Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Greg Keys]
      #4664489 - 06/29/11 08:39 AM

Tommorow night (Thursday) is looking awesome on my CSC - hope to get out there! There's been a lot of disappointing "teasers" lately - CSC looks good, but sky does not cooperate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BruceG

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: Apex/N. Topsail Island NC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Greg Keys]
      #4664733 - 06/29/11 11:48 AM

Frustration this summer for sure. I haven't used the telescope for weeks and my area is so light polluted that skies are just not getting dark enough while I'm awake to make viewing worth while. Clouds are constant with clear patches now and again but nothing I can count on given time required for the SE8 to adjust to the heat. I'm bringing home my binoculars from the beach in hopes of at least getting in some viewing.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BruceG]
      #4664898 - 06/29/11 01:29 PM

We have had 100+ heat and it hangs around until almost 10 or 10:30 every night. I just can't get the energy to go out there in that heat even though the skies have been clear (for the most part). Last night the humidity was a little higher and it was especially miserable. We desperately need rain and a cooling trend!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4665043 - 06/29/11 02:33 PM

We finally started getting some decent rains three days go. We need a topical depression to sit over us for about 4 to 5 days to break our drought.

Our skies have been cloudy or patchy at best, so viewing has been a "no go" situation. This is what I was expecting during the summer months, but I'll take the occasional clear night when ever they arrive.

I do miss those cold winter nights when our skies are at their darkest, plus it gets dark really early

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4665345 - 06/29/11 05:14 PM

Hey John, I'm missing those cool winter nights too!!!!

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4665917 - 06/29/11 10:53 PM

Yeah, so am I....but the skies finally cleared up tonight. Taking a bit of a break to cool off. But I've seen a ton of stuff. M5, M13, M4....Bode's Nebula, Ring Nebula, Cat's Eye Nebula....Whirlpool and Sombrero Galaxies, plus most of the Virgo Supercluster down to about mag 9.8. Most of the Virgo Supercluster are faint fuzzies, but they should be very nice with the Mallincam when it arrives. The Whirlpool will be fabulous. It's giant. Takes up almost half the FOV with a Nagler 16mm eyepiece. The Ring and Cat's Eye Nebulae are two of my new summer favorites. Double Double looks superb in the 16mm, both centered in the FOV nicely. Albireo practically screams at you, and tonight, it's easy to see with the naked eye even in my light polluted skies. Porrima is a pretty easy split tonight with the 16mm Nagler- it's that stable outside. The only thing I can't seem to do is resolve the triple star 35 Com. I can get two, but I can't get the third. Antares still hidden behind trees, but I have to get at elevation- the Omega Cluster will be visible on the horizon if I can. Will go back out shortly and find the Blinking Planet, Deneb and maybe just scan through the middle of the Milky Way. What a great night- makes the long wait for the skies to clear almost worth it.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4666251 - 06/30/11 06:59 AM

CSC still looks awesome for tonight! I plan to get out and do some imaging. Gotta think about targets today.

-Dan

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4666302 - 06/30/11 07:52 AM

Nice report Tony. Pleased you manage a night out at last.

Good luck for tonight Dan. Hope all goes well.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4666565 - 06/30/11 10:58 AM

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!!!!

We just had a nice thunderstorm pass through dropping 1.5 inches of rain in 25 minutes!! Hooray

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4666764 - 06/30/11 12:39 PM

Oh man! I'm jealous. Send some our way John.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4666774 - 06/30/11 12:45 PM

Skip ~ Too bad Arlene didn't move closer to you. I see you're around 102F and a 90F pool doesn't really cool you off much. Mine got up to 88F but then the rains came and it's now around 82F, which feel just right

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4667200 - 06/30/11 05:21 PM

CSC looks good here, too Dan. Transparency and seeing both 4/5, with cloudless skies. Will try to move the observing position around tonight so I can see more of the western skies....like to catch some of the stuff in Cancer and Leo before it disappears for the summer.

Can't believe how bright the Ring Nebula shows up as. It's listed as mag 9 or so, but it just pops at you in the eyepiece. It's much easier to make out than the 6.9 mag Bode's Nebula. Just this huge blue ring...it looks great. The CPC1100 is super for these DSO's. The SV80L does a great job on planets and double stars, but it's nowhere near the 1100 on DSO's. Not even close.

Edited by ac1 (06/30/11 05:24 PM)

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4667227 - 06/30/11 05:37 PM

John (and gang) - This weekend (4th), some old friends are coming over for beer, brats, and swimming. It will be hot, but I think I'll drag out the scope(s) and throw a little star party for them. They have a 17 yo son - who I last saw when he was 3 !! He (according to his mom) is interested in astronomy. They also have a 13 yo boy who is also interested. Should be fun. I'll just have to be careful not to suck down too many brewskis. I'll need to be able to focus my eyeballs.

Edited by Skip (06/30/11 05:38 PM)

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #4667281 - 06/30/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

John (and gang) - This weekend (4th), some old friends are coming over for beer, brats, and swimming. It will be hot, but I think I'll drag out the scope(s) and throw a little star party for them. They have a 17 yo son - who I last saw when he was 3 !! He (according to his mom) is interested in astronomy. They also have a 13 yo boy who is also interested. Should be fun. I'll just have to be careful not to suck down too many brewskis. I'll need to be able to focus my eyeballs.

Not to mention that observing is best done whilst in a vertical orientation!

Having a party plus introducing youngsters to the delights of the heavens - sounds like fun.

Have a blast Skip!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4668064 - 07/01/11 07:37 AM

Sounds like a great time Skip! How humid is it? Or do you have a dry heat in Dallas?

I've found(maybe you can confirm)that during the early evening & at night how much cooler it feels outside after coming out of the pool, even when the pool water is @ 90F if it's 100F outside. Having water on your skin feels cool with the slights breeze.

We ended up getting a total of 2.5" yesterday and more on the way

But unfortunately, neither scope is getting used.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #4668121 - 07/01/11 08:46 AM

Watch to the west John, another batch entering Pinellas and Pasco counties. Looks like we'll be wet all morning.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #4668157 - 07/01/11 09:18 AM

Absolutely astounding night last night! I was going to do AP, but it was a work night and I had other things to do so no time to set up. I just got the 8SE out and enjoyed the night. I'm REALLY glad I did! I posted a new but way-too-long note about it.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to spend some time and get set up for AP. It's supposed to be just as good out there tonight!

-Dan

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4668403 - 07/01/11 11:58 AM

Hi John ~ It's partly sunny now, but I do see the clouds forming to the west. I hope for at least another inch today. Plants look happy this morning with their leafs fully extended instead of drooping over

Hi Dan ~ you answered my question AP tonight!!!

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4668450 - 07/01/11 12:36 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a great time Skip! How humid is it? Or do you have a dry heat in Dallas?

Well, John, it is not as dry as the desert, but quite a bit dryer than Florida (at least the Tampa area, where I lived for 3 years). During the hottest part of the day, it runs around 20-30%. Early in the morning, it can be higher (~50%) But the sun dries the air out pretty fast. Of course all that is variable. It is driest just after passage of a cold (well, cool ) front and highest just before the front's arrival. But except for the days that the thunderbumpers are exploding, humidity is seldom much of a problem. Glad you are getting much needed rain! We are in what is being termed an EXCEPTIONAL drought. That's the worst you can get.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Skip]
      #4668587 - 07/01/11 02:03 PM

I know Texas is in a bad situation and hopefully a nice tropical storm will give some much needed relief

You(TX) are much drier than us(FL). Our humidity is at 66% right now and is forecast to be 84% tonight. With my AC set @ 79F, my humidity inside is 53%.

So viewing at 100F with <50% humidity is much more doable than sitting outside @ 78F at 85% humidity.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35337

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics