Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: 10Micron new [Re: GIR]
      #6340368 - 01/28/14 08:23 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up with ASA or 10micron, but I'll continue to use OAG as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GIR

Reged: 01/02/10

Loc: Finland
Re: 10Micron new [Re: orion69]
      #6340374 - 01/28/14 08:28 AM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up with ASA or 10micron, but I'll continue to use OAG as well.

Either one and you'll have a very high quality mount...

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
      #6340375 - 01/28/14 08:28 AM

When I looked at Autoslew there was input boxes for temp and pressure, and the coordinate display included the amount of refraction present at the current pointing. That wasn't too long ago...

/per

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: 10Micron new [Re: orion69]
      #6340377 - 01/28/14 08:29 AM

Quote:

why not just install OAG and everything is solved with one stroke?

I'm going to play my pragmatist card again. I'm not seeing these problems at all so until the day comes that this refraction issue bites I'll just carry on getting nice round stars without an OAG.

The point of getting this mount for me - was to avoid the need to use a OAG and be able to use the mount *anywhere* - well away from supporting stuff like mains power/external computers/too many cables

A test will come when I get my ASA astrograph later this year, but probably not as the FL isn't much different from that I use now. I'm guessing this refraction discussion is really for long FL - 2000mm ??

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 10Micron new [Re: HowardK]
      #6340493 - 01/28/14 09:33 AM

Quote:

Where do i find the updater application to install on my computer?

The firmware updates as well as software updates are all available through the forum page on the www.10Micron.com website.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: 10Micron new [Re: Tonk]
      #6340551 - 01/28/14 10:05 AM

I'm always intrigued by these discussions and like to know that (ever since the Paramounts, I guess), the temp, pressure, etc. have been being taken into account (it's with the ASA's, too, yes? I seem to recall it in the software manual). Very cool. And thanks for explaining, to all who are.

Personally, I'm trying to get a mount that does away with all of these things and simply uses elves to control the tracking and pointing. I'm figuring a bunch of ex-Santa elves would be best, because, living at the North Pole, they'd be best at getting perfect polar alignment. I could be wrong though.... They work well in cold weather, too, I hear.

Anyway, good stuff here,

Paul

GIR

Re: 10Micron new [Re: Per Frejvall]
      #6340674 - 01/28/14 11:04 AM

Quote:

When I looked at Autoslew there was input boxes for temp and pressure, and the coordinate display included the amount of refraction present at the current pointing. That wasn't too long ago...

/per

That´s quite interesting because the manual doesn't mention a need for that kind of data input, I've never made such an input and can't find a place for it from Autoslew either. There is only a box for the "altitude above sea level" but that's taken care automatically by the GPS.
So if there is such an input box, it has been buried quite deeply Are you sure it was Autoslew and not some other software ?

The manual states:
"The should position not only accounts for atmospheric refraction, but will also include corrections for pointing errors which have been determined earlier in a recorded pointing file"

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #6340697 - 01/28/14 11:09 AM

Per, in all your time gyrations are you accounting for the difference between UTC and UT1? If you're going to worry about sub-second time, then you should do this as well since it can be a large sub-second factor. Trouble is of course, it's a variable value that continuously increases until the next leap second. So you have to periodically look up the current value (online).

You might want to increase the baud rate on your GPSR. On Windows 7 I run mind at 115K with NTP, use a recent development NTP rather than the stock one, use the Kernel mode serialpps and turn on interpolation as well. (On Windows 7 the time is much smoother using the Kernel mode serialpps driver with interpolation turned on.)

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: 10Micron new [Re: EFT]
      #6340865 - 01/28/14 12:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The firmware updates as well as software updates are all available through the forum page on the

www.10Micron.com website.

Sorry...but i cannot find them in the forum anywhere.
Do you have to own a mount to be able to access this or what?

Per Frejvall
sage

#6341106 - 01/28/14 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

/per

That´s quite interesting because the manual doesn't mention a need for that kind of data input, I've never made such an input and can't find a place for it from Autoslew either. There is only a box for the "altitude above sea level" but that's taken care automatically by the GPS.
So if there is such an input box, it has been buried quite deeply Are you sure it was Autoslew and not some other software ?

The manual states:
"The should position not only accounts for atmospheric refraction, but will also include corrections for pointing errors which have been determined earlier in a recorded pointing file"

Alright! They simply changed to using the altitude. It is a standard practice as well and works OK. Beware though, the WGS84 ellipsoid is only accurate for North America

/per

Per Frejvall
sage

#6341113 - 01/28/14 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The firmware updates as well as software updates are all available through the forum page on the

Yes, you do. The policy is such. What would you do with the firmware updater without a mount to talk to? You cannot get past the first screen without it.

If you want to know something in particular, I can make screen dumps for you. Or if you want the manuals you can go to Deepspace.

Let me know!

/per

EFT

#6341144 - 01/28/14 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the forums there is a "Download Software/Firmware" section where they are all contained. If you cannot access that section then I suspect that it is limited to owners and people like me. The Europeans have a lot of concern with software piracy, decompiling and reverse engineering. I can tell you that there is not much to see though. The firmware update program first asks you to connect the mount, then it gives you a screen where you can choose what items you want to update, firmware, comets, asteroids and satellites and boxes where you can choose to add, modify or delete the comets, asteroids and satellites. You also have the choice to import parameters from Perseus or an MPC file. That's all there is to it.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: 10Micron new [Re: EFT]
      #6341169 - 01/28/14 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the forums there is a "Download Software/Firmware" section where they are all contained. If you cannot access that section then I suspect that it is limited to owners and people like me. The Europeans have a lot of concern with software piracy, decompiling and reverse engineering. I can tell you that there is not much to see though. The firmware update program first asks you to connect the mount, then it gives you a screen where you can choose what items you want to update, firmware, comets, asteroids and satellites and boxes where you can choose to add, modify or delete the comets, asteroids and satellites. You also have the choice to import parameters from Perseus or an MPC file. That's all there is to it.

I wonder if this is tied to the "Mount Model, Serial Number, Purchase date:" field in your account profile on the 10Mircon forum?

It seems odd that they would grant access manually?

Guylain

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: 10Micron new [Re: guyroch]
      #6341173 - 01/28/14 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if this is tied to the "Mount Model, Serial Number, Purchase date:" field in your account profile on the 10Mircon forum?

Guylain

There ya go.
http://forum.10micron.eu/viewtopic.php?t=254

Guylain

EFT

Re: 10Micron new [Re: guyroch]
      #6341188 - 01/28/14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Guylain

Full access does require approval from the administrator and that approval does require ownership as Per linked to.

GIR

#6341251 - 01/28/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

/per

The manual states:

Alright! They simply changed to using the altitude. It is a standard practice as well and works OK. Beware though, the WGS84 ellipsoid is only accurate for North America

/per

It has been like that for at least couple of years, maybe longer. You said seeing it "not too long ago"
Anyway, the main thing is that there is no manual input (of any kind of data) needed to make the model.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6341417 - 01/28/14 04:34 PM

Thanks all.

Now i know that i need a mount to see the firmware updater.
Have to wait til later in the year then when i commit to the 2000HPS.

Per Frejvall
sage

Re: 10Micron new [Re: frolinmod]
      #6341426 - 01/28/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Per, in all your time gyrations are you accounting for the difference between UTC and UT1? If you're going to worry about sub-second time, then you should do this as well since it can be a large sub-second factor. Trouble is of course, it's a variable value that continuously increases until the next leap second. So you have to periodically look up the current value (online).

You might want to increase the baud rate on your GPSR. On Windows 7 I run mind at 115K with NTP, use a recent development NTP rather than the stock one, use the Kernel mode serialpps and turn on interpolation as well. (On Windows 7 the time is much smoother using the Kernel mode serialpps driver with interpolation turned on.)

UTC/UT1 is a continuous saga and problem. Not much we can do about it. As for PPS, well, that's a good way to go. I do not even use a GPS receiver; well actually, I have one in my boat, IALA diff and better than 15 cm of precision 24/7

/per

Per Frejvall
sage

#6341429 - 01/28/14 04:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks all.

Now i know that i need a mount to see the firmware updater.
Have to wait til later in the year then when i commit to the 2000HPS.

If you're dying to run a firmware update on a GM1000HPS I can let you sit in with Teamviewer Seriously, there's really nothing spectacular about it.

/per

Per Frejvall
sage

#6341443 - 01/28/14 04:50 PM

GIR,

The 30 meter error in WGS83 ellipsoid in our part of the world will not make much difference - you're good to go!

Bry dig inte om vad kritikerna säger och tycker. Ingen har någonsin rest en staty till minnet av en kritiker. (Sibelius)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23201

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics