Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4633483 - 06/11/11 09:32 AM

I went outside around 3am and the skies were clear. The Milky Way has started to really stand out these past mornings

I was interested in how my southern exposure looked now, compared to before removing those two trees. Prior to removing those trees, Antares would be behind the trees along with Scorpius tail. But now the entire constellation is visible which made me one happy camper.

Since the lowest star in Scorpius tail is at 13 degrees, would I now be able to see Omega Centauri? Hopefully tonight I'll find out!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4633518 - 06/11/11 09:51 AM

I'm glad I checked the The SkyX for time the when Omega Centauri(13 degrees) will be at it's highest point in the southern sky, which is around 9:30pm. It was around 3am, but that was a couple of months back when Febstars mentioned that he saw it during the WSP.

You'll notice on the last pic that I posted, there is a gap on either side of the red cinder. The gap to the right gives me the lowest sight towards the south.

I just hope to have a clear view w/o any clouds tonight!!!

Edited by flboy (06/11/11 09:52 AM)

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #4633764 - 06/11/11 11:49 AM

No chance of any viewing for the next few days.

The weather was lovely and clear this morning. Now, some 7 hours later in the late afternoon, the sky is 9/10ths covered and there is an Atlantic blow heading in from West which means rain & winds. Forecast is for it to be like this for the next few days

Still, the reservoirs and gardens could do with the water!

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #4633811 - 06/11/11 12:12 PM

Hi John,

The last time I saw Omega Cent, it got to about 10-12 deg above the horizon. Of course I was a bit further north than you at about 30.9 deg. You are about 29 deg so it should be a bit higher for you. But I would say probably no more than 15 deg above horizon. Is that going to clear the trees? I sure hope so - it is a stunning sight to behold!

Edited by Skip (06/11/11 12:14 PM)

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4633834 - 06/11/11 12:26 PM

Hi Skip,

You're correct, I'm at 29 degrees. I was able to see the lowest star in Scorpius which was at 13 degrees and it was just on top of the trees. Omega Centauri will be at 13 degrees according to The SkyX & Stellarium at around 9:30pm, so it should be just above the trees. There is a decent size gap between the ciders which gets me down to around 11 degrees.

With a little luck, hopefully I'll be able to see it. It's worth the challenge from what I've read and seen of NGC5139.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4633900 - 06/11/11 12:46 PM

Hi John,

Just be sure to keep the kids away from you when you look at it. There just might be an expletive that jumps out when you first see it. There was for me!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #4634169 - 06/11/11 03:25 PM

I will not of coarse, be able to see Omega Centauri, mores the pity, (I'm located at 53deg) but if I manage to get out tonight, I will have done five nights on the trot.
I've been observing the Moon, with the odd peek at Saturn, since it was a few days old and I've enjoyed every minutes of it.
The weather has not been to good but large breaks in the clouds allowed for some good long viewing spells. The wind has been quite strong too but the POD has provided good protection.

Good luck with Omega Centauri John. Lets know what you think of it.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4634800 - 06/11/11 11:21 PM

At 9:06pm Omega Centauri(NGC5139) was just starting to go between the two red cedars. (Note: Omega Centauri was between the opening of the trees for 35 minutes.)

The seeing was poor and so was the transparency. The moon was almost directly over Omega Centauri and it gave off too much light. Plus there was a high,thin lay of clouds coming of a high pressure system over the Gulf.

Using the Precise GoTo's with the 24mm, 13mm, 9mm & 6mm EP's; I could not see Omega Centauri. The scope was tracking in a nice open area with no obstructions, but no Omega Centauri in the EP Oh yeah, I used both The SkyX & Stellarium to verify the alt and everything matched.

I'll try again around the 22nd when the moon is coming up later. At least I found out that I'm able to see 13 degrees for 35 minutes

I also took a few videos for Skip. For a 2 second video, the file size was 8.86MB. For a 5 second video it was 22MB. The next was a 30 second @ 132MB which was too large to email. It's sure fun learning file size, time, fps, etc

Edited by flboy (06/11/11 11:22 PM)

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4634821 - 06/11/11 11:38 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Here's an image of the moon through a high layer of clouds with poor seeing & poor transparency. NexImage 10fps for 30 seconds, no barlow. RegiStax 6.

Edited by flboy (06/11/11 11:39 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #4635006 - 06/12/11 03:41 AM

Hi John,

Despite the adverse conditions, that's a great image ! The measure is that you don't have to look too hard to see those three main craterlets on Plato's flat plain !

Best regards,
Tel

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Tel]
      #4635076 - 06/12/11 06:23 AM

Thanks Tel for sharing where the above image was taken. I just slewed along the terminator until I found something of interest. I see Bliss really does stand out

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4635141 - 06/12/11 08:33 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Hi Skip,

Here's what I came up with processing that 5 second video @ 10fps.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4635221 - 06/12/11 09:52 AM

Hi John,

as well as Plato that Tel mentioned you also captured one of my favorites lunar features which is Sinus Iridum (Bay of Rainbows) with the crater ,Bianchini, showing very well.

Nice work John.

Regards,

Tom.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4635293 - 06/12/11 10:31 AM

Thanks Tom!

Since my knowledge of the lunar surface is limited, I got out my moon map and I realize that the webcam w/o a Barlow captures a fairly decent size area of the lunar surface.

Starting from the top right I can see Mare Frigoris, Plato, Mons Pico, Montes Teneriffe(northern part of the Mare Imbrium), Bliss, Montes Recti, la Condamine, Maupertuis, Bouguer, Bianchini, Montes Jura, Promontorium Laplace(Sinus Iridum).

Pretty cool stuff

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4635307 - 06/12/11 10:40 AM

Hi John,

yes, theres such a lot in that FOV you got, under good conditions and with a 2X or 3X barlow it would be a great test to see if you can get those craterlets on Plato`s floor showing as craterlets properly as Alex did some time ago, for me its been my Nemesis, i have captured them, but not well so far, still to do at some time! In fact they show up better in your image above than i have managed

Here`s my best image of Plato, the craterlets are only just showing though, they are clearer in yours i think.

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (06/12/11 10:53 AM)

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4635316 - 06/12/11 10:49 AM

And Tom, if you saw my skies last night, you probably would not have even tried any imaging. It was that nasty. But it does go to show how powerful these SCT's are even under poor seeing conditions.

I do miss our dark, clear winter nights, but I enjoy sitting out under the stars with just a pair of gym shorts on

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4635490 - 06/12/11 12:26 PM

Hi John,

Good image and thanks for the 5 sec video. Plato and Pico are a couple more of my favorite places on the moon. When I get a chance to do the processing, I'll post my results as well.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4635736 - 06/12/11 02:53 PM

Hi Skip,

I was really surprised at how much memory was used for such a short video. But there is definitively enough frames to play with RegiStax.

Good luck!!!

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4636011 - 06/12/11 06:30 PM

Oh crud! I posted the results of my stumbling around in R6 and PS over here.

Thanks again, John!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Skip]
      #4636609 - 06/13/11 06:36 AM

Hi Skip,

After comparing my processed image & yours, You definitely pulled out more details than I. Yours is an overall sharper image. Congrats on your 1st try @ RegiStax 6 & PS.

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35806

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics