Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
Remote control of my vixen mount solved! new
      #4376413 - 02/10/11 11:37 AM

I finally figured out to run my vixen mount from in the comfort of my office. After entering scope mode, I connect the crossover LAN cable to my laptop (which I need to run phd and nebulosity) I then start the sky 6 and link to the mount. I can then run everything from the sky except initial alignment. I can slew to alignment stars with the sky, but I still must center and align on the starbook. I then start windows desktop remote control on my desktop, (you need windows 7 professional installed on the laptop) and for the rest of the evening I can sit inside for the entire evening. The only quirk I've found is when linking the vixen to to the sky 6, I have to choose setup each time in the telescope panel, then it will establish a link, and I'm good to go.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
charles1317
Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Reged: 03/05/10

Loc: Olympia, Wa USA
Re: Remote control of my vixen mount solved! new [Re: vpcirc]
      #4377530 - 02/10/11 07:49 PM

You connect the crossover cable between the laptop and the PC inside?

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Remote control of my vixen mount solved! new [Re: charles1317]
      #4377956 - 02/11/11 12:20 AM

what other folks have done is connect the Vixen to a wireless access point's LAN port. the AP has to be configured on the same LAN IP address segment as the Vixen (which I assume is a Starbook -- it has a hard-coded IP address).

so your laptop can be indoors (allow it to connect wirelessly to the AP).

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Re: Remote control of my vixen mount solved! new [Re: orlyandico]
      #4378161 - 02/11/11 05:28 AM

I connect the crossover LAN to the laptop and run the laptop indoors via windows remote desktop. I still need the laptop outdoors to plug the ccd camera and auto guider into. It just let's me sit inside to do everything once the system is aligned. Guess if I had a self guiding camera and a ccd that could remotely save images..., but most of us dont. Guys move the scope with ski safari already, but my goal is AP, which ski safari is
pointless unless I want to stand outside observing, and I was too lazy to pick up the starbook.

Edited by vpcirc (02/11/11 05:33 AM)

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4378414 - 02/11/11 09:23 AM

Hey that sounds great that you got that figured out. So overall are you happy with the SXD? Not to be off topic, but I keep seeing them pop up on that other site and have been tempted to grab one.
Thanks!

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Re: Remote control of my vixen mount solved! new [Re: nemo129]
      #4380479 - 02/12/11 08:09 AM

After owning a CGEM, I would take a Vixen hands down. Once you understand how to set it up correctly it's a dream. The polar scope is the most accurate one out there (no more drift aligns) Once I align the first star, every subsequent star appears in an orion 12mm crosshair ep. Half the time the CGEM would be off by 5 deg. I guide consistently for 15 min exposures for hours at a time with a loss of 20-25% of the frames. AP used to be a nightmare for me, now it's a dream.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #4380532 - 02/12/11 08:58 AM

vpcirc, am interested in your SXD experience.

there have been persistent reports of excessive DEC backlash that makes guiding very difficult. have you experienced this and can you elaborate?

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Re: Remote control of my vixen mount solved! [Re: orlyandico]
      #4380994 - 02/12/11 12:24 PM

There was dec issue with stiffness and a little noise that was an issue, but they released a motor firmware upgrade last year that ended that problem. The dec can be a little stiff for balancing, but it's not difficult to adjust see here;
http://enzerink.net/peter/blog/2008/06/24/vixen-star-book-faq
but I am able to balance with ease, maybe because I'm using a side by side configuration?

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 701

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics