Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4837090 - 10/01/11 04:58 AM

I thought I'd bumped into an alien as I was entering the house at 04.30 am on Thursday morning (stay up after my observing session) but it was our milk man, (he wears a turban) who took me by surprise.
"Good lord" I exclaimed, "where did you come from"
"India" came the reply.

"Gosh" I said, "You've got a big milk round"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4837270 - 10/01/11 09:50 AM

Re an earlier post - the "funny" Graemlin has not been removed!!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4838109 - 10/01/11 07:09 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I feel like a kid in a candy store

Tonight is the 1st cool, dry night in months and I'm so looking forward to seeing some new friends

I've had the 8SE one year this month and the excitement hasn't worn off one bit.

Time to make my list for tonight!!!

Clear skies to all!!!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4838257 - 10/01/11 09:30 PM

Started off looking at the crescent moon. I really noticed the moon's curvature, much more than when it's 1/2 full. But even with the moon filter on, my eye fatigued rather quickly. Any suggestions on moon filters? Mine's Celestron's basic model.

M31 & M110 were both visible via adverted vision. But through the 80mm refractor, I could see more of the light spread using the 24mm Pan.

I enjoy the small refractor, but I really only use it for a few objects. Where the 8SE excels on most objects.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
      #4838599 - 10/02/11 02:44 AM

John, the pool is not frozen. It aint cool if it's not frozen I was sitting in my observatory tonight and it was almost cool (just above freezing, 35F). Darn winter is coming

On the positive note, I may have something to post in AP thread, and even better, in "Original NexStar photos". Woo-hoo.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Alex Post]
      #4838661 - 10/02/11 04:53 AM

Wow! 35F already

And I'm cold @ 58F

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4838731 - 10/02/11 06:44 AM

I left both scopes set-up over night and went back out just after 5am. I started with the 8SE and Jupiter looked better than earlier in the evening. I would get these 2 to 3 second clear images where the polar bands were visible.

Then off to M42! The dust lane was very clear & large It's just too cool!

Then I used the "Tour" mode for about an hour or so, which allows one to see many objects in a short period of time.

I then switched over to the TV85 and off to M45(Pleiades). I was using the 13mm EP during my alignment and when the scope slewed to M45, it didn't appear the same as earlier. Then I remembered the 13mm EP and dropped in the Pan 24mm and that was the view I was looking for
And of course I checked out the Double Cluster, but besides these two objects(and many a couple of others), the 8SE is my go to scope.

I'm thinking of selling the TV85 and let someone else enjoy it's views. The 8SE fills my needs.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4838741 - 10/02/11 07:16 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a similar experience to me last night.
Seeing was not too good but I persevered for three hours and overall, I enjoyed the session.
Like you, I had to wait for the more favourable moments when viewing Jupiter, although I did manage to see the GRS more than once.
The best of the rest were,NGC 7243,752, M11,M53,M34,M39 and M15 which I caught in clear air and managed x250 which made the core dance a little in the eyepiece.
Visited Almach to round off the night. I enjoy Almach as much as I do Albireo. Theres little to chose to my eye's.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4838788 - 10/02/11 08:01 AM

Hi Peter,

You had a good night too !!!

I forgot to saying that I saw Mars for the 1st time, but unfortunately the "seeing" wasn't the greatest. The sky was clear, but the highest power EP that I could use(on Jupiter too) was the 13mm. The 9mm was not clear or crisp.

Mars looked like a Red Giant star. Hopefully I'll have better seeing tomorrow morning.

I too checked out Almach and like you, I too enjoy it as much as Albireo.

Here's to a better winter for you UK folks

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4838862 - 10/02/11 09:25 AM

Hi John,
Well done with seeing Mars. I've not had a chance to view it yet so far. It's not available to me until around 04.00am just now, when it's at about 25deg.
It should be good later in the year, so, along with Jupiter, we'll see what we can tease out of them.

Hope you lads (and Lasses) over the water, have a good winter season too.

Regards. Peter.

Arrashona
journeyman

Reged: 09/28/11

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #4843505 - 10/04/11 01:02 PM

John, it sounds like your experience was similar to mine on Saturday night / Sunday morning.

I was out in the evening (got some nice views of M13), but also left my scope up and went out early on Sunday morning hoping the marine layer would cooperate and stay away - which it did.

My targets were very similar to yours. I agree that Jupiter was better in the morning. I also got some nice views of M42 - the first in my 8Se, actually (no narrow band nebula filter though - that didn't arrive until yesterday). I spent some time in the tour mode (boy it was nice to be able to catch so many objects in a shorter amount of time). I rounded out the morning on Mars. Like you, I couldn't go much past my 15mm EP.

Last night I was able to play with my new filter for a short while on the ring nebula. Doesn't look promising until the weekend though, several fronts are moving through.

TonyDralle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/06

Loc: Bethel Park, PA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arrashona]
      #4847417 - 10/06/11 03:22 PM

Clear skies forecast tonight, temperature around 54F, no wind. Of course, the moon is ten days old, but Jupiter and hundreds of double stars await!

- Tony

MHensen

Reged: 11/22/05

Loc: London Ontario
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: TonyDralle]
      #4848703 - 10/07/11 10:34 AM

As i posted in the beginners forum, saw the great red spot and a very black barge in the northern belt at about 1:30 this morning, viz was great, could see some distortions in the southern belt as it went around the spot. My 6se is very nice, pls no more posts about switching to 8se,I don't want to hear about it ;-)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: MHensen]
      #4848971 - 10/07/11 01:12 PM

Pleased you enjoyed Jupiter Mike. It's a great sight when seeing is good.

It's clear here in Leeds at the moment so hopefully, I will get a chance to observe Jupiter tonight.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (10/09/11 04:46 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4851574 - 10/09/11 04:45 AM

I managed to do some more observing last night (7th - 19.45 to 21.45). The seeing was far from ideal with lots of turbulence and ever increasing whispy cloud. The bright, near ten day old Moon wasn't helping either.
Still, this makes it four nights viewing in two weeks, a rare happening at the best of times, so I determined to make the most of it.

The highlights of the evening were
1.. the sighting of NGC6934 a magnitude 8.82 open cluster in Delphinus. It was only 13 or so deg from the Moon and to catch it in the conditions I had was a real joy.
2.. was NGC7009 the Saturn Nebula. Although it was not cyrstal clear, the colour stood out very well and I managed x170. Again at magnitude 7.8 and being such a small object, I was more than pleased with the view I got.
I worked my way over to Jupiter via M31, the center of which seemed to be much brighter than a few nights ago. After 10 minutes at Jupiter the cloud had increased and further observing became pointless.

I enjoyed my two hours. Hope some of you managed to get out too.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

#4851721 - 10/09/11 08:23 AM

Good to read that some of you had a chance to view the night sky. Unfortunately we have a tropical system slowly moving over us, bring a ton of rain. I received 7 inches of rain in 24 hours with another 4 inches coming today. But since we have gotten usually dry for this time of the year, the rain is truly welcomed(keeping those wildfires at bay).

But as the old saying goes: "This too shall pass"!!!

NorskeBob

Reged: 09/10/10

Loc: Oswego, NY
      #4851931 - 10/09/11 10:58 AM

Got up at 5:30 this morning to view Mars - first viewing. Was nice and clear so had good viewing of Mars, Jupiter, and Orion. The full moon did impact viewing though. Was out last night too - too much moon to see the Draconid showers.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: NorskeBob]
      #4852063 - 10/09/11 12:21 PM

Hi John
Looks like you might have some temporary clearing starting about now. We had 1.4" in two hours this morning and another big toad choker coming up from SE Hillsboro County. It may be the middle of the week before we get any relief. Since this is the beginning of the early winter dry spell, it's welcome.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #4852299 - 10/09/11 03:22 PM

Hi John,

It's much drier today compared to yesterday

Hopefully it'll clear out just as the moon comes up later in the night.

MHensen

Reged: 11/22/05

Loc: London Ontario
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: flboy]
      #4853120 - 10/10/11 12:12 AM

Tonite was another good night for me and Jupiter. After I put on the moon block to protect myself from it's intense radiation, I focussed my 6 SE on Jupiter, just after 11pm and yup red spot just sitting there at 150x nicely with the black barge in the northern belt preceding it just like a few days ago. Tonite was the first time I realized what you folks are talking about when you mention seconds of good seeing...all of a sudden, pow I could see that the southern belt is liighter in the middle and darker on it's edges, and a big pale area just before the red spot, as the spot transited (?) another black barge showed up in the northern belt, this one tailing the spot. For short periods I could see that the northern belt looked thinner and wavyier than the bigger south belt. I am having fun with this scope.

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35774

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics