Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5912940 - 06/10/13 12:15 PM

Rained AGAIN last night.Previous night was hazy enough that only a few dozen stars with fuzzy halos could be seen AFTER 20 minutes or so of sitting waiting for dark adaption-it wasn't eyes that were the problem!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BigC]
      #5913390 - 06/10/13 03:37 PM

Thanks for the report James. Even though you had to cloud dodge, I bet it was good to be able to observe. Although Saturn is not best placed this year, low in the sky as it is, it's good to have it to fall back on when there's little else, apart from the Globulars, to view visually during the light nights of the summer months. The 8se, as ever, seems to have do it's stuff for you
I too have been stretching the legs of my CPC, Saturn being my main target. Also had a look at M5, M3 and M53. It never got really dark, (British Summer time and all that) before I had to pack in due to the weather, but I was well pleased with the scope.

Sorry you had no luck BigC. Hope things improve for you in the near future.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #5921751 - 06/15/13 06:29 AM

Just got finished packing things up from going out at 3:30ish this morning. I couldn't get a good alignment but I know it was my fault as I am not familiar with the stars that are out at that time of the morning. Plus, it's hard to align when you can barely see them. Not to mention when I did the Auto 2 Star, all the stars it listed were behind trees or houses. I got frustrated at first, but I said, "Heck with this" and did manual slewing. I wanted to look at the Andromeda Galaxy. So I pulled out my phone and used Google Sky. When there is a will, there is a way. I found it and was excited. I couldn't get much detail as I had street light behind me. None the less, I was happy to say I saw it. I really need to make some observing blinds. I think I might make a run to one of the big box hardware stores and see what kind of material I can find to build a set.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #5921772 - 06/15/13 07:21 AM

Glad to hear SOMEONE got some time in. I brought my 8SE and gear to work with me for the first time in a year, and for some reason, this area by Laredo had the bottom fall out of it yesterday. I have never seen so much rain and flooding in this dry area EVER. Water was rushing over roads and washed out alot of the gravel roads.

The imaging gods are not shining down upon me so far.
Its like they knew I was coming.

But will have some time hopefully. I figured if I can get some quick captures at night b4 I go to bed then I can spend my days processing, while getting paid.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5921777 - 06/15/13 07:29 AM

Quote:

I figured if I can get some quick captures at night b4 I go to bed then I can spend my days processing, while getting paid.

I have done that.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5922373 - 06/15/13 02:18 PM

Gee, and they say American workers are not that productive!

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#5924215 - 06/16/13 06:25 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

If it weren't for drug-smuggling, border-crossing illegals, THIS would be EPIC.

20*0'33"N, 99*49'35"W

You will see what I mean. Hope to image Moon and Saturn tonight.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5935446 - 06/22/13 10:10 PM

Finally, a night with no rain. Going to go out with my binos and look at the moon tonight. It's supposed to be a Super moon tonight. If the clouds hold out some, I might see what other sights I can see. Before I got my scope, I didn't care about the summer evening showers. Now, I am beginning to dislike them. I hope others are having a better time with their nights over the summer.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5935485 - 06/22/13 10:31 PM

Had a little luck last night before I passed out. Got the se out and aligned in about 10 minutes. Went right to Saturn. The seeing was poor but every so often I could make out the CD in a 10mm ep. Went to M13 and had a hard time with the moon almost full and Verizon, with all their flashing lights, was repairing a pole. My wife came out and was able to see it, after coming out from the bright house. She wanted to see Saturn and the Moon so I obliged . After she went in I went to M57, the ring, and was able to make it out. Popped in the OIII and was blown away, so much more detail. Went to M27, the dumbbell, which was a little low in the sky. Was a little hard to make out details. Spending a good 2 1/2 hours under the stars w/o the camera felt good.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#5936081 - 06/23/13 09:47 AM

What brand OIII filter you got James? Glad to hear y'all are getting some scope/bino time. It has been incredible clear here on location, but with wind gists up to 22 mph, well, you get the idea.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5936101 - 06/23/13 10:02 AM

I have the lumicon 2" OII, but I bought the Astronomik's Ha after seeing the rep at NEAF. He showed how tough the coatings were by storing them in dirt and scratching them with a screwdriver. I think they're a few bucks cheaper too.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5936209 - 06/23/13 11:28 AM

Hi James,

I've been trying to get one of those 2" Oxygen II filters but all I get offered is one with Sulphur (Sulfur) attached.

Also, with regard to that Ha filter: are you really convinced those offered at NEAF recently, will perform faultlessly, even after all that treatment that rep. dished out to them ? They might well have been a few bucks cheaper, but, even so,...... ?

Sorry James, but in response to my trying to juggle Nexstar OTA's into their corresponding mount shoes,....... well I just couldn't resist. No offence, I hope, please ?

Just my weird, English sense of humour (humor) !

Best regards, my good friend,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Tel]
      #5936619 - 06/23/13 03:34 PM

Well at least you have a sense of humor. When I tried to joke with the rep, a German fellow, by asking him if that was the new storage container for their filters, he just did not get it.

AS an American I am never offended (I just know we're better!) Actually, I just don't take myself or anyone else that seriously!

Hope you didn't have such a HARD time fitting your OTA into its mount shoe. Although I don't know why you would put it in a shoe (couldn't resist this time).

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5940971 - 06/26/13 07:17 AM

Rain Rain go away.. Come back another day..

How do you know it's summer in SC? Rain every afternoon until Sept.

I told the wife last night that I wish it would clear up so I can take the scope out. She said, but what about me. I said that is fine. I can take you out in the yard and try to bend you over and do an alignment but I don't think I would see much.

I'll just say we both ended up laughing about it. It went down hill fast. I am keeping it family friendly.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5941028 - 06/26/13 08:30 AM

In the film Halloween, a girl, out of her wits with fear, kicks a hole in the plaster board and hides in the cavity.

Yvonne said "I couldn't do that". " Yes you could" I said," but you would have to kick a bigger hole".

It was down hill from the start and got no better.

Regards. Peter

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5941055 - 06/26/13 08:49 AM

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5941058 - 06/26/13 08:51 AM

Quote:

In the film Halloween, a girl, out of her wits with fear, kicks a hole in the plaster board and hides in the cavity.

Yvonne said "I couldn't do that". " Yes you could" I said," but you would have to kick a bigger hole".

It was down hill from the start and got no better.

Regards. Peter

After reading your post Peter, the words of a song came to mind.."There may be trouble ahead" it goes on about moonlight and roses, but in your case, i think "dog house" and "your dinners in the dog" come to mind.

regards,

Tom.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #5941911 - 06/26/13 06:34 PM

Gee Peter, I thought all Brit humor was dry. I think I wet myself !

Does anyone have clear skies for a report????

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5941926 - 06/26/13 06:39 PM

Clear skies would be nice. Part of the tri county area are under Tornado Warning. 2.5in size hail coming down in parts of the area.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: ben2112]
      #5942617 - 06/27/13 07:58 AM

I have plenty clear skies. The upwards-on-25mph-wind-gusts just aren't cooperating. I took one vid of Saturn last night, but the blur was so bad that I cant post it.

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35799

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics