Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro new
      #4347027 - 01/28/11 05:40 PM

With my Meade 8SCT, Finderscope, 80mm Orion ST-80 guidescope, DMK webcam, ATIK 313E, Orion manual filter wheel, and either a 3.3 or 6.3 focal reducer, everything clocks in at just over 20 lbs. However with the two 5.1 kg supplied weights, I have to remove the Meade finderscope to get balance. These counterweights are right at the end of the shaft. So I have acquired another 5.1 Kg weight. Now there are 3 on the shaft.

These weights are now shifted up to about the middle of the shaft and I think that relieves pressure at the end. My next concern is if this would place any strain on the motors. It appears not. I have put my ear to the mount and cannot hear anything abnormal. The next was a slew at 8X and again, everything runs quiet.

Im only using this configuration for imaging with the SCT My SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pros specifications state a maximum payload of 30 lbs and when observing, 2 weights are adequate. Its not as if Im going to go off slewing 90% of my imaging evening. Ill be more or less confined to one particular object/area.

Any comments on whether the adding of an additional weight will damage the drives would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Randy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro new [Re: RandallK]
      #4347177 - 01/28/11 06:56 PM

As long as it's balanced correctly you should be fine.

neptun2
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/07

Loc: Bulgaria
Re: Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4350649 - 01/30/11 01:24 PM

I have HEQ5 Pro mount and i have used even 4 counterweights without problem. When i put my skywatcher 8" f5 newtonian with 80mm f5 refractor piggybacked on it and add the nikon d5000 and meade dsi 2 pro as guide camera i need to use 3x5kg + 1x3.5kg counterweights to get balanced. I have used this combination without any problems putting load of around 12kg while the mount itself is rated as 13.5 to 14kg max. This did not impose any damage to the mount. Of course it makes autoguiding a little bit difficult but mechanically i have not seen any problems with the mount itself handling it.

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro new [Re: neptun2]
      #4350665 - 01/30/11 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info. My max payload will be 9.5Kg/21 lbs.
Why does this make it difficult for autoguiding? I use PHD and ASCOM.

neptun2
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/07

Loc: Bulgaria
Re: Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro new [Re: RandallK]
      #4350771 - 01/30/11 02:29 PM

Well with 9.5kg you should not have problems with guiding.My setup is muche heavier and much more close to the max payload rated by the manufacturer. Also up to now i did not have the time to make more tests. When i had the problems with autoguiding i examined the mount carefully on the next morning and found loosen screw which may cause this. next time it will become clear if this caused the problems or not.

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Adding a 3rd weight to HEQ5-Pro [Re: neptun2]
      #4351134 - 01/30/11 05:09 PM

OK Thanks very much for your info. Clear skies to you!
Randy

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics