Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #5104246 - 03/04/12 09:34 AM

Hi all,
Meteor over the UK, maybe my son did see something hit the moon?

Got to see Mars at opposition, although with poor seeing made it dificult to see much detail. Did see Syrtis Major at about 150x. Was too windy to do any imaging and visual was chalenging. Went to M42 and couldn't make out any color except w/ the OIII filter . One of the stars in the trapezium kept blinking in and out of view maybe from high clouds. Got to see a satelite cross the moon.

Went around the sky quick but seeing was deteriorating very fast so I packed it up. Was nice after almost a week of cloud cover .

James

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5104293 - 03/04/12 10:03 AM

Hi James,

its not very often we get to see a moon strike by a meteoriod, but it does happen, no atmosphere on the moon means they dont burn up on entry and, they do strike the surface, here`s a link that shows an image of an area struck by one of these bodies, i remember seeing one reported by NASA that was recorded and impacted the surface which showed up as a short but bright flash!

http://www.universetoday.com/11231/meteor-strike-on-the-moon/

regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5106596 - 03/05/12 01:38 PM

Hi Gang,

Clear skies again here in Yorkshire. Dome open and ready to go.

Looks like it could be true for large parts of the country.

How are you fairing. Good I hope.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #5106610 - 03/05/12 01:42 PM

Hi Peter,

yes i`m out too tonight, trying some imaging, but that big orb hanging in the sky will most likely temper my results, still here`s hoping!

Hope you get a good night up there in the North too Peter, look forward to reading your report if you do.

regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5106649 - 03/05/12 02:02 PM

Hi Tom,

We love it and then we curse it. Hope its not too much of a problem.

Good luck.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5111364 - 03/08/12 09:54 AM

Hi,
Here's my report for the night of the 5th. What a fun night. I was up and away by 19.00 and realised I had not replaced my back up batteries in the mount (had them out to recharge). I decided to carry on anyway thinking it would not matter for one night. Did an A2SA using Polaris and Alderbaran and went to "say a bit of a farewell to Jupiter" a lovely phrase I've pinched from Skip. after about 20 minutes observing Jupiter, I lost alignment. Thinking I'd knocked the cable, and cursing not putting the batteries back, I again used Polaris and Alderbaran to realign. Seeing was not good so after a little longer viewing Jupiter, I decided to view some of the brighter open clusters etc until Mars was high enough to "say hello to".
By 20.30 I had lost alignment twice more and was now using, for convenience, Alderbaran and Sirius to realign. I had also come to the conclusion that there was something amiss and would need to be looked at next day. To add insult to injury, the alt clutch decided it was time to start slipping, (can't blame it, not been adjusted for nearly two years) so that added to the fun I was having with realigning. Around 21.15 I arrived at Mars and again had to realign, using a solar align on Mars itself. Mars was a wash out and I would not see any surface details, due I think to the poor seeing conditions and the Moon being so close by. I persevered for a while but to no avail, so I ended my session with half an hour obsevring the Moon. There's plenty to see even when near full.
After much fun and games I headed indoors at 22.00. At least the night was different and I got through it with a smile on my face. The hobby is for enjoying choose what.
Thanks for the use of your phrase Skip

Needed to get the soldering iron out to repair the "frayed cable wire (positive). It was a good thing after all that I left the batteries out, as the fault may not have shown itself. I have also nipped up the clutch. All should be well for the next time, I hope.

Hope some of you managed some time at the eyepiece.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5111426 - 03/08/12 10:31 AM

Sounds like a night of mixed blessings Peter,glad though,that you got your alt clutch sorted and that frayed cable wire soldered, all the better for your next venture when the skies allow, nice too that you ended your night with a smile on your face

Thanks for the report.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5115269 - 03/10/12 02:06 PM

Hi,
Togging up to go out again. It's a bit patchy but a 2 hour clear spell is forecast so who knows, I might catch the last of the winter goodies.

Regards. Peter.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #5115481 - 03/10/12 04:35 PM

Hi Peter,

I too feel like their are so many winter goodies but really haven't had my fill of them yet! For me, Nov, Dec and Jan were largely useless months due to the weather. This is the first full year for me with my scopes and camera so each season does bring a new treat!

Best,

George

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ghataa]
      #5117020 - 03/11/12 03:26 PM

Good luck with the "winter goodies" George. For us in the U.K clear skies in the winter usually mean observing in the freezing cold, but if you love the hobby and want to see some of the best (arguably) object the northern skies have to offer, them out we go.

Other good night started at 19.00(again). The scope was not cooled, as the clear skies were not predicted early enough, and althou basically clear, and the seeing was good, there were some long bands of high thin cloud here and there. My first target was another look at Jupiter. It suffered a little from the lack of cooling but non the less, the cloud bands showed up well. The Moons were all in a line 3 and 1. Jupiter and Venus presented a great naked eye view being so close together. For most of the session, all I had to do was look to the west. Wonderful.
Next was a good look at M45, something I have not done this time round. Good as always and the finder came into its own as a small w.a scope. Tried for M1 but had no joy. Just had to go on to M35 from there, one of my favorite O.Cs, N.G.C 2264 and 2244 (O.Cs)next on my way to M42. No winter viewing would be complete without taking a look. The nebula showed up very well as did the Trap. N.G.C 2392 the Eskimo nebula was next(can't let the A,P lads have all the fun). At mag 9.2 I thought I'd be struggling on the night, but it showed up very well. I could clearly see the center brightness and the surrounding halo. Best power was x180 to x200. M44, the beehive cluster is a delight. It look brilliant last night against the dark sky. Again I used the finder to good effect. It was at this stage when I remembered that I had left my new 38mm w.a eyepiece indoors (no room in the eyepiece case as yet) but as it was now passed 21.00 I let it be. Had a quick look at M67 a very sparse O.C and then on to M50 a very compact O.C which fits well into the F.O.V of most 25mm E.Ps. Tried N.G.C 2775 (spiral Galaxy) with no luck, then on to Mars. I've never had very good views of Mars and this time round has been no exception. Saw some very faint markings (I think) but not much else. Still, there is a joy in just being able to observe any of the planets. Now 22.10 and the clouds were rolling in so I popped back for a final look at M44 and called it a night.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5117366 - 03/11/12 08:18 PM

Nice report Peter. Was out last night and started with Mars and with the seeing it was difficult to get much detail I waited to around 23:00 and had a better look although still not much detail. I went over to Venus and Jupiter and Jupiter was too low in the sky to see much detail. M42 suffered from a lot of turbulence. I think it was over a chimney. Went to a few OC's and they never dissapoint. The Moon came up and that has to be my favorite target. Even though it was plagued with atmospheric turbulence I still enjoy imagining landing and exploring the surface. Tried to set up my NexImage on Mars but as soon as I plugged in the camera my laptop crashed (blue screened). I'm starting to become a frustrated AP'er .

James

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5118777 - 03/12/12 03:48 PM

Pleased you were able to get out James. As Tom said (thanks for your comments BTW Tom) of my night of the 7th, you seem to have had mixed blessings. Re Jupiter, I try to go to objects that are getting lower in the West first and work Eastwards from there. Looks like you had similar views of Mars as me. Good to hear the open clusters and the Moon rescued your night. They can always be relied on when conditions are not too good.

I think we are due one of those nights of excellent seeing which makes it all worth.

Sorry about the laptop crash, hope it's repairable?.

Thanks for your report.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5120497 - 03/13/12 04:05 PM

Last night Jupiter and Venus were right next to each other - only 2-3 degrees apart. Purdy danged kewl!

When Jupiter is alone in the sky it looks really bright. But when it is that close to Venus, it pales in comparison!

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #5120632 - 03/13/12 05:39 PM

Have posted a pic taken from my back yard here Skip: LINK

Art

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5121791 - 03/14/12 12:11 PM

Good pic, Art. I also replied to your private email.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #5122225 - 03/14/12 04:01 PM

... and replied

Art

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5125733 - 03/16/12 03:48 PM

Hi Gang,

If any U.K members are interested, there's a used, 5 bay Skyshed POD observatory for sale on the u.k astronomy buy and sell site.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=53545

I can personally recommend the Skyshed POD.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #5128728 - 03/18/12 02:33 PM

Lovely clear night ahead, so if all goes to plan, I'll be out around 20.00hrs.

Hope it's the same for the rest of my U.K friends and indeed, My friends around the world.

Regards. Peter.

Had to abort last night. Thought I had another glitch with the power so I turn everything off.
I had ordered a fused cable after my probs the other night, (should be here tomorrow) so it's was not worth the risk.
Hope some of you fared better.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (03/19/12 07:59 AM)

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #5140630 - 03/25/12 02:25 PM

Wow! We have had absolutely beautiful skies here in North Texas for the last couple of nights!!

So last night, our club had a mini-Messier Marathon at our dark site. BTW, "dark" is relative, but I recorded a 20.99 on my Sky Quality Meter last night. So pretty dark anyway. Certainly better than the 17.5 in my back yard!

Anyway, Susan and I decided (pretty much at the last moment) to go out there and enjoy the beautiful weather. As a result, my Powertank was not charged and there is no AC at the site pads. So I couldn't take my Small Caliber (6SE). I took instead my Howitzer (Orion XT10i). But a fellow club member set up right next to me and he had a 8SE. He asked me to help him get a good alignment, which I gladly did. I also got a good alignment on my XT10i (warp factor 0.5). As a result, I had the 10" Dob and his 8SE, both well aligned, pretty much at my disposal.

I didn't participate in the Messier Marathon part of the evening. But with a temp range of 23 down to 20 degrees C, no wind, and clear (fairly steady) skies, it was a perfect evening for observing. We had about 30 scopes and 50 folks in attendance.

We started with the moon, Jupiter, Venus, and Mars. The moon was very nice with just a thin crescent to see, but resulting in GREAT relief on the craters and mountains. Jupiter, as usual was spectacular, with the moons lined up perfectly, one on one side and three on the other. Mars was unremarkable, only a small orange disk with no detail. Largest scope out there was a 14" dob and Mars was no better in that than in either the 10" or the 8SE. Looked at several objects, including Ms 1, 31, 32, 35, 36, 37, 42, 43, 45, 51, 65, 66, 81, 82, 95, & 110. Also NGCs 457, 869/884, & 3628. At the end of the evening, we topped it all off with a low altitude rather squishy view of Saturn. First time Saturn observation in nearly a year! And the rings are much more open than last year! Still my favorite planet, by far. I'm gonna soak up as much Saturn as possible this year!

One thing I was really after was M95 and the SN. I believe I found it. M95 was nearly invisible in either scope but the SN was. I could only make out the galaxy using averted vision. As soon as I looked directly at it, it would disappear. But the SN is a little brighter so I could see it. One of the other club members, after looking, said he believed I bagged it as well. So I'm going to count it, at least for now. My first supernova!

I was going to do some afocal imaging. But, as usual, I forgot my camera!

All in all though, it was a very nice, relaxing, beautiful night! Gotta do that more often.

Just had to share this with y'all.

Edited by Skip (03/25/12 02:26 PM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Skip]
      #5142258 - 03/26/12 01:48 PM

Just finished reading through the latest reports, always a good read to us none obsevers, i know, we should pop in an eyepiece from time to time,but its just so much damned fun seeing our subs come down on the lap top screen.

Hope that cable arrived Peter,???

Looking good for tonight here in the UK, and for at least 2 more nights, hope you guy`s get out so you can post more reports,

best regards,

Tom.

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics