Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4648799 - 06/20/11 10:40 AM

Quote:

Hi Tom,

Newbie question: I was reading your post and was wondering why you don't use your 6" refractor for DSO imaging? And why do you use a smaller refractor for DSO?

Many thanks!!!

Firstly John, thanks for your report,since i have been unable to get out with current weather conditions, its always nice to read others reports!

In response to your question regarding the 6" refractor and why i dont use it for astro imaging, well in fact i do if shooting Lunar or Planetary, i just have`nt done much of that lately since my focus has been more on DSO work.

The 6" f/8 refractor does bring up other issues in that when shooting near the Zenith, its a most uncomfortable scope to use either for observing or imaging with, the length of the OTA is about 4ft long, so when looking toward the zenith the eyepiece is pretty close to the ground,which has in the past seen me practically laying down on the floor to observe, i`m getting to old for that now,LOL.however i do use it mostly as said for high power lunar and planetary imaging when the occasion calls for it.

The smaller short tube refractors are much more suitable for my DSO work, in that the ST80 gives a wider field view at f/5, ideal for DSO work such as imaging, my new ED80 is a f/7.5 and therefore gives a narrower FOV but with an added 0.5 reducer again gives a wider FOV, plus, being short tube refractors makes observing less painful!

regards,

Tom.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4648938 - 06/20/11 11:38 AM

Hi Tom,

Laying on the ground to look through your EP isn't fun at any age

Thanks for explanation!

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #4649395 - 06/20/11 03:46 PM

Surely that depends who is laying on the ground with you John

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4650512 - 06/21/11 07:29 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Happy 1st Day of Summer

At 6:45am the Moon was at my meridian and the skies were clear, so I decided to compare the Nagler 13T6 vs the UO 12.5mm Ortho. So I set-up the TV85 on the SLT mount. The UO Ortho seemed to be a slightly clearer than the Nagler, but just slightly. Overall they're about even in views through my old eyes I guess my real comparison will come when Jupiter arrives later this yr since the 13mm is more suited for Jupiter. I ordered a used 9mm UO Ortho which will be here Wednesday. I believe Saturn will show a better comparison with the 9mm than the 13mm. We'll see

While I had everything set-up, I decided to take a quick image of the Moon via the refractor. I could not make out the Moon via the AmCap screen, so I checked the "Full Auto" box and bang, there it was. I also noted that the brightness was around 50% with the gain @ zero and the fps @ 15. Oh yeah, since I readjusted the backlash settings, the scope's tracking was spot-on. The Moon stayed in one spot for the entire capture.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4650527 - 06/21/11 07:40 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

I was a little too conservative when using the wavelets on the 1st image. This image was more aggressive on the wavelets

Capture info: NexImage, w/o Barlow, 60 second capture @ 15fps, processed through RegiStax 6.

Edited by flboy (06/21/11 07:43 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #4650578 - 06/21/11 08:43 AM

Hi John,

To my eyes, the second image is sharper, the contrast is better, and it shows more detail.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4650582 - 06/21/11 08:44 AM

Hey Peter,

Mine too

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4650600 - 06/21/11 08:58 AM

Good catch John, although i cannot make my mind up which i like most, i like the first one but think it needed a little wavelet adjustment, as you did, i liked the second one for the same reasons as Peter, but perhaps its just adjusted a "tad" too much which introduced more noise, did you use the denoise tabs in registax when you adjusted wavelets to try and remove the noise??

Either way and as said,nice catch John,

regards,

Tom.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4650608 - 06/21/11 09:03 AM

Hi Tom,

No, I did not use the denoise tabs this time because they then to take a lot of time to process just a few ticks. So this morning I just did a quick run through RegiStax.

May be later this afternoon I'll play with the denoise tabs and see what comes about.

Thanks!

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #4651047 - 06/21/11 01:33 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Nice photos John, #2 is the best by a Nat's whisker.. As for Summer, over here in Cumbria we have not had a clear night for over 2 month....

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4651070 - 06/21/11 01:44 PM

Sorry Geoff to hear that your weather still hasn't cleared. Hopefully soon!!!

Thanks for your kind words!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4654087 - 06/23/11 07:14 AM

Last night was rather clear, but there was a large thunderstorm SW of me and the lighting/flashes were so bright that I didn't want to look through the scope and get blinded by a stray bolt. So I grabbed the pool raft and laid on it on top of my deck. I got out the sky map and red flash light and just started to scan the sky. It was nice to see a number of constellations for the first time via the naked eye.

But the real reason I'm writing is to share how the airplane traffic has completely changed since winter. During the winter, our skies are fairly busy with airplanes flying in and out of OIA(Orlando Int'l Airport). But now that the heat has been turned way up, the amount of airplanes flying overhead has decrease by 20 fold. Over the past couple of weeks, I probably see 3 planes each night where during the winter I'd see 3 planes every 15 to 20 minutes. And yes, winter is our busy snowbird time of the year, but to notice this reduction really shows how many people do fly into FL during those cold months.

Plus it's much safer using the GLP now than over the winter.

Edited by flboy (06/23/11 07:19 AM)

Greg Keys
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Deltona, FL
      #4655512 - 06/24/11 12:06 AM

John, some of what you notice is due to prevailing winds shifting in the summer. This changes the approach at both daytona and Sanford into airports.
We have the wonderful luck of being situated amongst THREE major airports, two of which have approaches directly over my house depending on the wind directions

Greg Keys
scholastic sledgehammer

#4655516 - 06/24/11 12:08 AM

That lightning was really lighting up my s/w view... Bright stuff...

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Greg Keys]
      #4655737 - 06/24/11 06:36 AM

Thanks for your input Greg!

And yes, that thunderhead had a ton of bright flashes. I could only image what a lighting flash would do to our eyes when looking through the EP.

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4659772 - 06/26/11 01:23 PM

Frustrating past two weeks. We're into T-storm season now, and things can change from clear skies to black in 30 minutes. Last night was looking great. Set up around 8pm, ready to go by dusk. Great transparency. Stars popping to the naked eye all over the place. Seeing, not so good- lots of boiling stars. Got about a nice hour or so, and the clouds moved in. Just want to get a nice night where I can do 3 or so hours uninterrupted.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4660988 - 06/27/11 07:55 AM

Summer is here and so are the clouds. We need the rain and it's starting to arrive

This is my 1st summer with a telescope and between the heat, humidity and clouds, I do not see much viewing in store during this season.

I have taken to laying on my raft w/sky map & red flashlight, when the clouds allow, and I have enjoyed hiking across the night sky via the naked-eye. The longer I'm out, the more I get to see; like when I was looking at The Great Bear(Ursa Major). At first I could not make out every star, but after a few minutes more & more stars became visible.

So even though it doesn't look like I'll be using my scope much this summer, at least there's still plenty to look at via the naked-eye.

Greg Keys
scholastic sledgehammer

#4661059 - 06/27/11 09:10 AM

John,
The old adage, early to bed, early to rise comes into play here. If the forecast looks good, crash out about 8pm, and set your alarm for 2am. Cooler temps, very dark, and a couple of good hours before the early dawn light starts. By 5:30am, back to bed for a quick nap.....

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Greg Keys]
      #4661068 - 06/27/11 09:17 AM

Hi Greg,

I've been checking the early morning hours each day, but since this new system came in, we haven't had clear enough skies even to set-up the small refractor.

Hopefully we'll get some clearer skies soon

Greg Keys
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: flboy]
      #4661076 - 06/27/11 09:21 AM

Yep, and it looks light that will be the story for the rest of the week too... summer in Florida

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35802

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics