Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Scopenik

Reged: 11/03/07

Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6
      #4361416 - 02/03/11 07:00 PM

I am interested in comparisons/reviews contrasting Software Bisque's The SKY X Professional with TPoint and Starry Night Pro Plus 6. I bought Starry Night many years ago before hearing about The Sky. It seems that most astronomers choose The Sky. I am considering purchasing The Sky X Professional with TPoint. Currently I have Starry Night version Pro Plus 6.

I tried using Cloudy Nights' Google Search to look for reviews of Software Bisque's The SKY X Professional License with TPoint compared to Starry Night Pro Plus 6 and have not found too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glenn T.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
j.w.white
sage

Reged: 07/18/09

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Scopenik]
      #4362106 - 02/04/11 01:48 AM

Hi Glenn,
I think if you are going to make a fair comparison, you need to remove TPoint from the equation. Starry Night Pro doesn't have the same kind of point mapping that TPoint enables in TheSkyX (at an additional cost too). From my prior use of Starry Night, I think if the only thing you are looking for is a digital planetarium, with the ability to print sky maps for later use, Starry Night is hard to beat (even more so it would seem with the Pro Plus enhancements). The graphical representations in Starry Night have always been excellent! On the other hand, if you want an application that helps automate control of your scope, and allows you to manage several very useful functions for imagers (plate solving or "image link", mosaic creation/management, TPoint for improved pointing accuracy, and the ability to automate sky mapping), then TheSkyX Pro is what you are looking for. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is Starry Night is an excellent stand alone digital planetarium, while TheSkyX is that, but provides much greater imaging/mount control capabilties - but at a much greater cost. Not just TheSkyX's cost/annual subscription itself, but all of the other required components that allow it to perform; from software plug-ins (like TPoint) to compatible cameras (mostly SBIG).

Scott K
Non-standard Title

Reged: 09/13/07

Loc: Dallas, TX & Eufaula, OK
Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: j.w.white]
      #4363372 - 02/04/11 04:23 PM

Why would you pick The SkyX Pro vs. The SkyX Serious with TPOINT? The serious addition costs less, and includes mount control (for many mounts anyway) and TPOINT is available as an option for it.

The big differences between "Serious" and "Pro" are:
- pro has a much bigger selection of stellar databases. (You can use UCAC3 if you download it, or buy an add-on disc with UCAC3, Digital sky survey photo database, and NOMAD.)
- pro supports the paramount ME
- pro supports domes
- pro supports cameras (At least to some extent, the camera plugin isn't a replacement for ccdsoft yet, so right now, to be in business, you would really need pro and ccdsoft.)
- pro supports scripting and automation. (Upcoming release will support javascript.)

Not trying to discourage you from the pro version, I have it, it's awesome. However, I have an observatory dome and a Paramount ME, and use TSX to control them. So it's possible that in your situation the "Serious" edition might be a better fit.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
      #4364313 - 02/05/11 12:57 AM

Unless you have a specific need for some feature TheSkyX has or your scope is permanently mounted but has lousy pointing, don't waste your money.

Scott K
Non-standard Title

Reged: 09/13/07

Loc: Dallas, TX & Eufaula, OK
Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #4364387 - 02/05/11 02:33 AM

Still hasn't won you over, Marcus? Bummer.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Scott K]
      #4364539 - 02/05/11 06:50 AM

Nope, maybe one day it will, but not so far. I'm waiting to see what 10.1.10 has.

Scopenik

Reged: 11/03/07

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: j.w.white]
      #4365029 - 02/05/11 11:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for their replies,
The reason I asked about comparisons of Starry Night Pro Plus 6 to The Sky X Pro with TPoint is that the pre-owned copy of The Sky X that I am considering purchasing includes the Pro version with TPoint (and the Starry Night software version that I currently own and use is Pro Plus 6). Before buying this pre-owned version I would contact Software Bisque to make sure that I could successfully transfer the previous owner's License to me.
While reading the Software Bisque web page, I quickly read about subscription options but did not read it thoroughly enough to understand which, if any, subscriptions are needed to continue using the program after owning it and a valid license.
Since my post, I have read that The Sky X Professional does not integrate with Maxim DL (by cyanogen.com). Quite some time ago I bought Maxim DL in preparation (and hopes) to begin astro imaging. Being buried in work, I have not gotten going with imaging as yet but still intend to. Maxim DL states that it is ASCOM compatible.
My other reason for considering purchase of a version of The Sky X is that many observatories seem to use it and so it may be helpful to be familiar with it for times when I might have access to an observatory that uses The Sky.

Glenn T.

Edited by Scopenik (02/05/11 11:47 AM)

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

#4365330 - 02/05/11 01:45 PM

If you don't purchase the subscription it won't prevent you from using the software, you just can't access any bug fixes or updates after the subscription expires. TheSky also supports the use if ASCOM scope drivers.

MaxIm DL is also subscription based. As far as transfering a SB license both the seller and the buyer must contact SB in order to transfer the license to the new owner.

MaxIm DL supports scope control and pointing correction, but for pointing correction the MaxPoint program is required. MaxIm DL also supports a wider range of cameras than the TSX/CDDSoft combo.

j.w.white
sage

Reged: 07/18/09

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Scott K]
      #4366725 - 02/06/11 12:27 AM

Hi Scott,

for me, the two BIGGEST differences (other than those you mentioned) that Serious doesn't have are plate solve (image link - and it's ability to match the FOV indicator to that solution) and mosaic. I agree, the Serious addition is terrific, but I'm hoping the image link/mosaic combo will allow my poor 'ole Edge HD 8" scope to do some fantastic mid field imaging (user error not withstanding of course!).

CCDMan

Reged: 03/10/10

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5722169 - 03/09/13 12:02 PM

Quote:

If you don't purchase the subscription it won't prevent you from using the software, you just can't access any bug fixes or updates after the subscription expires.

That's right, write software with bugs and then charge more to fix it. They have learned much from the Mafia. Now youse
wouldn't want sumthin to happen to youse software, would ya?

Reason enough to avoid TheSkyX. IMHO. Charging for upgrades, fine. Charging to fix what you broke in the first place should get you jail time.

Ron359

Reged: 04/21/08

Loc: CO USA
      #5722699 - 03/09/13 05:35 PM

It might depend on what scope and mount you and OS you want to use with software. I've got both for use on a Macbook Pro. One big limitation of SNP is that the list of scopes it will connect to is pretty short compared to The Sky X. I've got a 'push-to' with encoders and SNP won't recognize the Celestron AAM computer I happen to have. I didn't find that out till after I bought SNP. Don't ask my why, but their support told me several years ago, if its not on the list they don't support it. The Sky X connects just fine and has a huge list of supported scopes. As others have pointed out it also has a lot of add ons like T-Point, CCD Ops and there is a lot of new stuff coming out that SNP just doesn't have, but T-Point is why a lot of observatories use it of course.

SNP has been bought out and changed company owners a couple times and I don't think its been updated for a couple years now, although satellite and other solar system updates are still working. So I'd question its longevity as useful software.

HTH Ron

Ron359

Reged: 04/21/08

Loc: CO USA
Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Ron359]
      #5722703 - 03/09/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

It might depend on what scope and mount you and OS you want to use with software. I've got both for use on a Macbook Pro. One big limitation of SNP is that the list of scopes it will connect to is pretty short compared to The Sky X. I've got a 'push-to' with encoders and SNP won't recognize the Celestron AAM computer I happen to have. I didn't find that out till after I bought SNP. Don't ask my why, but their support told me several years ago, if its not on the list they don't support it. The Sky X connects just fine and has a huge list of supported scopes. As others have pointed out it also has a lot of add ons like T-Point, CCD Ops and there is a lot of new stuff coming out that SNP just doesn't have, but T-Point is why a lot of observatories use it of course.

SNP has been bought out and changed company owners a couple times and I don't think its been updated for a couple years now, although satellite and other solar system updates are still working. So I'd question its longevity as useful software.

HTH Ron

*BLEEP* - I just noticed the original post is over 2 years old?!

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Ron359]
      #5723591 - 03/10/13 10:04 AM

No problem, Ron. I appreciated you bringing this topic up to the forefront again and I read the whole thread with great interest. I am currently using SN Pro but have been considering the SkyX mainly for its ability to do plate solving and also because it integrates well with ACP and other observatory control programs. I don't believe I have seen Starry Night Pro mentioned as being compatible with ACP or any of the other observatory automation programs that are currently on the market.

Recently, I was able to meet my plate solving needs by using the online plate solver found at nova.astrometry.net so now I just have to decide if I still want the SkyX for its compatibility advantages.

The ability to have Tpoint would be a nice addition someday as well! Hmmm, I guess I still haven't fully made up my mind yet

Geert

Reged: 01/31/12

Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5846282 - 05/07/13 06:22 PM

Hello
Is far as I know, ACP needs Maxim DL, and maxim DL integrates well with Starry night...
Also, if you are considering ACP, it self has a strong plate solving engine....

Geert

Edited by Geert (05/07/13 06:24 PM)

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Sky X Pro with TPoint vs Starry Night Pro Plus 6 new [Re: Geert]
      #5848204 - 05/08/13 04:55 PM

Just stepping in here to say welcome to Cloudy Nights Geert.
Normal programming can now resume.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7306

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics