Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5942782 - 06/27/13 09:50 AM

Still overcast and dull in Yorkshire UK. Raining as I type. Monday night forecast as the next chance of clear skies. We live in hope.

Regards. Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5950827 - 07/02/13 07:04 AM

I am going through Clear Skies withdraw. We have had rain every day and night for the past 3 weeks. Not even long enough breaks to do some bino viewing. From the looks of the weather map, everything from the Mississippi River to the coast is nothing but storms.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #5951113 - 07/02/13 10:56 AM

The only clear nights here lately were full Moon nights.

I did use the 20x50 Selsi binos for a little while very late Saturday night,scanning Scorpio/Sagittarius.Spotted a few of the big nebulas and large open clusters before the clouds totally obscured the sky.(The 20x50s are my longest -owned observing tool after the Mark I eyeball(modified).Now know that I could have seen a lot more if I only had some guidance or idea in the earlier decades.Binocular viewing didn't get much mention in 1970 and 80s magazines that I recall.

Handy binoculars or grab-it scope are sanity savers during these long periods of clouidy weather.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BigC]
      #5951891 - 07/02/13 06:50 PM

BigC - Binos are great except for the humidity is so high here, that when I take my binos out, they fog up. Oh well, about 3 months of this left. Then back to cooler and hopefully clearer skies.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #5952669 - 07/03/13 08:22 AM

We have plenty of clear skies down here. If you can beat the 100+ NIGHTS sometimes, then the sky is the limit............. Literally.

Seriously, the other night, after 10pm it was still 102.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#5954353 - 07/04/13 05:48 AM

Does that include a high humidity? If it does, then that can be very dangerous. So far with all the rain we have been getting, we have a high humidity but below normal temps.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #5954419 - 07/04/13 07:53 AM

The morning occasionally are humid. But that being said, its just really, really hott!!!

Its so bad, out here on location we only have portapottys to use for business, and my general rule is trying no to use them between the hours of 11am-6pm. It gets upwards of 120+ in there.

Also, this particular location im on now has alot of dust mixed in with the gravel, so the slightest wind kicks it up, and I dont wanna have to clean that out of the scope.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5954650 - 07/04/13 11:47 AM

I haven't been able to get out any in the last few months due to work and finally a vacation, g. Wanted to get out last night but the clouds rolled in about the time I was getting ready to set up! Not sure about tonight but keeping my fingers crossed

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5955163 - 07/04/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Does that include a high humidity? If it does, then that can be very dangerous. So far with all the rain we have been getting, we have a high humidity but below normal temps.

It has cooled off here with all the rain and clouds the past week.Your right about high heat and humidity being dangerous;a couple days a week ago it was enough to cause me to immediately break out sweating just stepping out from under the shade trees.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BigC]
      #5955179 - 07/04/13 07:28 PM

I know how you feel. We get Heat Advisories here. Temps can go up to 100 degrees with 100% humidity. So far, we have only had one day of that. It's been so cloudy and raining so much, it hasn't been able to get real hot.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5957742 - 07/06/13 03:33 PM

I've taken the 4th weekend off and am in a pretty dark area. Am able to see the Milky Way. The last 2 nights have been great weather wise. Have had lots of family outreach going on. Had 8 kids and 6 adults waiting at the eyepiece. Saturn is of course every ones favorite.

It's nice to finally see things like the Veil and the Swan. I didn't realize the Ring is so bright. Simply amazing. Hope to get back here w/o the family to do some imaging within the next 2 weeks.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5957804 - 07/06/13 04:13 PM

James - Well that sounds like a pretty good 4th holiday to me! It's nice to be able to get to a dark sky and sounds like you are getting some good views. I'm sure your time out there will be remembered by all and maybe there are some new astronomers as a result of your willingness to show others what Astronomy is!! Hope you get more clear weather and lots of clear sky!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5958101 - 07/06/13 07:43 PM

If the weather channel forecast holds out, I will be out around midnight until dawn. Supposed to be clear skies.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5958470 - 07/07/13 04:37 AM

Similar situation here Ben. We are enjoying clear blue daytime skies but for the past two nights a blanket of thin white cloud has ruined my chances of observing. Serves me right for buying another scope.
I'll not give in though. I will stick to the routine of a few hours nap in the early evening and then sit up and wait for that elusive clear dark sky.
Pleased to read that some of us are having better luck observing and thanks for using this thread. It makes it a good reverence point for visual observing.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #5958542 - 07/07/13 07:21 AM

Peter - What our problem is here in the south is humidity. I took the binos out just to test the skies. The humidity was so high that seeing was terrible. I stayed out for about 30 minutes and just gave up. I think I'll just give up until about September or so. In the mean time, I'll just get a few things to prepare for my fall observing time.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#5958626 - 07/07/13 09:19 AM

Clouds last night but I've been catching up on reading instead My area (near Austin) is what I'd consider humid. Not as bad as when I lived near Houston though, g...

Edited by CelestronDaddy (07/07/13 09:20 AM)

John59
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5958675 - 07/07/13 10:13 AM

Quote:

Clouds last night but I've been catching up on reading instead My area (near Austin) is what I'd consider humid. Not as bad as when I lived near Houston though, g...

Same here. I kept poking my head out at different times this weekend hoping for some clear skies but it was not to be.
Some folks went out to Mansfield Dam but never bothered to unpack due the clouds not giving away enough to setup.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: John59]
      #5958679 - 07/07/13 10:19 AM

Hi John, We must not live to far apart (Meadows of Brushy Creek). I haven't made it to Mansfield Dam in a long time. Guess a group still gathers there on Fridays! Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5975428 - 07/17/13 03:11 AM

Finished making my Solar filter so managed some Solar observing yesterday afternoon. It was far too hot (30+deg) to sit behind the scope for long, so I left the scope tracking while I pottered around the garden, popping back for 5 minute observing sessions every so often.
As luck would have it, I also managed 45 minutes or so on the Moon last night. It was low in the S.W and I finely lost it to the clouds.
Not much I know, but after the baron spell I've had of late, it was good to hear the motors turning.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #5981825 - 07/20/13 06:53 PM

Got some viewing time in last night. The wife and I went looking for a dark site. I brought along the binos. we ended up at the gun range. it was so dark you could see the band of the Milky Way. we didn't stay long because it is supposed to be closed at dusk. I am going to contact the ranger station and see if I can setup a telescope there. It's in a blue area. I hope they say its OK.

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35374

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics