Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/21/05

Loc: Denville, NJ
C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new
      #4288484 - 01/03/11 09:50 AM

I really enjoy using my C6R in an alt-az configuration, but my current mount (DSV-1) can only be used at very low powers, about 60x max. The GEM that I also use this scope on is an Orion Sirius, but there are many nights where I don’t want to set up the GEM, so I am thinking of upgrading my alt-az to the Unistar Deluxe. Ideally, I would like to use the scope at up to 180x with some acceptable vibration (comparable to the Sirius). Now I am trying to figure out the best set up for this goal.

First, the tripod… I am currently using a CG-5 tripod with 2” SS legs and the SVP extension column. I could get an adapter to mount the Unistar on top of this or I could get the UA heavy duty surveyor tripod. The CG-5 + extension would win for max height, but I’m not sure which set up would be more stable. Any opinions?

Second, the saddle/jaw… UA offers a few configurations, 3”, 7” or 12” saddle? 2” vs 3” jaw? All of my other scopes and mounts use vixen dovetails/saddles, so the 2” jaw is a no-brainer. I guess the real option to consider is the saddle. Does the 12” saddle provide that much more stability than the 7”? I plan to speak with Larry about the options, but I’d like to get some opinions first from the CN crowd.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new [Re: midnite4blues]
      #4289396 - 01/03/11 04:11 PM

Hmmm...180x may be a bit much even for the Unistar Deluxe. I have the model with the old style knobs on a Oberwerk wooden tripod and thought it was okay with the NP-127 ota, but don't think would go anywhere near 180x, mind you the Oberwerk wooden tripod is a medium duty setup, imo. I actually use that setup with a TV-85 and Lunt -60 telescopes.

When I had a CR-150(aka early C-6R), it was on a CG-5AS tripod with SVP-extension and GIRO III head with counterweight. I recall going comfortably up to 136X with a 8.8mm eyepiece and maybe with a dual-speed or electronic focuser I could have approached 180x as focus shakes were the limiting factor.

Anyway, give Larry a call and I'm sure he'll come up with a proper setup... maybe the Super 8 Deluxe.

midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new [Re: Jim7728]
      #4289492 - 01/03/11 05:00 PM

Jim, good points. I wouldn't expect focusing at 180x to be easy, but it would be nice if it was possible. Thats about how I would sum it up on the Sirius mount with same tripod and extension - difficult, but possible.

As for the different variations to the Unistar mount, the UA website is very confusing and I know I need to speak with Larry about the options. Just looking for feedback from users at this point.

dwmedic

Reged: 06/12/09

Loc: Oxford,Ks
      #4290338 - 01/03/11 11:28 PM

I would call Larry, I too found the website alittle confusing. He was very helpful, got me just what I needed. I used mine with a meade field tripod and it handled my meade 10in sct and my ES AR152 refractor very well. Don't have it anymore but if I can remember correctly dampening time was not to bad with the sct under high mag. never really timed it. Like you I used it when I didn't want to take time to set up my atlas. Derek

dwmedic

Reged: 06/12/09

Loc: Oxford,Ks
Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new [Re: dwmedic]
      #4290351 - 01/03/11 11:34 PM

Forgot to mention. Mine had the 7in saddle with the 3in jaw and double clamps. I also switched over to a losmandy universal dovetail more stable than the vixen. Derek

midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new [Re: dwmedic]
      #4293823 - 01/05/11 02:07 PM

Quote:

Forgot to mention. Mine had the 7in saddle with the 3in jaw and double clamps. I also switched over to a losmandy universal dovetail more stable than the vixen. Derek

Well, after a long conversation with Larry, I orders a Unistar with the 7" saddle and 3" jaw along with a 12" losmandy style dovetail bar. This seems to be the way to go for heavy and long scopes like the C6R. At some point I will post a review of the performance of this combo.

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
      #4294169 - 01/05/11 04:19 PM

I had this combo. I had the Unistar Deluxe with a 7" saddle (Losmandy type), my skywatcher 150mm achro (same as the CR6) but tried it out on a wooden Surveyors type tripod. The tripod was definitely the weak link. You need a substantial tripod to get the full use out of that mount.
IMO it's the best alt-az for the money.

midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4294273 - 01/05/11 04:57 PM

Jason, after discussing the tripod options with Larry, I decided to start out by using what I've got. I have a few different tripods ranging from 1.5" to 2" SS legs. If none of them give me the combination of steadiness and height, I will look for some other options. It was nice to talk to someone about a potential purchase and not be pressured with an upsell. He could have pushed the heavy-duty tripod he sells, but he thought it was a good idea to try what I have already. Sincerely a nice guy!

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
      #4306093 - 01/10/11 10:57 PM

I use my 120ED with a Unistar Deluxe and the heavy duty surveyor's tripod that Larry sells. It's a good combination that I am enjoying. It works best if you use lightweight eyepieces. Heavyweight eyepieces will throw it out of balance and then you have adjust the tube in the rings to get it rebalanced.

midnite4blues
professor emeritus

Re: C6R + Unistar Deluxe – questions about this combo [Re: coopman]
      #4362424 - 02/04/11 08:49 AM

I got my Unistar last week and had it out for the first time last night. Top to bottom, the set up was:

C6R
3"x12" dovetail plate
Unistar Deluxe
SVP extension column
CG5 tripod (set at shortest height)
Anti-vibration pads

All I can say is, this mount is amazing. It held my C6R steadier than my Sirius EQ mount. I pushed the magnification up to 180x and I was able to focus easily (I also upgraded the focuser to a JMI EV2). The interesting thing about this mount is that balance doesn't seem to be as critical as other alt-az mounts I've used. I started with my heaviest 2" eyepiece, a 40mm SWA, and balanced the scope a little heavy on the eyepiece side. I do this with other mounts as well since the 40 is mainly my finder ep and I usually change to something lighter for real observing anyway. But on other mounts, the starting "off-balance" set up is a little unsteady and then the mount steadies when I change to something lighter. On the Unistar, the slightly off-balance set up was not bad at all. Then when I switched to my 18 UWA, the mount was completely transparent. The view of M42 was increadible. Then I moved up to a 6.7 UWA and thats when I realized I made the right choice with this mount. I've never been able to focus easily with this scope/ep combo until now. I was able to easily get a sharp enough focus to resolve a fifth star in the trap. I think I also saw the sixth star, but I can't say for sure.

Overall, a great mount that I would highly recommend to someone with a large refractor.

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1012

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics