Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)
svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4749730 - 08/15/11 05:21 PM

Skip, Glad you and Texas are getting some relief. Wish we could send you some of our rain! Let's hope & pray the drought will end soon.
Doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: svtdoug]
      #4761815 - 08/22/11 07:17 AM

With the skies due to clear across the U.K last night I was geared up for a nights viewing. My skies duly obliged and I was in the Obs by 21.20.
I had choosen Ursa Major as my main target area, which turned out to be the wrong choice given the conditions and time of year.(still never truly dark)
Seeing was what I call "hit and miss", the view at higher mags alternating between clear and turbulent. There also seemed to be a lot of particules in the air as any light polution was spread over an area wider than normal.
That said, it was clear from horizon to horizon and the sky was "full" of stars.
I wont list all the objects I observed in what turned out to be a plus 4 hour session, but here's a few.
My first object was Mizer followed by Dubhe (doubles). M81 and M82 revealed little, (as always) but I spent time and got the best I could. I fared no better with M63(sunflower) and M51(Whirlpool) but at least I had them in my F.O.V.
I decided to stay in the general area but to switch tact, so I targeted clusters M3, M5 and M13.(amoungst others)
They were much better objects to view under the conditions, with M13 being the star of the show.
All in all another great night. As I made my way indoors, I spied Jupiter just about to clear the rooftops to my east. Had it not slipped my mind, I might have hung on a bit longer, but at around 02.00 I was ready for my bed. Jupiter can be viewed some other night.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4761869 - 08/22/11 08:16 AM

Hi Peter,

good to hear you managed some time at the eyepiece, thanks for your report!!

Not so lucky here last night, forecast said it would clear, and it did, but having got the obs ready and imaging equipment all ready to go, i noticed the sky was only what i would call murky. I decided to wait an hour to see if things improved, but in the end i gave up.

Roll on winter!!

regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4761879 - 08/22/11 08:32 AM

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear the night did not live up to expectations. It can be very frustrating when you have everything ready to go.
As I reported, my seeing was far from perfect.
Lets hope some of our other U.K colleagues had better luck.

Never mind Tom, as you say, roll on winter.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4761883 - 08/22/11 08:38 AM

The nice thing though Peter, is that having an observatory, at least makes it far easier to be ready or close up if needs be, i`m sure you would agree with that, having my scopes perminently mounted means i only need to set up my imaging gear and lap top, which i keep indoors when not in use!

Yes so much easier!!!

regards,

Tom.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #4761947 - 08/22/11 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your skies across the pond. Here in Texas had rougly clear, but Im Workin and didnt bring my scope with me as its supposed to be a short job. Hopefully be at the eyepiece later this week!!

- Matt

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4762280 - 08/22/11 12:31 PM

Quote:

The nice thing though Peter, is that having an observatory, at least makes it far easier to be ready or close up if needs be, i`m sure you would agree with that, having my scopes perminently mounted means i only need to set up my imaging gear and lap top, which i keep indoors when not in use!

Yes so much easier!!!

regards,

Tom.

I agree word for word (is that verbatim?) Tom.

For me, being a visual observer, it's just a matter of opening the dome in order to cool the scope in preparation and, should the weather change for the worse, simply close it up again.

If the opportunity presents its self, I hope all our friends, both here and abroad, will be able to take advantage and get themselves an Observatory of one type or another.

Yes so much easier!!!

Regards. Peter.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #4762563 - 08/22/11 03:12 PM

Well in my part of the UK, clearing up means the rain stops for 10 minutes or so... Looking good at the moment, but with 3 hours till dark, anything can happen...

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4769963 - 08/26/11 07:51 AM

I spend two weeks in York,Maine visiting my buddy's farm and I was surprised at how high Polaris is compared to Florida. I knew it would be higher, but not as high as it was. And there were stars further north that I've never seen before. Too bad I didn't have my scope

The light pollution over the farm was almost zero, but when you looked north, east or south, the glow in the sky only pointed out where the major population resided.

Scorpius was just barely visible to the south, as it sits low on the horizon in the LP glow. And when I returned home, Scorpius was riding much higher and more pronounced than in York.

I didn't spend too much time outside searching the night sky because we would get up each morning at 5am and I was usually a sleep by 9pm.

It's always nice to come back home, but I do miss the cooler and drier weather

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4770021 - 08/26/11 08:55 AM

Now you know why we are jealous when you guys talk about Scorpio and the galactic centre - it hardly clears the horizon from here - let alone gets in a suitable position for viewing.

Hope you had a great holiday.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4770051 - 08/26/11 09:11 AM

Is the Galactic centre thought to be Sagittarius A, or am I mistaken?.

Pleased you had a good time in York Maine John. Would have been nice to have a small scope with you to look at the "New" skies.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
      #4770083 - 08/26/11 09:43 AM

I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*

Sagittarius's teapot is also clearly seen from here. I'll have to check out Sagittarius A, to see the center of our milky way

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4770111 - 08/26/11 09:58 AM

Hi Peter, yes, I believe it is.

I remember seeing the teapot and galactic centre (plus LMC & SMC) from Perth WA and being blown away. Mind you, there was a sky full of stars but apart from the teapot and the Southern Cross, I couldn't recognise any constellations!

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4772534 - 08/27/11 04:56 PM

Ok guys, got some updates for yall. Got the Astrozap dew heaters on, plus the "Wing-Thing" (I love it). Had some nice nights since tuesday. Here is just a little list of viewing pleasures.

Tuesday night -
Messier 5 (cluster), 6 (Butterfly Cluster), 7 (Ptolemy Cluster), 10 (Cluster), 11 (Wild Duck Cluster *Which is AMAZING for some reason*), 12 (Cluster), 19 (Globular Cluster), 22 (Sagittarius Cluster *Awesome as well*), 24 (Sagittarius Star Cloud), 31 (Andromeda Gal *Woke up at 4am and got a better view), 57 ( Ring Nebula.. Clearly visable O), 69,70,71 (All Glob Clusters),

Wednesday night we had a hellacious thunderstorm here, so no viewing that night.

Thursday night, Some of the same objects as Tuesday, including...
Messier 23 and 25 (Open Clusters), 28,54,55,56,75(Globulars ),
Also woke up early Friday morning to watch Jupiter and got a nice surprise... 7 Visable moons!!, including one that was right next to the planet. Great way to start the day!!

Last night was another treat...
NGC objects
6604 (Cluster/Nebula), 6605,6633,6709,7380, (Open Clusters)
Also Messier 80 (Glob Cluster)

Standard observations until I found something by accident. NCG 6826 (Blinking Planetary Nebula) It was pretty cool, and not too far away, the Garnet Star (SAO 033693)

So the last few days as you can see has been adventurous, and the 8 SE is getting its use thats for sure. I hope everyone is faring just as well, and all my friends on the East Coast, Y'all be safe!!!

- Matt

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4782523 - 09/01/11 02:49 PM

Hi All,

Looks like my skies are going to be clear so inside the next hour I'll be heading for the hills(Dream Maker). Sundown in 10 minutes.

Here's wishing you all the same clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4782528 - 09/01/11 02:53 PM

Hi Peter,

i`m also ready for a night in the obs, some cloud forecast here in the Midlands, but hopefully not enough to bring me back indoors too early,

Have a good night!!

regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4782551 - 09/01/11 03:06 PM

Hi Tom,

Same here, in fact it's an unexpected clear night. It's not perfect, but good enough.

Hope the clouds stay away from Uncle Tom.

You have a good night too.

Regards. Peter.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#4783230 - 09/01/11 09:42 PM

Been busy workin hard at the shop all week. Just been ready for bed every night. But hopefully tomorrow night get some scope time.

Good luck to yall tonight!!
- Matt

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4784281 - 09/02/11 11:34 AM

Well last night was a total bust, started a run of exposures of 20X10 minute subs of the Pacman nebula (NGC281), only to be thwarted after getting the first 2 subs down, by cloud.

It did not get any better, so i quit and will have to wait until another night, Oh hum!

Regards,

Tom.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: haytor]
      #4784534 - 09/02/11 01:22 PM

Same happened to me last evening trying to image M16. Got all set up, did about 20 15 sec subs and then the clouds rolled in for the next 2 hrs and I gave up, bringing all the gear back inside.

George

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics