Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)
Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4683303 - 07/09/11 02:52 PM

You guys with domes do have an advantage though.

If you get some luminous paint, you can paint the constellations on the inside of the dome and keep yourself amused for hours whilst the rain drums incessantly on the roof!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4683770 - 07/09/11 07:50 PM

Quote:

You guys with domes do have an advantage though.

If you get some luminous paint, you can paint the constellations on the inside of the dome and keep yourself amused for hours whilst the rain drums incessantly on the roof!!

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4683864 - 07/09/11 08:56 PM

Holy cow. That's England's "dark sky?" I knew you guys were up there in latitude, but I had no idea you were in competition with Alaska or Iceland.

I'm soon going to around 43 degrees N from 34N....I'm sure that will negatively affect nighttime twilight in the summer months. I'm also very certain that a lot of the winter nights I enjoyed down here last year will be replaced with me wearing a penguin suit trying to stay warm for 10 minutes....better get that shed modified to be an observatory, or I can almost cross the winter months off.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4684711 - 07/10/11 10:51 AM

Quote:

a lot of the winter nights I enjoyed down here last year will be replaced with me wearing a penguin suit trying to stay warm for 10 minutes

Welcome to my world!

-Dan

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4684745 - 07/10/11 11:14 AM

Central UK is about the same as James Bay, CA or the south end of Hudson Bay. Only 15 further north is the Arctic Circle.

At 43N, you can start earlier in the evening or sleep longer in the morning. I've been at 63N at Christmas and you can still observe after a regular breakfast or before supper. However, you will have to be in full penguin attire.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #4684928 - 07/10/11 12:42 PM

Quote:

Same "light" conditions here Geoff. I'm out tonight, hopefully, to observe the Moon, with Saturn as a bonus if viewable.

Regards. Peter.

Well, I nipped out at around 20.30 to catch the Moon and Saturn before they dropped too low. I again used my polerized filter to very good effect
Ended up staying out until 23.30. I observed this for a bit and then that for a while, spilt a few double stars as it got darker, had a go at M3 and M5 etc.

Had a lovely relaxing night.

Regards. Peter.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #4685002 - 07/10/11 01:13 PM

That sounds nice Peter. I pushed it here to 5AM as the skies were decent. I was mainly waiting for Andromeda and Jupiter to rise high enough in my backyard sky to view for the first time. Andromeda was a treat but was really excited to see Jupiter and the Galileo moons! Jupiter looked great with bands nice and sharp. What a sight! Looked great with Barlow too. I took a chance and tried the Neximage cam for the first time and got it up and running and shot some video. I need to plug it into Registax to see how well it went. I tried with the 2x Barlow in-line but had a hard time seeing definition.

It was a wonderful evening but I am tired! Sunset to sunrise!

George

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ghataa]
      #4685284 - 07/10/11 03:19 PM

Hi George,

When imaging via the Neximage and using a Barlow, you won't see much detail until you process the avi file through RegiStax 6. Then bang, there it is; cloud bands and all

Please post your images.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4708711 - 07/23/11 02:13 PM

I had planned to observe last night but the skies did not clear as they had been forecast to do.

Tonight though, is looking much better. It's not completely clear, but it's doing it's best. All being well, I'll be filling my flask around 23.00hrs.

Regards. Peter

hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
      #4708935 - 07/23/11 04:33 PM

I'm just heading out for what is an almost unprecedented third night in a row.
I have to 'fess up,I got a new Orion XT10i on Thursday, and I've been giving it a good run out,excellent so far, superb optics and the push-to function is easy to use and quite accurate.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4709853 - 07/24/11 07:12 AM

Hi Steve,

Hope you had ANOTHER good nigts viewing. Three in a row, now that's going some.

My night didn't quite work out as planned. The sky just would not clear.
At first (23.00) there was thin vail clouds almost everywhere. I sat and waited and by 23.45ish, it had changed to patchy cloud. Unfortunately, there were more clouds than clear patches, the wind had got up and the clear patches were not lasting long.
Rather than be beaten, and so as not to waste a full flask, I reached for the Bino's and spent a further two hours observing any clear patches that materialized through them.

I finally called it a draw at around 01.45 after a different, but most enjoyable, nights observing.

Hope others had better luck.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4736509 - 08/08/11 07:42 AM

What a wonderful night.

The skies cleared unexpectedly, so I went out around 20.35 to observe the Moon before it got too low in the sky for me to see. Sunset was at 20.53ish and by 21.30 I had lost the Moon, below my garden fence, but it was dark enough for me to do a re-alignment after changes made in the dome.
Alignment was successful (Polaris and Arcturus) and the sky was begining to darken and clearing right down to the horizon.
Nipped inside to make a quick flask, (in semi darkness) as by then I realised I had a really good night coming up.

Being such a good night and clear to the horizon I just had to take advantage and observe in the Sagittarius, Scutum, Serpens area to begin with, as they are always low in my skies, making them not the easiest of targets at the best of times.
By 22.30 the sky was so clear and the seeing so good that just about anything was up for grabs. I was observing objects at mags I had to got down to for many a long time at this time of the year. Although not truly dark, (compared to later in the year at this time of night,) I glimpsed M26, which is good for the zone I'm in,(Officially Orange) although I'm in a suburb which is quite a bit darker.
After a most enjoyable nights observing, I finally closed the Dream-Maker at around 02.00 after visits to Cygnus, Lyra, Vulpecula etc, observing many new objects and many old favorites too. M57 was particularly good.
I looked up as I closed the dome and the sky was alive with stars. I stood a further 20 mins or so, wanting to take full advantage of one of those rare nights we only experience every now and then, and especially at this time of the year.
I was tired and aching a little,(and my flask was empty) but who cares, it was a night not to be missed.

Would be interested to hear if any other U.K members had a similar experience last night.

Regards. Peter.

P.S Sorry for all the edits. Posted in haste due to having to dash out having forgotten an appointment.
Should have deleted and done a re-write really.

Edited by Peter9 (08/08/11 03:46 PM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4736861 - 08/08/11 12:14 PM

Hi Peter,

great report and happy to hear you had some clear skies,i myself having returned from my holiday in Wales only on Saturday,had not re-mounted my heq5 on the pillar mount or set up my scopes until today, so any clear spells were missed by me, i`m not sure if it cleared last night here in the midlands, but certainly it was still overcast at around 10pm.

I have ordered my Baader 7nm 1.25" Ha filter today and it should arrive tomorrow, then as soon as i get a clear sky i can try my hand at Ha imaging with my Mono Atik ccd.Quite looking forward to this kind of imaging!

Regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4736904 - 08/08/11 12:34 PM

Thanks Tom.

Good luck with the Ha imaging. I'm sure you will be posting the results of your efforts, if and when.

Regards. Peter.

hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
      #4743146 - 08/11/11 09:19 PM

Nice report Peter, I'm glad you managed to get a good night out. Needless to say, those three nights spoiled me, I haven't been out since due to seriously depressing weather. No chance of seeing a perseid this weekend, the forecast is still terrible.
But my mate reminded me today that the last two autumns have both been excellent, after miserable summers, so here's hoping.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #4743973 - 08/12/11 11:02 AM

Hi Peter,

Great report. I like reading these and imagining I'm there observing with you in cool England.

Our triple digit temp string broke yesterday - only 97F for the high! Brrr... 40 consecutive days! Today supposed to get back up there though. Some around here are depressed that we didn't break the 1980 string of 42. Not me! I'm sure there are many more trip-dig days left this summer. August is often our hottest month here in North Texas. Gets dark-ish now around 9PM, but temps are still often 100+. It is tough to get motivated to go out and set up at those temps.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4744039 - 08/12/11 11:50 AM

Down here in Carrizo Springs, it was 101 at 9:30 pm last night. And yet for some reason, cloudy the last few days and nights. I guess the weather knew my SE 8 came in this week, but little did it know, that I wouldn't have it with me.

On a lighter note, I am set to go home tomorrow or Sunday due to family reasons, one being the 1st sonogram of my wife with our new budle of joy, and later that day, going to the court so the adoption of her little girl by me will be complete. My last name will grow by 2 (or more) on the same day. Nice thing to go home too.
Oh yea, not to mention the 8 SE still in the boxes.

First light report, HOPEFULLY by the end of this weekend. And Skip, try to stay cool up there, I know its almost unbearable down here.

Thanks,
- Matt

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4744224 - 08/12/11 01:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words Skip.

I feel it for you re the weather you are experiencing over such a long period. Hopefully, it will come to an end soon and you can think about observing again. Hang on in there.
It's usually the cold of winter that makes us here in the U.K hesitate. At this time of year, the amount of daylight, as with you, is a problem. Temp wise, it's really good, given the conditions I had on the 7th and clear skies.

Hi Matt,

Good luck with everything that is happening at home for you. Sounds like you are one happy chappy. Hope all goes well for you and your (new) family.

Treat that 8se with care. Look forward to reading your first light report.

Regards. Peter.

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4744993 - 08/12/11 09:36 PM

Peter, you've been having a nice string of nights lately, huh? Good. Glad for you.

It's hot, humid and stormy here. Got my first night out in about 17 days two nights ago. I'm amazed at how much the position of objects in the sky change in such a short time. By 10 pm or so, Vega is at the zenith...two months ago, I had to sit outside to around 2 am just to catch it coming over the roof. Still can't see all the good stuff in Scorpius, though, and Andromeda still doesn't get high enough.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #4746564 - 08/13/11 08:01 PM

Well, Peter, yesterday it got to 103. This morning I woke to the sound of ... RAIN!! Got maybe an inch this morning and it has been cloudy all day. Rosie and I went out in the rain this morning. She laid by the driveway gate and enjoyed the rain. I stayed out with her for several minutes just trying to gety reacquainted with what rain is. Temps only got to the high 80s this afternoon! Very humid, but man oh man, this is a real relief! We are a long way from breaking this horrible drought, but every drop helps. I'm sure we'll get back to triple digits before long, but I'm enjoying this respite in the meantime.

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35753

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics