Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4610935 - 05/30/11 12:28 PM

Quote:

I bet. Saturn is a real wow for those who have never looked through a telescope.

Agreed, Anthony. AND for those of us who regularly look through a telescope as well!! I never get enough of that beautiful planet.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4611327 - 05/30/11 03:42 PM

Good reports guys, keep them coming. Still miserable over here in Northern Ireland, I haven't had a scope out since April.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4611546 - 05/30/11 05:44 PM

Is that April 2011, 2010 or 2009 hal?

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4612118 - 05/30/11 11:40 PM

Another excellent night, this time with the CPC1100. That scope just crushes the SV80S in terms of resolution and splits of tight doubles. Porrima was a good split; the tight doubles in Bootes were excellent. Went through almost the entire double star catalog on the hand controller. Epsilon Lyra 1 and 2 pop in the same FOV down to as little as with the 5 mm Nagler eyepiece. Excellent split. Saturn was nice, with at least four moons visible. Both M13 and M5 were great- I thought M5 was perhaps the nicer looking globular tonight. Saw Bode's Nebula easily, and the Cat's Eye Nebula was very bright, with a sharp, nice center. Collimation may be just a touch off, but not bothersome at all. I'll get it dead on next perfect night that comes up. Finally, the "lost chunk of pie" when defocusing counterclockwise vanished completely. No idea why. The SV80S is a very nice scope, with sharp views and great contrast, but I think I need darker skies to even come close to what I can see with the bigger aperture scope. Wish the CPC1100 was more portable, or that I had a fixed observatory with a pier.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4612389 - 05/31/11 07:04 AM

Great report Anthony. You sure had a good night.

You are not helping though, with my fight against aperture fever. The CPC1100 will be my next, and hopefully, final scope, sometime in the future. I'm aiming for quite a long way into the future, but your report on the performance of the CPC1100 has got me all exited again.

Anthony, if you are able, get that observatory and pier.

Thanks for the report.

Regards. Peter.

hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4613205 - 05/31/11 03:05 PM

Art

BruceG

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: Apex/N. Topsail Island NC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4613346 - 05/31/11 04:19 PM

Finally some time at the dark site. Saturday night was really good and I took time to focus on all those goodies high in the sky since I seemed to miss almost a month and a half of observing. Lots of galaxy spoting and a few clusters with the requisite look at Saturn. Sunday was almost perfect. Did a lot of globular clusters and some nebula. Have to say I will have a hard time going back to my light polluted skies for a few weeks. Monday was a disappointment as seeing was very poor or I was spoiled from the first two nights. Any time I tried higher magnifications things just didn't work well and the wind created some vibration . Did about an hour of viewing but just not a good night. Still two out of three isn't bad. Really looking forward to late June when we should have a few more days at the beach.

Edited by BruceG (05/31/11 04:25 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BruceG]
      #4616890 - 06/02/11 03:03 PM

There's a good chance I will get some observing in tonight.

The skies are clear at the moment (20.00.hrs) and forecast to remain so, the Dream-Maker dome is open (scope cooling) and I managed a few hours of shut-eye this afternoon.

All that remains is for me to make up a couple of flasks at about 23.00hrs, make sure Yvonne is O.K and I'm good to go.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
      #4617946 - 06/03/11 06:44 AM

I awoke yesterday morning with a pain in my right eye. It felt like an eye lash was scratching my eye. I tried flushing the eye with running water, but no luck. I then jumped into the pool with both eyes open, but no luck. As the day progressed, the pain subsided but I could not read the digital clock on the DVR. It was like I lost my far-sighted vision.

Later that evening I went outside and the sky was clear, but the large stars & Saturn looked like airplanes. The stars had spikes in four directions and this was really irritating because I could not see what I normally could.

Even later I went back out to set-up, but the clouds came in & I called it a night.

The good news: I awoke this morning to normal eye sight. I can read the digital clock and I'm a happy camper. I wonder if I scratched the lens enough to cause temporary blurred vision, but then it healed overnight????

Either way, it was a bummer losing even the slightest bit of sight.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4617960 - 06/03/11 07:02 AM

Hi Peter,

did you in fact manage some time at the E/P last night, i should have gone out myself, but high thin cloud put me off, then later that night i had a call of nature, on going to the bathroom i peered out of the hall window and saw it was totally clear, still tonight looks great so i`m about to get the obs ready to try out my new imaging scope!

John,

yes, we often take our sight for granted, but as you have said, its not until theres a problem we realize how much we depend on it, good to hear though that the problem seems to have resolved itself!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (06/03/11 07:03 AM)

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4617964 - 06/03/11 07:09 AM

Always a good idea to get eye(s) checked after that sort of thing John.....

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4618034 - 06/03/11 08:50 AM

Hi Tom,

Yes, we take our health for granted until we lose it. I learned this lesson after bursting C-7 and being left with internal spinal cord syndrome. I now give thanks each & everyday

Hi Geoff,

I was going to see(no pun indeed )my eye DR, but since it's back to normal, I'll wait and see if it reoccurs.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4618037 - 06/03/11 08:51 AM

Oh yeah, it should be clear tonight and I'm hoping to get both scopes set-up side-by-side to compare the views for Kim.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4618038 - 06/03/11 08:53 AM

Hi Tom,

Yes, the weather held and I enjoyed over three hours of observing time.
The sky was perfectly clear but the air was very turbulent. Not that it bothered me. I was happy to be out there and was completely at ease with myself.

Saturn was nice and took mags of up to x254 (8mm). I could only just see Cassini for brief moments and I saw two Moons. It's proximity to Porrima made it a great sight in the 9x50 r.a.c.i viewfinder.

Amongst many other targets, mainly doubles, I had good views of Glob clusters M3, M13 and M92. I could do little with them as to resolving any detail due to the turbulence but it was good to view them anyway.

I started my session around 23.00hrs and two empty flasks later at around 02.00hrs a very happy Peter lock up his POD and headed indoors.

If tonights skies are the same as last nights, I shall repeat the operation.

Hope your skies stay clear for you Tom, and for all my friends here on C.Ns.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4618068 - 06/03/11 09:14 AM

Thanks Peter, its looking good for tonight, although given i will be imaging, and having checked starry night,it seems from my obs aspect theres not a whole lot on view for imaging, my aspect only allows from North through East to South, so some of the targets you mentioned you viewed will be available such as the globs, but apart from that about the only other target worth trying to image is NGC6946, the Firework galaxy, not a great target for me as i`m only using an 80mm scope tonight, but i will give it a go!

Glad to hear your night went pretty well and hope tonight will be good for you too,

regards,

Tom.

ac1
sage

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4619013 - 06/03/11 06:00 PM

Peter, I have yet to see a clean delineation of Cassini. Now, especially that Saturn is close to edge on over here. Is it close to edge on with you as well?

Should be a good night tonight, with above average transparency, and possibly a brief two or three hour window of "excellent" seeing per ClearSkies....we'll see.

ac1
sage

#4619018 - 06/03/11 06:01 PM

Oh, yes. Also learned that I'm not crazy, as Regulus and it's wide companion are actually considered a double star. Surprise, surprise.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4619693 - 06/04/11 03:05 AM

Quote:

Oh, yes. Also learned that I'm not crazy, as Regulus and it's wide companion are actually considered a double star. Surprise, surprise.

I just saw Regulus and had to check Stellarium to verify the companion star.

The sky looked clear and the stars were steady, but through the EP, the sky wasn't as dark as it normally is and the stars just weren't popping. Still nice to be out!!

Oh yeah, either no-see-um's or nats were starting to eat up my ankles so I fired up the Thermacell and after 10 to 15 minutes the bites subsided

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: flboy]
      #4619790 - 06/04/11 06:03 AM

Hi Anthony and Tom, (who was also hoping to be out)
Hope you both had a good night.

Saturns rings will look about the same here as with you I think Anthony, just about edge on. My clearest view of Cassini was earlier in the year when Saturn was in the S.E bewteen 21.00hrs and 23.00hrs. It is, as you say, very difficult to spot it now.

I managed around two hours last night. Seeing was fair to middling and not quite as turbulent as the night before.
I tried so more "M" numbers, M51,63,64,53,104,10,and M12 in that order. I had varying degree's of success as it's never dark enough at this time of year for objects of Mag 7.5 and below to yeald much.

Still, was good to be out and the challenge is the spur to keep trying.

I may try to catch the young Moon before it drops below the horizon tonight, weather permitting.

Regards Peter.

P.S your not crazy.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #4619813 - 06/04/11 07:03 AM

Hi Peter, and all,

Good to hear some of you guy`s got out last night, i too went out at about 10.30pm and came back indoors this morning with the Blackbirds singing in the dawn chorus, it was already getting light at about 3am and i was back indoors at 4am, dropped off to sleep around 6am and was up again at about 7am, so yes, i`m now shattered, LOL.

My night was a mixture of good and bad, i was trying out my newly aquired Skywatcher DS-PRO-80ED f/7.5 refractor which is now my main imaging scope for DSO`s, but i somehow messed up my alignment for taking 3 and 4 minute subs, being reduced to between 30 seconds and 60 seconds, so i must get that sorted in the coming days.I spent most of last night trying in vain to get a good alignment, but failed

Visually the new scope is very nice and gives good views with pin point stars across most of the FOV, just a little distortion at the very edge of the FOV.but nothing that distracts from the the overall view.Loving the 2 speed Crayford focuser allowing fine adjustments to focus.

Views of M13 and M27 were a delight as was the quick views i had of of M57 AND M92.

I just hope i can get my alignment and tracking issues sorted soon, so i can start capturing some long exposure DSO images.

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (06/04/11 07:15 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35395

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics