Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
AFN
journeyman

Reged: 10/31/07

MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? new
      #4345928 - 01/28/11 10:10 AM

I was thinking that I have always loved a ball mount for photography, and wondered if anyone has found a suitable tripod and ball head combo for a midsized MCT? I have an new MCT (6", 13lbs)on the way that needs a mount. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bykhed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/07

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? new [Re: AFN]
      #4346461 - 01/28/11 01:39 PM

You could give it a try, but any fairly heavy scope mounted upright on an alt-az will have balance issues as it is tipped. This is why alt-az mounts have the scope sideways or in a fork (like the Televue mounts) to center the weight on the point of rotation. The UA Macrostar would be a good lightweight alternative.

-Matt

TONGKW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/16/07

Re: MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? new [Re: AFN]
      #4347425 - 01/28/11 09:00 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

In my experience, a ball mount/ball head is not suitable for mounting a 6” MCT of 13 lb for astronomical observation because it would be difficult to position and track the sky object at middle to high magnifications.
If you prefer to use photo equipment, then I consider a Manfrotto 405 gear head to be quite suitable though nowadays it is very costly. The picture below shows a C8 (12.5 lb) on a Manfrotto gear head and a Gitzo 1415 photo tripod.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

williamichang

Reged: 02/13/06

Loc: Beijing, China
Re: MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? new [Re: TONGKW]
      #4347466 - 01/28/11 09:38 PM

Using a ballhead you can also mount the scope side-saddle, the "lip" of the ballhead casing supporting the ball stalk, so to speak, acting as altitude bearing.

This has worked well for me a couples sizes down but perhaps at a similar weight ratio: 80mm spotter, pretty small ballhead. For smoother altitude motion I wrapped the stalk with plumber's teflon tape.

-- William

(Pentax PF-80EDA, small ballhead, Hakuba CF tripod 6lb total)

AFN
journeyman

Reged: 10/31/07

Re: MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? new [Re: williamichang]
      #4352914 - 01/31/11 12:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback - and the pics. Exactly where i was headed.

Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

Re: MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable? [Re: AFN]
      #4352947 - 01/31/11 12:16 PM

The requirements for a telescope and camera are different. You'd have to work to track an object at any kind of magnification with a scope on a ball head mount. You'll have to fight the tendency for it to want to tip over. It's that ol' "Right tool for the right job" thing!

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics