Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
PST Safety warnings and modifications. UPDATED new
      #1117904 - 08/28/06 09:56 AM

This is a reminder about the dangers of solar observing and/or making modifications to your scopes for solar viewing, especially the PST.

The PST is a very specialized instrument and any changes to a scope like this could be extremely hazardous. Changing the spacing between the Etalon and the diagonal (which contains IR blocking) could result in the light path changing and more energy reaching the eye. The damage would be done without any physical warning. Also, there is a risk of the modified scope breaking or shifting, even parts of it falling off while viewing.

I would like to add that one of our main tenets here on Cloudy Nights is that we are a family oriented site. With this doctrine comes certain responsibilities that we take seriously. Safety is one of them. Cloudy Nights will not host any discussions or threads that have to do with modifying these telescopes for solar observing. This includes images and discussions of disassembled PST's.

Please respect the position we have taken and abide by it.

Edited by Don W (06/04/09 04:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don W
demi-god

Reged: 05/19/03

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications new [Re: Erix]
      #3145896 - 06/04/09 04:32 PM

UPDATE

In keeping with our policy concering PST mods, we will not allow users to refer to their altered PSTs as PST80 or whatever. It calls attention to the fact that it has been modified and is outside the spirit of our rule. Such posts may be edited or deleted by one of the moderators without warning or explanation. Once again, we have been advised to do this by our legal experts to minimize any liability to Cloudy Nights and it's owners, Astronomics. If you are not clear on this please PM a Moderator or Admin for further info.

The moderator team

Trever
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: North Alabama
Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications new [Re: Don W]
      #3643325 - 02/23/10 05:00 PM

A quick Question Don... Does this also refer to what Denkmeier is doing now with the PST? I don't really feel comfortable even with this.

web page

Don W
demi-god

Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications new [Re: Trever]
      #3643369 - 02/23/10 05:20 PM

I'm inclined to look the other way on this since it's professionally done. We are mostly concerned with people altering their own PSTs using instructions they got here. That's where the legal problems could arise.

Old Dinosaur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/07

Loc: Down there on the river
      #3643404 - 02/23/10 05:32 PM

Quote:

A quick Question Don... Does this also refer to what Denkmeier is doing now with the PST? I don't really feel comfortable even with this.

web page

Why should that worry you? They're not a bunch of kids messing around in their dad's garage.
I've got one coming and I really look forward to it.

Trever
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: North Alabama
Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications new [Re: Old Dinosaur]
      #3644195 - 02/24/10 12:47 AM

Cool. Just wanting to play by the rules..

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #3703206 - 03/24/10 08:07 PM

Quote:

Cloudy Nights will not host any discussions or threads that have to do with modifying these telescopes for solar observing. This includes images and discussions of disassembled PST's.

A contributor (not me) has just had images taken with a modified PST deleted. Not images OF a modified PST ... which is what the wording seems to forbid.

Quite honestly, what is the safety issue here? Should we be banning white light images on the grounds that they might encourage people to observe the Sun without "modifying" their scope i.e. adding a safe objective filter or a solar wedge & neutral density filters?

It's heavy handed moderation like this that makes me wonder whether I should continue contributing to this forum.

Don W
demi-god

Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications new [Re: brianb11213]
      #3703238 - 03/24/10 08:26 PM

I'm not going to start another discussion regarding the merits of our rules. They are not up for discussion. There are legal matters at stake and we are not going to rehash it every few months.

TH1
Vendor (Denkmeier West Coast Rep)

Reged: 07/24/10

Loc: CA
Re: PST Safety warnings and modifications [Re: Don W]
      #4368975 - 02/07/11 01:04 AM

I agree fully with CN and their policies - keep the site free and out of litigation.

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17874

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics