Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
JoshH
sage


Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: Jefferson City, MO
Sky Commander interface with planetarium software
      #4413096 - 02/26/11 02:12 PM

I am wanting in interface my Sky Commander with a Planetarium software program. I want the on screen display to follow where the telescope is pointing. I've seen this done before but I don't know how to set it up. I would like to use Starry Night as well since that is the software I have and am most familiar with.

Thanks, Josh


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Sky Commander interface with planetarium software new [Re: JoshH]
      #4413116 - 02/26/11 02:27 PM

Quote:

I am wanting in interface my Sky Commander with a Planetarium software program. I want the on screen display to follow where the telescope is pointing. I've seen this done before but I don't know how to set it up. I would like to use Starry Night as well since that is the software I have and am most familiar with.

Thanks, Josh




Starry night uses the ASCOM interface. You need to download and install that along with the driver for the Sky Commanders. And you will need the proper serial cable, of course.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoshH
sage


Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: Jefferson City, MO
Re: Sky Commander interface with planetarium software new [Re: rmollise]
      #4413166 - 02/26/11 02:45 PM

I have the serial cable. I also have the ASCOM interface installed. Where do I get the drivers for the Sky Commander. I don't see it on the Sky Engineering Website. Unless it comes with the Boot Flasher software?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Sky Commander interface with planetarium software new [Re: JoshH]
      #4413195 - 02/26/11 02:57 PM

Quote:

I have the serial cable. I also have the ASCOM interface installed. Where do I get the drivers for the Sky Commander. I don't see it on the Sky Engineering Website. Unless it comes with the Boot Flasher software?




With the latest version of ASCOM, the driver should already be there. Just select "Sky Commander" with the ASCOM Chooser.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoshH
sage


Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: Jefferson City, MO
Re: Sky Commander interface with planetarium software new [Re: rmollise]
      #4413419 - 02/26/11 05:22 PM

Well I got it to work with Cartes Du Ciel, so that is progress. Starry Night says there are no telescope plugins installed. Have to work on figuring that out. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Sky Commander interface with planetarium software new [Re: JoshH]
      #4414563 - 02/27/11 10:09 AM

Quote:

Well I got it to work with Cartes Du Ciel, so that is progress. Starry Night says there are no telescope plugins installed. Have to work on figuring that out. Thanks!




I'm not completely sure, since, while I have a copy of SNPP, I don't use it much, but I believe in the Starry Night world "plugin" = ASCOM. If you can't solve this you might want to check in with the Starry Night Yahoogroup.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
27 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 572

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics