Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
atelierbks

Reged: 01/29/09

Loc: St. Marsal, France & Grahamsto...
Using Giro-type AZ mounts on a wedge
      #4396398 - 02/19/11 05:03 AM

I'm thinking of mounting my Giro 3 on an AstroTrac ATTW3100 wedge (http://www.teleskop-express.de). Anyone have thoughts whether flat-bearing-surface AZ heads of the Giro type can work smoothly & accurately while being rotated significantly off-vertical? I want to minimize elevation compensation while tracking for extended periods. The carried mass would be OTAs of about 15 to 18 lb.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bg2468

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: Using Giro-type AZ mounts on a wedge new [Re: atelierbks]
      #4397356 - 02/19/11 04:11 PM

Douglas....A great question and I wish someone would chime in with an answer. I have a Linhof tripod head (which I took apart to use the bottom plate) and wondered the same thing. This head is just like a wedge and pretty strong. If I ever put it back together I'll pm you with the results (I have a Giro).
Bob

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Canberra, Oz
Re: Using Giro-type AZ mounts on a wedge new [Re: bg2468]
      #4398641 - 02/20/11 05:23 AM

Quote:

Douglas....A great question and I wish someone would chime in with an answer. I have a Linhof tripod head (which I took apart to use the bottom plate) and wondered the same thing. This head is just like a wedge and pretty strong. If I ever put it back together I'll pm you with the results (I have a Giro).
Bob

Hello Bob - I'd be interested to hear about this as well (another Giro user). Can you post your results?

Andrew

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #4404439 - 02/22/11 06:32 PM

I think you might have to keep the axis so tight to keep it from rotating that it wouldn't track smoothly. My Giro isn't sensitive to being level but my WO EZ and AZ4 are. I can't tighten the EZ enough to keep it from rotating if it's a little off level. When the AZ4 isn't level I can tighten the axis to keep it from moving but tracking smoothness is compromised. David

ScottW

Reged: 05/05/05

#4405779 - 02/23/11 11:19 AM

I think I read once that this should not be done with this mount. I can't recall why but it did have something to do with the design.
I could be wrong, too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 793

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics