Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
Swap heads on Orion Paragon mount? new
      #4366170 - 02/05/11 07:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a used Orion paragon mount with a standard alt-az camera head, and a tabletop Orion EQ mount.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the head from the paragon and if the EQ head can be placed on the tripod?

If so, where do I start dismantling the paragon head? It's mounted on an elevator shaft, and there isn't an obvious bolt in view. Not sure how messy it's going to be if I open everything up.

The EQ-1 head has a shaft with internal threads that would need to be fixed to the tripod.

Thanks for any tips!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom McDonald
sage

Reged: 12/19/06

Loc: No where man!
Re: Swap heads on Orion Paragon mount? new [Re: Tim L]
      #4367015 - 02/06/11 08:14 AM

Tim,
I have the Paragon HD, hopefully it's similar to the lighter duty one. Mine has a disk attached to the center column. On top of that disk is another disk with graduations on it. The top disk unscrews from the bottom disk revealing a 1/4-20 thread. You might need a large pair of pliers to grip the top disk as it's pretty tight. Turn it counter-clockwise and it should come loose.

Good luck!

Tom

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
Re: Swap heads on Orion Paragon mount? new [Re: Tom McDonald]
      #4368111 - 02/06/11 05:40 PM

Thanks, Tom.

Looks like I'll have to remove the alt section first to be able to get at the az hub.

The paragon head has such a gooey sound from whatever fluid is in there, I was afraid if I unscrewed something I was going to have oil everywhere!

Tom McDonald
sage

Reged: 12/19/06

Loc: No where man!
Re: Swap heads on Orion Paragon mount? [Re: Tim L]
      #4368236 - 02/06/11 06:27 PM

"Looks like I'll have to remove the alt section first to be able to get at the az hub."
No, you should be able to grip the top disk with the pliers and turn it off without taking anything else apart first.

"The paragon head has such a gooey sound from whatever fluid is in there, I was afraid if I unscrewed something I was going to have oil everywhere!"
That's not a "fluid"! Don't know what it is, but mine leaked all over a chair it was leaning against this past summer. Heat does wonders with that stuff.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 550

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics