Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)
flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4829920 - 09/27/11 06:54 AM

Hi Skip,

After reading how many homes have been lost due to wildfires in TX & OK, I hope a tropical storm sits over you guys for about a week or so. I know you all could surely use it.

Be well!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4831663 - 09/28/11 07:04 AM

Meanwhile here in the U.K we are enjoying a mini heat wave.

Did some Solar observing yesterday afternoon. Left the dome open in readiness for night but high thin cloud appeared around 18.00 and at 20.30, with the cloud getting worse, I closed the dome.
22.15 and I opened my side door which faces East and Jupiter hit me full on. The skies had cleared wall to wall. Obs opened again and I enjoyed over two hours observing.
The air was perfectly still and Jupiter, although only around 23-28 deg, was as good as I've seen it in a long time.
I have the dome open now, in readiness for more Solar observing this afternoon, Sunspot 1302 is very good, and the forecast is for clear skies again tonight.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4832060 - 09/28/11 12:05 PM

Last night, I took Rosie out for her before bed walk and I noticed how clear and steady the atmosphere was here over North Texas. Cygnus was almost completely visible (including Alberio), even given the light pollution here in the DFW area. While I was trying to tease out the other stars in Lyra (Vega was really bright), a huge bolide ripped right throught the Summer Triangle! It was bright yellow in color and had a fairly long tail. It lasted for 2 or 3 seconds and had several pieces come off it. I've seen several of these before but this was right up there with the best of them! Quite a sight!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4832156 - 09/28/11 12:41 PM

Hi Skip,
Your sighting of a Bolide is very interesting.

Last night, I had not been observing long when I thought I saw a flash of light reflect off the Obs. The time would have been around 22.50 - 23.00. I wonder if there was more than one last night?.
Do Bolides get bright enough to cause a reflection?.

The skies were indeed very clear and steady. I could make out all of Delphinus, Cygnus and Ursa Minor, (except for Theta), amoungst others.
Its still looking good for tonight. Its 17.40 as I type this.

Bet you really enjoyed your walk. I certainly hope so.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (09/28/11 01:06 PM)

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
      #4832160 - 09/28/11 12:42 PM

It was clear here too(3am) and I could see the Double Cluster via the naked eye. Plus the Milky Way looked awesome!!

So I grabbed the 8SE and took a look around the sky. Jupiter was beautiful. Clear & steady

I then brought out the small refractor and Pleiades just blew me away.

The viewing season is upon us southeast residents

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4832486 - 09/28/11 03:44 PM

I cant wait for tonight. Got released off of the job this morning which means tonight I get some much needed scope time. Which also means the 1st night with the Rons Rail and 2" diagonal. CANT WAIT!!!

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4832664 - 09/28/11 05:24 PM

Finally, some scope time!!

Managed to see several sunspots this afternoon, 1302 is quite a biggie and responsible from the aurora being visible from North Yorkshire according to Look North tonight.

Due to a bad cold, I decided to stay indoors tonight and wouldn't you know it, the sky is clear - but it looks like some high-altitude haze??

Anyway, gave Junior some attention, and that's what matters.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4834309 - 09/29/11 02:06 PM

Quote:

Last night, I had not been observing long when I thought I saw a flash of light reflect off the Obs. The time would have been around 22.50 - 23.00. I wonder if there was more than one last night?.
Do Bolides get bright enough to cause a reflection?.

I don't know if there were multiples, but it could be. As far as being bright enough to cause a reflection, I'd say the answer is a definite YES! The one I saw was very bright, although not as bright as at least one other that I saw a few years ago. It was the brightness that brought my eye to it, but it burned out after about 2 seconds.

Quote:

Bet you really enjoyed your walk. I certainly hope so.

Yep, sure did. Actually, calling it a walk is stretching it a bit. I take Rosie out back every night around 10:30 local so she can do her "bidness" before we go to bed. I'm usually only out there for a few minutes and it is in the back yard - so a limited walk. I was out a bit longer than normal this time and Rosie let me know. She has a verbal yawn she uses when she wants my attention and she did several of those to get me heading back inside. I have always heard, "You don't own your dog, your dog owns you." So being the faithful servant that I am, I stopped star gazing and went back inside with her. She has very little patience with altering her habit patterns.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4834384 - 09/29/11 02:44 PM

It's about time someone kept you in check Skip, even if it is Rosie.

Re the Bolides, I had my eye to the eyepiece and catch a flash in the corner of my eye. I look out and up and of coarse, saw nothing, for as you rightly say, most such heavenly event would only last a few seconds. I didn't give it another thought until you mentioned your own experience.

I don't have a Rosie, but I too always amble round the garden before retiring to bed. Great minds and all that.

All clear again tonight. Just preparing to go out and Observe.

Hope your weather continues to improve(cool down)in the coming weeks

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4834410 - 09/29/11 02:58 PM

Quote:

I don't have a Rosie, but I too always amble round the garden before retiring to bed. Great minds and all that.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#4834487 - 09/29/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

But not for the same reasons I hope

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4834506 - 09/29/11 03:57 PM

Just spent a couple of happy hours in the pleasant mild evening air observing doubles.

Air seems very still tonight and it is a cloudless sky, even the wind has dropped.

Alas no planets on view and even the moon was beneath the horizon.

Took in 95 Herc, Alberio (a favourite), Almach, Cor Caroli, Beta Cap, Delta Cap, Delta Serpens, Epsilon Bo÷tes, the Double Double, Eta Peg, Eta Cas, Kappa Bo÷tes, Mizar, Nu Draco, Polaris, Psi Pisc and Alpha Herc before moving on to the tour and M31 to start, but there is too much LP and I could only just make out the core with averted vision.

Saw two satellites pass overhead - both in the region of Lyra. I say two satellites however one went the correct way from west to east but the second seemed to be going in almost the opposite direction

Nice to get out for a change. Now to mark some wretched exercise books (!)

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4835395 - 09/30/11 05:02 AM

Hi Art,

Glad you were able to get out at last. Thats a big list of double stars by anyones standards.

Surprised to hear you say "No Planets were on view". Jupiter was at plus 30deg by 23.00. about 25deg below Almach and shinning like a beacon. Was it not visible to you?.
You missed a treat if not by the way. Io was in transit at 22.10 when I first viewed Jupiter, and it's shadow was jet black on Jupiters disc. I watched the shadows progress across Jupiters disc until it disappeared off the Eastern edge (as seen in the eyepiece) at 22.51
At x250 I thought I saw Io on three or four occasions but it was difficult to see as it was lost in the S.E.B, so I marked it as a NO on my notes. The N.E.B was brilliant with dark festoons showing plenty of detail.
Took in NGC 7063,6871,6940,6885,6834,M2,M13,M15,M31 and a few others in a four and a half hour session.

That's three nights on the run. Hope tonight makes it four.

Regards. Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#4835519 - 09/30/11 08:16 AM

Hi Peter,

No, when I posted, I had packed up for the night (I had to prepare a short piece of work for this mornings lessons) so no Jupiter!

Shame about that. The list said that Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were on view, but before 9pm the sky wasn't fully dark and Uranus and Neptune were so low that they were behind trees. Pluto was never going to be possible visually anyway. Even M45 was hiding behind my neighbour's house!

Still an enjoyable few hours in the mild evening air.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #4835658 - 09/30/11 09:48 AM

Sounds like both of you had some nice observing.
2 nights ago, Jupiter was amazing. It made it all better that I got to see it in the 2" diagonal. Then I covered the scope up with a lightweight tarp and left the dew heaters on and went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning to take my daughter to school, I told her that the scope was still outside and asked her if she wanted to see Jupiter and she jumped out of bed into my arms. HAHA. So when she went to school yesterday she told her teacher that she got to see Jupiter that morning in the scope.

Yesterday I went to the Texas Nautical Repair store in Houston. MY, it was like heaven. Scopes all over the place, an entire wall of EPs and accessories. Takahashi scopes, a C11 for sale. But I refrained from spending any money... It was hard, but I did. LOL

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4835682 - 09/30/11 10:07 AM

Hi Matt, Great story about your daughter. I bet she was one happy child.

Know what you mean re spending more money. I get this annoying itch when I see a CPC11 for sale. Hard to control some times.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4835773 - 09/30/11 10:57 AM

Quote:

Hi Peter,

No, when I posted, I had packed up for the night (I had to prepare a short piece of work for this mornings lessons) so no Jupiter!

Shame about that. The list said that Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were on view, but before 9pm the sky wasn't fully dark and Uranus and Neptune were so low that they were behind trees. Pluto was never going to be possible visually anyway. Even M45 was hiding behind my neighbour's house!

Still an enjoyable few hours in the mild evening air.

Sorry about that. You seemed to have been posting during the day of late, though I could bo wrong, and with you doing some Solar observing on Thursday Afternoon, I naturally thought you were at home.

Nowt spoiling.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4836253 - 09/30/11 03:38 PM

Quote:

Saw two satellites pass overhead - both in the region of Lyra. I say two satellites however one went the correct way from west to east but the second seemed to be going in almost the opposite direction

Hey Bri, Probably a drunk driver!

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4836307 - 09/30/11 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Bri, Probably a drunk driver!

Or a drunk observer

Regards Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #4836489 - 09/30/11 06:07 PM

I wish!

Don't think the parents would be too happy if my handwriting was illegible.

Maybe it was the alien mothership taking avoiding action to avoid being hit by the satellite!

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35699

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics