils and 82 or smaller AFOV, with adequate eye relief.

Ken

I used a .50 Dioptrx on my ES 100° 20mm for a while and decided it wasn't worth it for me. It was hard to get the view I had paid for. A couple of the right sized o-rings around the eye cup channel created just enough friction for the Dioptrx to fit snugly and stay there. I finally took it off and dealt with my minor astigmatism.

More severe cases would warrant another decision.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Only one Dioptrx new [Re: astrogaffer]
      #5543585 - 11/28/12 10:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the Ethos 13 and also have a marked astigmatism at 2.25. I use the dioptrix on the 13 Ethos. It does not jam down onto the lens of the eyepiece. I find the eye relief just comfortable enough although I find that I have to get my eyebrow lightly to the rubber eye guard. I do not see that the dioptrix gets any thicker as the number increases.

I really enjoy the dioptrix and appreciate how well it works on cleaning up the image. In fact, I am now considering in acquiring one or two more for my 19 and 24 Pans with adapters. I think you would really appreciate your 13 ethos with the dioptric attached.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks astrogaffer for your input! You have renewed my hopes for Ethos + DIOPTRX.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5576650 - 12/17/12 11:59 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

The DIOPTRX finally came in and I am excited to get a chance to finally try it out! So far, in indoor testing, I can get close enough and see the entire FOV without too much trouble.

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 867

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics