Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4669631 - 07/02/11 07:54 AM

HI,
Didn't manage last night but got an hour and a half in this morning. (Sat 4th) Happy Independence Day to all my U.S friends.

Had a good look at Sun spot 1243 which was the only one I could make out. It's a good big spot with three small spot running of it. It showed good detail with the zoom at 16mm (127ish)

Turn my attention to Jupiter next. Used the polerizsed filter to good effect. The Northern and Southern bands showed up well.
Didn't have too long look, as the clouds got the better of me after 20 minutes or so.
Still, it was nice to be at the eyepiece.

Regards. Peter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4669639 - 07/02/11 08:06 AM

Sat 4th???

me thinks not Peter,

Regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4669654 - 07/02/11 08:27 AM

Now you don't get many better than that Tom.

I've not turned my calendar over next to the computer so it's still on June. I just glanced up at the first Saturday which just happened to be the 4th.

Does that mean I have to do it again on Monday?

Silly me.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (07/02/11 08:34 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4669665 - 07/02/11 08:37 AM

Your not the first or last to have done that Peter, been there done that myself,LOL.

Anyway, Happy "upcoming" 4th of July to our American friends

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (07/02/11 08:38 AM)

hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
      #4671303 - 07/03/11 07:49 AM

Clear skies at long last in Northern Ireland, but it was far too bright to do any observing. However, there was a superb noctilucent cloud display this morning, which my mate managed to photograph. Enjoy. The castle is Carrickfergus Castle in county Antrim.

http://eaas.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=observing&thread=3674&page=1

Edited by hal2000 (07/03/11 07:51 AM)

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4671310 - 07/03/11 07:56 AM

Hi Stevie,

Those are some sweet images! Thanks for sharing.

I walked outside at 10:30pm and the skies were clear. Just as I was about to walk inside to get the scope, this meteorite streaked across the sky with a long, yellow tail. I've seen many shooting stars(small meteorites), but I can not remember ever seeing such a large & long yellow tail before. It only lasted 2 or 3 seconds, but it was enough time to awe me

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
      #4680723 - 07/08/11 09:56 AM

Now I know how some of you guys felt over this past winter as we are now into our rainy season. Yesterday it rained steady from 2pm until past 11pm. We got just over an inch and everything(grass, plants, trees) are looking full & healthy. Just a week ago the leafs were drooping, the grass was crunchy to walk on and the leafs were curled. And then we got 2.5"s last Thursday, which was the 1st real drink that they've had in some time.

But with the rains comes the clouds. We had a few clear early mornings, but that has all changed. So it's my turn to sit back and enjoy all of those wonderful viewing reports and images of the summer sky.

And as a side note: I rather have clouds & rain, than extreme droughts and major brush fires. The St. Johns river is at record lows and so are many lakes. So having this tropical system come through is short of a blessing.

Please continue posting your "light reports"

Edited by flboy (07/08/11 09:57 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4681026 - 07/08/11 12:39 PM

We are in a period of unsettled weather here in West Yorkshire and its been over 10 days since I was last out observing.

I took a chance last night during a break in the clouds to have a look at the Moon at around 21.00. I managed 15 minutes of viewing before the heavens opened again. Luckily, I can close the PODs doom in under five seconds, which was just as well last night.

So far, things are looking good for tomorrow night fingers crossed.

Regards Peter.

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4682160 - 07/08/11 11:00 PM

Like John in Florida, we're in the midst of thunderstorm season now. We need the rain like crazy, but it's getting a bit nuts- rains every single day, especially around dusk. Still waiting for the big boomer that clears the muck out of the sky. Hasn't happened yet. Muck followed by more muck thus far.

Peter, the POD has "doom?" I hope you mean "dome." I don't want anyone to suffer from "doom." And why is your weather always so *BLEEP* over there? Geez, I hope you and our fellow Brits/Euros catch a break soon.

Tony

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4682505 - 07/09/11 05:44 AM

Hi Tony

Quote:

And why is your weather always so *BLEEP* over there?

It's 'cos our weather predominantly comes from the west and west of the UK for some 2,500-3,000 miles is the Atlantic Ocean. Plus the North Atlantic Drift (aka Gulf Stream) hits the UK from the south west. Hence the air arrives both warm and moist. Couple that with the fact that we have a range of hills running north-south down the centre of the country (the Pennines) and it dumps rain on the western slopes (Cumbria, Lancashire, Manchester, Liverpool, etc). On the eastern side of the Pennines, we have the North Sea and then the Eurpoean continent. That means cold continental air. When the warm, moist air from the west hits that, we get more rain. Net result, the UK has lots of rain.

At least that's how I understand it.

hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4682527 - 07/09/11 06:18 AM

Tony

Art forgot to mention, the rains from the Atlantic need somewhere to practise first, so they dump on the first land available - Ireland. Meteorologists have started using a new term in recent years to describe the phenomenom in late spring and early summer, the European monsoon.

Although, to be fair, without the Gulf Stream, Ireland and the UK would be as cold and frozen as Newfoundland or Northern Russia during winter. That never happens. It's just wet and cloudy. It's only when high pressure zones push up from the Azores that the UK gets good summer weather. That usually happens at some point during most summers, but prolonged spells, over 4 weeks, would only happen every 10 years or so.

The best observing in the UK is usually to be had in autumn, so most UK amateurs would know the autumn skies quite well, from Cygnus round to Orion. Most of the great summer constellations are lost to us most of the time, like Sagittarius and Scorpio (which never fully rises over the UK anyway). I have only ever seen M6 from Ireland once, and that was on the south coast near Cork. It's too cloudy in spring, too bright in summer, and fading into the south-west by Autumn.

Edited by hal2000 (07/09/11 06:37 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4682556 - 07/09/11 07:03 AM

Quote:

Like John in Florida, we're in the midst of thunderstorm season now. We need the rain like crazy, but it's getting a bit nuts- rains every single day, especially around dusk. Still waiting for the big boomer that clears the muck out of the sky. Hasn't happened yet. Muck followed by more muck thus far.

Peter, the POD has "doom?" I hope you mean "dome." I don't want anyone to suffer from "doom." And why is your weather always so *BLEEP* over there? Geez, I hope you and our fellow Brits/Euros catch a break soon.

Tony

Dome it is Tony.

Perhaps my mind was on the weather, which is a bit DOOM and glum at the moment.

In Yorkshire we are well protected by the Pennine Range when the wind is from the West, but the wind has been coming from the South or South West which does not offer as much protection.

Never mind, tonight is still looking good. Hope your weather takes a turn for the better soon.

Regards. Peter.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #4682645 - 07/09/11 08:44 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

One other thing that prevents me from observing during the Summer Months is the twilight.....

These photos were taken last Month (June) at 23-00hrs BST, from my back garden....

'

THEPLOUGH

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4682647 - 07/09/11 08:46 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

The first one is looking North-West

This one is South-east

THEPLOUGH

#4682649 - 07/09/11 08:48 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Last but not least... Where Polaris should be....

THEPLOUGH

#4682660 - 07/09/11 08:56 AM

It gets dark/ish at around 02-00hrs, then starts to get light at 03.30... Not any targets worth viewing in that time frame from my location... Things do start too get better by the end of this Month, but it's August before things really get better....

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4682661 - 07/09/11 08:56 AM

Thought i could see Polaris in that image Geoff, turned out to be fly poo on my screen,

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (07/09/11 08:57 AM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #4682734 - 07/09/11 09:47 AM

Geoff:

Wow! Thought I had it bad with astronomical twilight not ending till 11pm. But as you can see from light/dark areas for this time of year, you don't have to move very far north before you run out of dark!
http://www.worldtimezone.com/datetime.html

In fact, looking up your particular location, looks like you never get darker than astronomical twilight at this time of year!

-Dan

THEPLOUGH

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4682769 - 07/09/11 10:07 AM

That's the problem Dan. Light and rain all summer, rain and more rain followed by clouds all winter. It don't leave a lot of time for observing....

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4682924 - 07/09/11 11:22 AM

Same "light" conditions here Geoff. I'm out tonight, hopefully, to observe the Moon, with Saturn as a bonus if viewable.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35333

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics