Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging
      #4323208 - 01/18/11 04:10 PM

CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging

By Robert Brewington

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve Walters

Reged: 09/16/10

Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #4323705 - 01/18/11 07:53 PM

Some of what you show in these comparison images may well be differences in the screen stretching algorithms in the two products. They both automatically stretch the image and they use different criteria for setting the parameters. I don't think you can judge the two products based on looking at the images, you need to actually analyze them numerically. Maybe you did that but it's not apparent in your article.

That said, I prefer CCDSoft for other reasons, namely it stops when I stay stop whereas MaxIm can get lost in it's own little world. Also CCDSoft is a "lighter" program and with software, "less is more" as they say. Since I only use it for data collection, I have no interest in the other capabilities such as MaxIm boasts. This is especially true of MaxIm 5.x.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: Steve Walters]
      #4324959 - 01/19/11 11:44 AM

I was also going to say watch out for auto screen stretching differences as well.

But another cause of difference might be whether the camera has an amplifier and one of the programs is turning the amp off and the other is leaving it on. Just a guess??

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: John Miele]
      #4326268 - 01/19/11 09:42 PM

Fascinating.

I wonder what would happen if somebody went from Maxim DL to CCD Soft?

Is there something in Maxim that you haven't learned to do yet that makes a difference?

Is your gain in one system the same as the other?

I just have never thought that there would be a difference in the data between the two pieces of software.

Alex

RWFAPEX

Reged: 12/04/07

Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #4338365 - 01/25/11 12:42 AM

I just got an SBIG ST-2000XM with the TC-237 guide chip. I use Maxim DL 5.09 as well and haven't seen this issue. I suspect the screen stretching is a bit different as well as your settings under the Camera Options tab. Also, run your cursor over the images and note the counts (ADU values) and the Bitmap values. If the values are more than a few percent off then the software settings for the Gain and Download Order may differ. If the value are within a few percent then my guess would be screen stretching differences b/w the software packages. Make sure you use a LB or other stable emission source for this test.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: RWFAPEX]
      #4345388 - 01/28/11 12:11 AM

I'm a CCDsoft user that has never used Maxim DL, but what I see in this review are what appear to be identical images that have been stretched differently. At the very least we need to see some histograms.

Robert, I'd be very much interested in seeing an ACP review. I've viewed all of Bob Denny's well crafted videos, but that's still not enough for me.

Stevous
sage

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: CCDSoft versus MaximDL Imaging new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5179769 - 04/19/12 06:36 AM

It's always interesting to see these kind of comparisons, but I'm not sure there is an issue. It could be that Maxim is reading it's own FITs differently, displaying the range of the image more aggressively to show the variation in adu across the image.

The comparison of features would have been good in the review. I tried CCDSoft, thinking it lacked a lot of features Maxim had. I know that once you combine TheSkyX, CCDSoft catches up somewhat. But features like click on a spot in your image to slew your scope there is great in Maxim. Built in plate solving is very handy, posting of Dec an Ra info into the images Fits header is nice, the making of capture sequences is easy and that you can save them for another object (like one with a high dynamic range), and much more.

I'd love to know more about CCDSoft, like that nifty fact you can bin at 9x9 for my SBIG, whilst with Maxim, 4x4 is the max option. What great things are there in CCDSoft that one may not see in a quick look through (only CCDSoft, not including other SB software).

Can someone give some pointers? if anyone wants to compare images from each further, please make sure to compare them in CCDStack, or some other processing software, not Maxim, nor CCDSoft.

Thank you,

Steve

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4465

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics