Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
oeagleo
sage

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Utah, USA
What would YOU do? - Need Input! new
      #4376504 - 02/10/11 12:11 PM

As several in the forums know, I have picked up a plethora of Astronomy equipment, most of which I could not use. The final, remaining item is a Losmondy G-11 with Gemini system, upgraded clutch knobs, Illuminated polar finder, etc.

I did intend to sell this item somewhere, either here in the S&S, Classyfrieds, or Astromart for something in the neighborhood of $2400, which I thought might be a pretty good bargain, especially if I include the scope buggy. I did NOT want to ship this unit.

So, that's the background. Now, after purchasing a new power cable from Hollywood Machine, (which doesn't look like the one that I got with the unit), the Gemini still doesn't fire up. I have plugged the cable into a 12v "starter" type battery setup, but I may need to charge it a bit, (waiting on a cable for that), as I hear this unit needs 3 amps. I am NOT an electronics type person, so tearing the Gemini box apart is not something I'm either eager to do, or comfortable with.

Okay, so that's the scenario. Here's what I'm thinking.. Should I:
a) Wait for input from Losmandy, as to what may be the problem, and cost, and continue to wait for a sale in the $2400 range, or
b) Put it up for sale at a "discount" say around $1700, and inform any future purchaser of the issue?

If I can sell the mount, and Scope Buggy for around $1700-1800 I'll be okay as far as recouping the money I spent, and be done with it, that's the reasoning behind the lowball sale.

Input? Please?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: oeagleo]
      #4376521 - 02/10/11 12:17 PM

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your issue there..,

Was the Gemini unit working before you needed to replace the cable?

If so, and you can wait, I'd suggest you work with Losmandy to determine the fix for your unit, then sell at your higher price for a fully working unit.

Hope that helps..,

Regards,

skybsd

oeagleo
sage

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: skybsd]
      #4376530 - 02/10/11 12:21 PM

Actually, I picked it up at a Sheriff's sale, and everything else in the sale, (LX-90, SBIG 7E, etc) have been working fine. I have not got it working, so I'm at a total loss as to what may be wrong. I plug it in, turn the switch to "on", and nothing happens.. *sigh*

This mount, it's functions, and abilities are WAY beyond anything I've ever been exposed to, so I'm really apprehensive about doing much to it..

Edited by oeagleo (02/10/11 12:22 PM)

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4376584 - 02/10/11 12:40 PM

Hi,
Oh.., that makes a big difference - if you don't know if its supposed to be working to begin with..,

Are you sure your battery pack actually has power? The the first thing I'd check is to replace the internal battery, really. Who knows how long the mount's been powered off

Its a simple - open up Gemini and make sure you see how the battery is installed, take out the battery, check the model number printed on the top, replace (remember orientation) with new battery, try to power up again.

Hope that helps..,

Regards,

skybsd

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #4376588 - 02/10/11 12:43 PM

Does it turn on? If not then the power supply is the possible cause or the internal fuse maybe.
Blueman

oeagleo
sage

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: blueman]
      #4376709 - 02/10/11 01:35 PM

UPDATE! I got it to turn on by plugging the thing into another AC power supply that I use for my Celestron. It's 6 amps, so "should" work. I discovered during this process that I didn't have an allen wrench, or anything to dismantle the Gemini box, so decided to give it a go anyway.
It Booted!!
Comes on the hand controller, "Gemini Level 3, v1.01, S/N 1222" Then goes through a few gyrations. After that, I push the "menu" button, after hitting whatever key on the info screens, (I only want to see if the motors will slew the thing), and it only says something like "bright star", I hit the menu again, and it says "Slewing", for about 2 seconds, maybe 5 degrees, then comes on and says "Motor Stalled"? Something like that.

Finally downloaded the Gemini manual from Losmondy, Think I'll take a while, read it, and go for it again. Stay tuned guys, I'm gonna need help on this one..

Once again, thanks for your patience with a newbie!
Looks like I'm gonna owe someone a beer after all of this!

Edited by oeagleo (02/10/11 01:56 PM)

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4376876 - 02/10/11 02:50 PM

Glad to hear you got it to spring to life

The "Motor Stalled" error msg relates to the fact that more than likely, you've not got anything loaded onto the mount, so its not balanced

IF you were intending to keep the mount, I'd upgrade the Gemini ROM chip to the latest stable v1 code, by the way.

You need to make sure you downloaded the manual for your Gemini version , by the way

Have fun!

Regards,

skybsd

oeagleo
sage

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: skybsd]
      #4376975 - 02/10/11 03:34 PM

Skybsd, you're absolutely right! I took the 8" off that mount, and returned it to the Meade mount, (LX-90), so it has nothing on it. I was thinking it might have been because I just hit "enter" (or whatever) for the location, time, etc, to get to what Meade would have been the direction keys. (See, I told ya I know nothing of a mount this complicated).

I'm going to read a bit of the manual, take heed, and see what happens.. Know anyone wants a G-11? (grin)

Once again, I do thank y'all in this forum for getting me up and going, now I can address the sale.

Bowman
journeyman

Reged: 11/01/10

Loc: Michigan/Florida
      #4377145 - 02/10/11 05:02 PM

Oeagleo:

I have a brand new G11 and had the same problem using the Gemini 1 from my GM8. It turned out to be rather easy to solve. I found that the RA motor was not meshing fully with the gear box and I was getting a motor stalled warning. I tried removing the gear box cover and it solved the problem. The problem was caused by pressure from the gear box cover on the motor assembly. It did not allow the motor to full seat. I used my Dremel to enlarge the hole in the gear box cover until there was no touch between the two and reinstalled the cover. I no longer get the dreaded RA lags or RA stalled warnings. I have used it 4 times now in the last month without a problem. I'm in Southeast Florida so snow and cold are not a problem, only light pollution, gnats, mosquitoes and clouds.

Larry Hoffman

oeagleo
sage

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: Bowman]
      #4377231 - 02/10/11 05:51 PM

Bowman, Thanks for the info, however, I believe that the issue was the fact that I had left the 20+ lb counterweight on the bar, and nothing on the other end of the thing. Tomorrow, I think I'll take the counterweight off, so that there's nothing on either end, and actually follow the directions on how to use the hand paddle.. I think I'll probably win then, but I will keep your info handy, just in case...

Thanks!
Steve

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #4377266 - 02/10/11 06:00 PM

Are you sure you will never have a use for the G11? It's a very nice mount and it would be a shame if a couple years down the road you end up wishing you had kept it.

oeagleo
sage

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! new [Re: City Kid]
      #4377313 - 02/10/11 06:22 PM

I'm sure, I'm almost ready to sell the C8-SGT to keep the Meade LX-90, I'm not an astrophotographer, I can barely get an image on my DSI-II, so yes, I'm sure, and at this point, I would like to recoup the money I spent on the whole set of "toys", just so I can appease "She who must be obeyed" at the expenditure.. :-)

HOWEVER, this mount shows such quality that it's kind of like a new puppy.. I want to play with it for a bit, and if I can see a way, maybe I will keep it.. after all, it doesn't eat NOW, It's a decision I think I'm going to postpone for a bit, perhaps until warmer weather allows me to really check it out.. I can use the time to "get to know" the mount..

Edited by oeagleo (02/10/11 07:46 PM)

oeagleo
sage

#4378884 - 02/11/11 01:04 PM

It's in the S&S Mounts section.. I've made my decision, put it in there, and the classyfrieds here.. Hope it goes..

Edited by oeagleo (02/11/11 07:25 PM)

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: What would YOU do? - Need Input! [Re: oeagleo]
      #4378945 - 02/11/11 01:31 PM

Best of luck with the sale!

Regards,

skybsd

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics