Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
CG-5 Question new
      #4393913 - 02/17/11 11:29 PM

I used to have an Orion SkyView Pro with the optional DEC clockwork drive installed. Id make sure the tripod was aligned correctly, push the button and the mount would track the object that I was studying. Quick, fast and very satisfying.

My question: Without using the mounts GoTo function, does it have the capacity to simply track an object that I moved the scope to? In other words, can I just push a button and it will track in DEC on the object that I have moved it to?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: CG-5 Question new [Re: Bart]
      #4393929 - 02/17/11 11:40 PM

As long as it has a proper polar alignment, you can manually rotate the scope on the mount to an object to track.

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CG-5 Question new [Re: Fred1]
      #4393949 - 02/17/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

As long as it has a proper polar alignment, you can manually rotate the scope on the mount to an object to track.

So I can just use the direction buttons to locate the object and then hit track?

Trev
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/18/05

Loc: Fort McMurray, AB
      #4393989 - 02/18/11 12:31 AM

Once the mount is polar aligned you would have to do some kind of alignment (1 star, 2 star) then it will goto your target and track it.

If you just turn the ASGT on it tracks in RA but not DEC so you would have to keep nudging it to keep it on target.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
      #4394065 - 02/18/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So I can just use the direction buttons to locate the object and then hit track?

Yes. In fact you do not need to tell it to track, it always tracks in RA whenever you are not actively using the direction butons or telling to GoTo a target.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CG-5 Question new [Re: Trev]
      #4394236 - 02/18/11 05:59 AM

Quote:

Once the mount is polar aligned you would have to do some kind of alignment (1 star, 2 star) then it will goto your target and track it.

If you just turn the ASGT on it tracks in RA but not DEC so you would have to keep nudging it to keep it on target.

Actually, there's the Quick Align option that doesn't require any alignment. Power up, cycle through the date/time business, arrow down to Quick Align, boom, you're tracking. For visual work, just aiming the RA axis to north/Polaris is plenty and usually not too much nudging in declination will be required.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: CG-5 Question new [Re: rmollise]
      #4394291 - 02/18/11 07:10 AM

I used the quick align on my CG-5 carrying the C6r refractor on the night of the recent lunar eclipse.Aimed north, did quick align, slewed to Luna and two hours later it was still dead center in the eyepiece.

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CG-5 Question new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #4394391 - 02/18/11 08:37 AM

So the answer to my question is Yes. I can manually place it on an object and it will track. Excellent!

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#4395982 - 02/18/11 10:01 PM

Ydes but you have to do the quick align first from a rough polar position.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
      #4396622 - 02/19/11 09:28 AM

Sorry, not with my CG5ASGT's or my CGEM. I've often gone out in the driveway for some lunar observing by setting up the mount/scope, sighting Polaris so it's centered in the bore hole of the polar axis and then either disengaged the clutches or I'd push the buttons, if I felt like watching the graceful movement of the scope, to point the scope at the Moon. Then, I'd engage Lunar tracking. Depending on how well I polar aligned the tracking would perform from excellent to needing an occasional nudge with a button press. I've done likewise for Jupiter and Saturn with sidereal tracking. No Quick Align, Two Star or otherwise alignment needed. Go for it. You'll enjoy it. These mounts are very star-hopper friendly.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #4396804 - 02/19/11 11:04 AM

Fred nailed It! I have always done this with my SW EQ5P. This is one of the benefits of a GEM. If you have obstructed views of alignment stars or are not interested in GOTO, this is the fasted way to get going. I can usually go 5 minutes or more before having to re-center a particular object (Tycho or ? depending on the accuracy of my initial Polar alignment and magnification being used. With my Fork Mount this isn't possible without the addition of a Wedge which basically converts It to a GEM.

Mike

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

#4397193 - 02/19/11 02:49 PM

Dang, I learn something new every time I come here. Always thought the quick align was necessary to fire up tracking. So just a rough polar align and off you go . . . nice to know.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#4397363 - 02/19/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

Dang, I learn something new every time I come here. Always thought the quick align was necessary to fire up tracking. So just a rough polar align and off you go . . . nice to know.

It is necessary if you wish to use the go-to functions at all to get you in the neighborhood with automatic slewing. If you just want to move the scope with the buttons, it's not needed. The CG5, unlike the alt-az scopes, tracks when you turn it on.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: CG-5 Question [Re: rmollise]
      #4397770 - 02/19/11 07:15 PM

Yep I was thinking in CPC mode . . .

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1181

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics