Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)
Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #4906631 - 11/09/11 01:51 PM

Found the trick. Select Batch/Pre-process B&W-Raw Images. In that window, click Dark and select your master dark file. When you come back to that same window, click Flat and select that master. Now click OK and move on to a group of Lights. You'll end up with one set of pproc files but both corrections will have been applied. The rest of the tutorial can now be used. I just went through it all again but the final image didn't change, as expected.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #4906656 - 11/09/11 02:06 PM

You've got it, Ed !

By the way, has Craig said anything about getting your Panasonic to capture with Nebulosity software rather than just process your frames ? Or perhaps you're satisfied with the way you are presumably carrying out the capture ? (Which version incidentally, are you actually "playing "with at the moment) ?

Best regards,
Tel

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Tel]
      #4906696 - 11/09/11 02:24 PM

I haven't asked Craig about direct control of the Panasonic since it seems to be access only to the SD card. I may have to load all the Panasonic software to see if there's any live access. However, I've added a Canon T3 and a 55-200mm lens to my Santa list. Joanne saw the list and did not spew forth any fire and smoke from her upper-frontal orifice so things are looking good. I still want to explore all the possibilities of the FZ50 as I also have an LX2 and all the afocal attachments to go direct to a GSO 30mm EP. By capturing entirely with the cameras, I can avoid having to drag the netbook out to the scope. I'll just bring the camera back indoors and process in the comfort of my easy chair and the company of my sweetie.

I'm using version 2.50a which is a special build to allow the Panasonic raw files to be selected in batch convert. The next version of Neb will allow more raw file formats to be selected. He did confirm that the present version also works with RW2 files.

ftrobbie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Nottingham, UK
      #4917406 - 11/15/11 03:01 PM

Peter

Have moved the conversation to this thread to try to maintain the focus of the imaging thread on imaging. I was guilty of indulging off topic conversation.

Quote:

Hi Tel, Re the weather, I've been using the Met Office Desktop Widget

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/desktopwidget.html

for the last month and am finding it to be fairly accurate.
It's simple to use and is up-dated every three hours with alterations seemingly made "on the hoof". It will give you some idea as to how long you are to remain miserable for.

I know we said that the best forecasts were made by us looking out of the window, but I think it's worth you giving it a go.
You can remonstrate with me later, should it not live up to expectations.

Regards. Peter.

Peter

Have downloaded and used it, allI can say is that the MetOffice excel again. I am not saying they are wrong but the weather they reported to have happened is not the same as I was getting tonight. However the clouds have rolled in and stopped me short.

However spent some time looking at Jupiter before the clouds came in whilst I was bathing the boys ready for bed. I used a 102 wide field Celestron refractor on the 6SE mount. It took the 8-24 zoom and barlow to give me unprecedented clear views of Jupiter. If only it had stayed that way.

Here's hoping the clouds rolls out as fast as they rolled in.

One thing I noticed though is that I have not put webcam software on the Mac after the hard drive fiasco, courtesy of Windows/ Parallels screwing up the indexing of the master lists. Complete rebuild. So now putting that back on.

Have fun guys

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ftrobbie]
      #4929475 - 11/22/11 12:47 PM

O.K lads, it's 17.35 and my skies have cleared for the first time since the 6th Nov.
I'm planning to be out by 18 30 at the lastest.

In the November issue of S at N Mag, there is an observing challenge called "Chasing Clusters" which I am about to embark on. I will start the challenge about 19 30. There are 21 objects in all.
For anyone interested and is able to, here is said list in the order printed in S at N.

M56...The coathanger...M71...M15...M39...M52... NGC457...NGC663...M103...Muscle man cluster or stock 2...The Double Cluster (NGC884-869)...NGC752...M45...The Hyades...M38...M36...M37...M35...and finely Collinder 70 (the area of the three stars in Orions belt).

Good luck if you decide to give it a go. Hope some of my U.K and world wide friends are enjoying the same clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (11/24/11 09:57 AM)

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4930175 - 11/22/11 07:54 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Think I might have to move to Yorkshire...

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4930708 - 11/23/11 05:49 AM

Sorry to hear that your skies did not clear Geoff, must have been local to Yorkshire. It was wall to wall clear here.

Started the "Chase" of the 21 objects (see my post above) earlier than planned at 18.30 and managed every object. It was a very good experience,(I normally only select around 6 objects per night) taking in lots of Open and Globular clusters. Many, particulary those in Cassiopeia, where at 70 to 80 Deg, so some strange viewing positions where called for.

I arrived at the last target, Collinder 70 (Orions belt) a little early. Orion was just coming up over the roof tops in the east, so I spent time with Jupiter, determined not to miss out by one. At 21.45 I was able to view Collinder 70 and so, after over three hours at the eyepiece, I packed up and headed indoors a contented man.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (11/23/11 08:00 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #4930772 - 11/23/11 07:56 AM

No luck here in the Midlands Peter, no rain, not much cloud, just mist, and lots of it as the night went on, it did seem to clear closer to midnight, but by then i simply had given up any hope,was too tired to bother.

Good to hear though you had several hours of clear sky that allowed you to complete your list, well done Peter

regards ,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4930789 - 11/23/11 08:21 AM

Thanks Tom. Sorry you missed out too. Here's to better luck soon for all.
I've just edited my list as I'd put M65 instead of M56 as the start object. It's what you call a slip of the brain.
My Met Office widget, which got it right last night, is saying partly cloudy for tonight. I will have to wait and see how "partly" it is before preparing the Obs again.

Have any of you A.P guys ever tried imaging NGC 936 The Darth Vader Galaxy in Cetus. It looks interesting to me, but then I'm not attempting to take the image.
There is a small picture of it in the November issue of S at N on page 102.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (11/24/11 09:59 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4930868 - 11/23/11 09:19 AM

Hi Peter,

NGC 936 is not one i have been aware of let alone tried imaging, sounds like a challenge though, i doubt its a commonly imaged object, given its in that book "The Secret Deep" probably means as the title suggests, its not so well known.

Having done a quick search, i noted its also known as "the Bar" NGC936 is a mag 11.1 type SBO-a galaxy, distance 54 Mly away. A supernova was observed in this Galaxy back in 2003.

I have made a note of this one, maybe one day i will have a go at imaging it.

Despite its appearence in some images, just showing it as a bar, or, as Darth Vadors star fighter, when using long exposures, it has an outer halo.

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (11/23/11 09:34 AM)

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #4932153 - 11/23/11 09:33 PM

Peter,

NGC 936 is really amazing! Thanks for posting about it. I doubt I could ever see it from my horribly polluted skies but have it on my list for when I can take guided subs and go for longer exposures. It also looks doable woth my humble Photoshop processing skills (famous last words!).

Best,

George

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ghataa]
      #4932548 - 11/24/11 07:48 AM

Hi George,

Pleased NGC936 is of interest to you. I'm sure you would do a fine job if you get the opportunity to try for an image. I know there is a lot involved when it comes to imaging, but I will keep an eye out incase your good self, Tom, or any of the other lads, manage to capture it sometime in the future.

I think I too will struggle with it visually, but if I get a really good seeing one night, (Friday should be clear) I will certainly give it a try.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4972058 - 12/18/11 06:18 AM

Hi,

At Last!!! managed to get out last night and do some observing. Last time out was 22nd Nov. I was in the dome by 19.30 and stayed until 21.30. It was by then -2 in there. (good friends had called so my session was cut short)

The sky was crystal clear and seeing was really good. The atmosphere was as stable as its been in a long time.
Jupiter was showing lots of detail within the bands both North and South. There was the added bonus of one large barge and the GRS prominant.
The rest of the time was spent observing N.G.Cs 1444,1538,1545,1664,and 1857. I could not resist visiting old favs M35,37,36 and 38, in that order (bottom to top )
Although not well placed at the moment, just had to look at M42 for the first time this season. It did not disappoint in the still air.

As an aside, I wore my new heated coat for the first. I will do a review when I have used it a couple or four times. First impression though was very good.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4972110 - 12/18/11 08:01 AM

Nice report Peter, glad you got some clear sky that allowed you to see so much in a few short hours.

It was also clear here later, but i had not noticed until late, did not catch the forecast last night and was being kept busy with carpet laying, which is now done. I thought about going out to the obs, but being so late and with the temps so low, i decided the warmth of my bed was stronger,

regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4972126 - 12/18/11 08:15 AM

Thanks Tom. It was good to be out again.
Those same low temps and the warmth of the house were the deciding factors which kept me indoors after our friends had left.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4972617 - 12/18/11 01:57 PM

Was meaning to mention this in my report above. Never mind, one more post might help to keep this thread alive. (Visual reports seem to be few and far between)

I had a quick look at Betelgeuse last night. I found it looks disc shaped, like Mars at low mags. Try as I may, I could not make it look star like i.e a single point of light.
Has anyone else noticed this?. If not, if you get the chance, would you take a look and see what you think. It would be nice to have my observations confirmed or otherwise.

If the truth be known, I looked in the first place just in case it went "POP" at that moment.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4975875 - 12/20/11 11:58 AM

Quote:

I wish the evening skies were as good! I don't have time to get the scope out in the morning and in the evenings, the skies are just not as good, what with the LP and haze.

I know I'm quoting myself here and I hope all will forgive my (hopefully) temporary lapse into psychosis.

But I went out to give Rosie her little walk before bed, and when I looked up at Orion, I almost fell over! We had just had a frontal passage, the clouds were almost all gone, and the skies were amazingly transparent (seeing was pretty good, but transparency was truly amazing).
I couldn't believe it. Naked eye, I could see the Orion Nebula with direct vision and with averted vision it was almost as good as with a low power eyepiece or binoculars. Fantastic!

I stood there gaping at the sky for a few minutes. Rosie, who had finished her business, finally came up and pawed my leg, as if to say, "Hey. You brought me out here to get me ready for bed, and now you're standing there with your mouth hanging open looking at the sky? I'm ready to go in. Move it!" So, of course, when the queen speaks, I move it.

But I found out that the evening skies can be excellent, especially after a frontal passage.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4988238 - 12/28/11 10:38 AM

All set up despite the conflicting forecasts for tonight, hoping to image the Horsehead, i know you guy`s further North dont stand a chance tonight,(UK that is) even my area in the Midlands looks marginal depending on which forecast is to be believed, still here`s hoping chaps.

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/28/11 10:41 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4988521 - 12/28/11 01:23 PM

Good luck Tom. Hope you make it.

Blowing a gale here in Yorkshire.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #4989762 - 12/29/11 09:47 AM

Hi Peter,

sadly my night turned out to be a bust, one thing after another thwarted my chances. , firstly i had attached my newly aquired filter wheel to the 0.85 focal reducer only to find i had not got enough "in focus" to reach focus,(will need to remove the fr next time out) still no matter, i removed the filter wheel and screwed my Ha filter directly to the ccd ready for imaging.

Second problem, after starting a capture on the Crab Nebula while waiting for the Horsehead to rise high enough for imaging, my Phd software kept going bonkers as repeateed cloud cover caused my guide star to be lost, i attempted several times up until about 9 pm,but failed, the cloud kept coming from the S/W in waves with clear sky in between, but given i was using 7 minute exposures, before each sub could be completed another cloud band swept through.

Hence i gave up, still it was good to hear Tel had some success further south of me .

Regards,

Tom.

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics