Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
mak7
sage

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ
iOptron Mini Tower Pro ????
      #4413170 - 02/26/11 02:46 PM

Any users out there with comments or experiance ?

My CGEM takes way to long to assemble and align for school out reach. I find I'm not doing it anymore and want to change that. I had thought a T Rex or Discmount might be the ticket, but now I am thinking tracking would be a big plus as lines get long and view times kinda short.

I'd like to put a TEC 140 on it and it sounds as though it could handle it weight wise. Only for grab and go or outreach, NO IMAGING.
The OTA, diagonal,dovetail and EP should weigh in at 26 or 27 pounds.

Am I thinking about the right mount, how long is the alignment process for the Mini Tower and is it a proven mount ???

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: iOptron Mini Tower Pro ???? new [Re: mak7]
      #4413445 - 02/26/11 05:41 PM

I just ordered one of these from Steve Forbes at Trapezium telescopes for much the same reasons. He tears them down and upgrades them. You should give him a call. Sorry, no first hand experience yet myself.

/Ira

biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
Re: iOptron Mini Tower Pro ???? new [Re: Ira]
      #4413585 - 02/26/11 07:12 PM

hi.. i have both the MT and the MTPRO and without any hesitation i recommend the MT over the pro any day.. The MT firmware is so much better and the mount is way better when trapezium has done there bit on it. The pro has bigger axials but inferior bearings.. I do not recomend the pro , its too expensive and you can have the mods done to the MT and save some money.
I have been using the MT for 2years now its just remarkable how accurate it is .. the pro i have been using for 12mths and is just not as accurate.
cheers.
Graham.

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 623

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics